Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

How to visit and pay for a visit to US Dr...

How to visit and pay for a visit to US Dr...

Old Jan 19th 2010, 1:12 pm
Chocoholic !

ChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond repute
Default How to visit and pay for a visit to US Dr...

June 2008 - arrive in US fully covered my hubby's Health Insurance.

August 2008 - visit Dr - have urine test - be given prescription for anti-biotics and be asked to pay $80. Go to pharmacy pay $5 for prescription.

September 2008 - receive statement from insurance co. showing Dr's submitted charges and the adjusted costs - insurance co. advises that Dr may charge you $96.

February 2009 - receive invoice from Debt Collector for $16 - pay $16.

January 2010 - receive invoice from another debt collector for $155 for 'lab work' from company you have never heard of.

Phone debt collector and ask who the hell these people are - be advised to call Dr.

Call Dr and be advised that this is the lab they used in AUGUST 2008!! for urine test. Ask why they did not send bill to you or insurance company - be advised to call lab as Dr only charges for Dr visit - lab work is billed separately.

Call lab and be advised that insurance company denied your claim as you 'were not covered' at that time and they did not send you their bill directly as you had selfishly moved in October 2008 without informing them even though you didn't know who they were.

Advise lab that insurance co. covered Dr's visit the same day so obviously you were covered.

Lab advises that they will remove this from collections and re-submit to insurance co as 'somebody's wires must have got crossed somewhere'.

In summary thank the heavens I have only had to go to the Dr's once - I can't believe it takes 18 months to sort out 1 visit to the Dr's office
Old Jan 19th 2010, 3:55 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Duncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How to visit and pay for a visit to US Dr...

Yup. I will always remember the lady who called me up in a massive panic because they had missed the submission deadline for a claim because our software kicked it back to her with errors when she submitted it on the deadline day. The time she had to submit the claim was 365 days and the claim was for over $250,000!
Old Jan 19th 2010, 4:26 pm
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ChocolateBabz
In summary thank the heavens I have only had to go to the Dr's once - I can't believe it takes 18 months to sort out 1 visit to the Dr's office
Well just thank your lucky stars we don't yet have communo-fascist MSRA Obamacare with waiting lists and death panels and sh!t like that.
Old Jan 20th 2010, 1:09 am
BE Enthusiast

Banksia is just really niceBanksia is just really niceBanksia is just really niceBanksia is just really niceBanksia is just really niceBanksia is just really niceBanksia is just really niceBanksia is just really niceBanksia is just really niceBanksia is just really niceBanksia is just really nice

And, of course, someone is paying for all that administrative thrashing around. And none of it improves the quality of care the system delivers.

What awaits you next time?
Old May 3rd 2010, 10:23 pm
Chocoholic !

ChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond repute

Ah good another letter from the collection agency - haven't heard from them in a while and it has been... let me see... 20 months now since my first and only visit to the doctor.

Call the lab again and ask what the insurance company said when they re-submitted their claim.

"Oh it doesn't look like it was re-submitted as all we had was the same information as last time."
"But you said you would take it out of collections and re-submit as I explained to you that I was most definitely covered"
"Maybe you should call your insurance company"

Well I tried but they work Eastern Time and I moved to the middle of this stupid flippin' country with their stupid flippin' time zones and crap bacon.

Time for a drink methinks...

Last edited by ChocolateBabz; May 3rd 2010 at 10:24 pm. Reason: typo
Old May 3rd 2010, 10:46 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

AmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond repute

June 2008 - arrive in US fully covered my hubby's Health Insurance.

August 2008 - visit Dr - have urine test - be given prescription for anti-biotics and be asked to pay $80. Go to pharmacy pay $5 for prescription.

September 2008 - receive statement from insurance co. showing Dr's submitted charges and the adjusted costs - insurance co. advises that Dr may charge you $96.

February 2009 - receive invoice from Debt Collector for $16 - pay $16.

January 2010 - receive invoice from another debt collector for $155 for 'lab work' from company you have never heard of.

Phone debt collector and ask who the hell these people are - be advised to call Dr.

Call Dr and be advised that this is the lab they used in AUGUST 2008!! for urine test. Ask why they did not send bill to you or insurance company - be advised to call lab as Dr only charges for Dr visit - lab work is billed separately.

Call lab and be advised that insurance company denied your claim as you 'were not covered' at that time and they did not send you their bill directly as you had selfishly moved in October 2008 without informing them even though you didn't know who they were.

Advise lab that insurance co. covered Dr's visit the same day so obviously you were covered.

Lab advises that they will remove this from collections and re-submit to insurance co as 'somebody's wires must have got crossed somewhere'.

Oh, but you haven't played the United Healthcare game then.....
Old May 4th 2010, 11:43 am

chartreuse is an unknown quantity at this point

Call the lab again and ask what the insurance company said when they re-submitted their claim.

"Oh it doesn't look like it was re-submitted as all we had was the same information as last time."
"But you said you would take it out of collections and re-submit as I explained to you that I was most definitely covered"
"Maybe you should call your insurance company"
Sounds like somebody's taking the piss.

Originally Posted by AmerLisa
Oh, but you haven't played the United Healthcare game then.....
We have United - what do I need to know?
Old May 4th 2010, 12:48 pm
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

Well I tried but they work Eastern Time and I moved to the middle of this stupid flippin' country with their stupid flippin' time zones and crap bacon.

Time for a drink methinks...
It was eating the American bacon & drinking the substandard California wine (Chateau Hi-Test Sulfite) that gave you the UTI in the first place!!
Old May 4th 2010, 2:46 pm
Chocoholic !

Originally Posted by robin1234
It was eating the American bacon & drinking the substandard California wine (Chateau Hi-Test Sulfite) that gave you the UTI in the first place!!
And here was me thinking it was the visit to the water park

Anyway I called Aetna this morning - they say the claim was never 'denied' but it is 'stuck' in their system and they will now submit it for processing. WTF that means I may never know. But they say the lab should have their money in 5 - 7 days and I will have an 'Explanation of Benefits' showing what portion I am liable for.

Hmmm don't think I'll hold my breath...
Old May 4th 2010, 2:48 pm
Chocoholic !

Originally Posted by chartreuse
Sounds like somebody's taking the piss.
Yep they took it alright and now they want to charge me $155 for it - I should be charging them for the privilege
Old May 4th 2010, 2:56 pm
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

Yep they took it alright and now they want to charge me $155 for it - I should be charging them for the privilege
Damn straight you should. Urine is a very valuable commodity.
Old May 5th 2010, 3:05 am
Who?

jumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond repute

And here was me thinking it was the visit to the water park

Anyway I called Aetna this morning - they say the claim was never 'denied' but it is 'stuck' in their system and they will now submit it for processing. WTF that means I may never know. But they say the lab should have their money in 5 - 7 days and I will have an 'Explanation of Benefits' showing what portion I am liable for.

Hmmm don't think I'll hold my breath...
Ahhh, Aetna. That explains everything.