Reload this Page >

How's this for timing ??

Wikiposts

How's this for timing ??

Old Jul 29th 2003, 7:35 am
Just Joined

summertime is an unknown quantity at this point
Default How's this for timing ??

I'm interested to hear anyone's thoughts on this situation.

My husband and I filed for AOS in March in San Jose - received the letter of receipt back with a estimated interview to take place within the next 12-18 months.

We decide to relocate to the Philadelphia area and are officially terminating our lease in CA on 8/2 with a new lease in PA starting up a week later.

Guess what we got in the mail on Saturday. Our interview date - late in August - WHICH IS GREAT but we're concerned because we are no longer living within the San Jose jurisdiction and we're afraid that they will just forward our application on to Philly where we'll have to start all over again.

We plan on attending the interview (since we were going to be in town during that time anyway) and are hoping for the best.

Does anyone have any insight into a situation like this? Are we basically hoping to be interviewed by someone sympathetic to our timing or are there actual grace periods in place between the actual relocation date and the interview date ... ???

Any insight would be great - THANKS!
Old Jul 29th 2003, 7:54 am
ScarlettHill

Default Re: How's this for timing ??

Originally posted by summertime
I'm interested to hear anyone's thoughts on this situation.

My husband and I filed for AOS in March in San Jose - received the letter of receipt back with a estimated interview to take place within the next 12-18 months.

We decide to relocate to the Philadelphia area and are officially terminating our lease in CA on 8/2 with a new lease in PA starting up a week later.

Guess what we got in the mail on Saturday. Our interview date - late in August - WHICH IS GREAT but we're concerned because we are no longer living within the San Jose jurisdiction and we're afraid that they will just forward our application on to Philly where we'll have to start all over again.

We plan on attending the interview (since we were going to be in town during that time anyway) and are hoping for the best.

Does anyone have any insight into a situation like this? Are we basically hoping to be interviewed by someone sympathetic to our timing or are there actual grace periods in place between the actual relocation date and the interview date ... ???

Any insight would be great - THANKS!
EEK that's such a pain. From my memory of the letter, isn't there a contact for if you can't attend? Maybe it would be worth asking them if they could put your date forward because of the intended move?

If they can't, or don't get around to answering you in time, I think I'd be tempted to attend and hope for the best. At the best you'll be approved but will have to give them the new address to send the green card to. At worst you'll be able to give them the change of details in person and run less risk of updates to your file getting lost in the labyrinth.

I really feel for you. The timing sucks. Here's hoping you can work it out to your advantage.

Regards
-=-
Scarlett