Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

How would they figure out poverty line?

Wikiposts

How would they figure out poverty line?

Old Jun 29th 2003, 6:00 am
In the UK

Careybear will become famous soon enough
Default How would they figure out poverty line?

HI everyone...I'm really close to the 125% poverty line and am wondering if I have joint physical custody of my 2 kids and they're at their dad's exactly half of the time would they count them as 1 all together? I'm just wondering because I make over the amount for 3 people with my one Full-time job but not over the amount for 4 people in my household. Although, I do have a part time job i do online. I tried to get a letter from them stating how much I work and how much I make but I haven't received anything from them. I only work for 5 weeks at a time every time they give a standardized test. I don't really have anyone to ask to be a co-sponsor. Hopefully, they count my kids as just 1 altogether since I'm only responsible for them half of the time.

Does anyone know anything about this ?

Carey
Old Jun 29th 2003, 6:24 am
BE Forum Addict

Dekka's Angel is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: How would they figure out poverty line?

Originally posted by Careybear
HI everyone...I'm really close to the 125% poverty line and am wondering if I have joint physical custody of my 2 kids and they're at their dad's exactly half of the time would they count them as 1 all together? I'm just wondering because I make over the amount for 3 people with my one Full-time job but not over the amount for 4 people in my household. Although, I do have a part time job i do online. I tried to get a letter from them stating how much I work and how much I make but I haven't received anything from them. I only work for 5 weeks at a time every time they give a standardized test. I don't really have anyone to ask to be a co-sponsor. Hopefully, they count my kids as just 1 altogether since I'm only responsible for them half of the time.

Does anyone know anything about this ?

Carey
Unfortunately, the I-134 requires that you list all children who are "wholly or partially" dependent on you for support, and doesn't instruct you to alter the calculation to account for part-time custody. So even though they are only partially dependent on you, they still count as two children.

You might try writing a letter under penalty of perjury as an addendum to your I-134, explaining the circumstances of your custody arrangement, demonstrating that financially it really *is* only one child economically, and asking that they exercise their discretion based on the totality of the circumstances to find that you make enough money to pass muster. And, if you have asset evidence you can also use that to make up at least some of the difference.

I did this for my I-134, where my 2002 reportable income was under the guideline for my household size for reasons that were unique and not generally indicative of my financial condition or ability to support Dekkie.

Will it work? I don't know but might be worth a shot. I will let you know at somewhere around 10:00 PM tomorrow night Pacific Time.
Old Jun 29th 2003, 6:34 am

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Dekka's Angel
Will it work? I don't know but might be worth a shot. I will let you know at somewhere around 10:00 PM tomorrow night Pacific Time.
Woohoo! Is it that close? I'll be thinking good thoughts
Old Jun 29th 2003, 7:17 am
Howling at the Moon

lairdside will become famous soon enoughlairdside will become famous soon enough

Originally posted by meauxna
Woohoo! Is it that close? I'll be thinking good thoughts
Good luck DA - everything crossed for you and your Dekkie
Old Jun 29th 2003, 7:42 am
BE Enthusiast

BeachBunny is an unknown quantity at this point

Careybear.. Also, maybe try submitting copies of the checks you receive from your part-time company. Are you an independent contractor with them?
Old Jun 29th 2003, 11:04 am
BE Forum Addict

Dekka's Angel is an unknown quantity at this point

Thank you Meauxna and Lairdside for your well wishes.

It's going to be a long 30 hours more.....we are both frayed beyond belief, knowing full well now that short of Dekkie turning that awe-inspiring manly charm of his on the ConOff (who I think is female, otherwise it could get complicated for him!), we have done all we can do.

Except pray and light our candles (we each have a matching one, given as a gift three years ago at our very first meeting), and hope.

I'll keep you guys posted!
Old Jun 29th 2003, 3:19 pm
In the UK

Careybear will become famous soon enough

I'm a test scorer for high school or grade school students for ETS learning systems...so yeah they send statements saying when I worked for them and how much each check is. I've already given my fiance to check stubs and plan on giving him more. Also, I used my house, van and the insurance on the house as assets and sent in my original titles with my affidavit of support. I sent in my affidavit with my I129f petition so they would send it off to London when they're done approving my petition. At the time I had a different part-time job that I had a letter from my employer for. I should be okay because that job didn't pay as much as this online one does. But I am close though...yikes!!

Carey

Originally posted by BeachBunny
Careybear.. Also, maybe try submitting copies of the checks you receive from your part-time company. Are you an independent contractor with them?