How to stop dithering?

Old Jan 5th 2012, 10:04 am
Forum Regular

beatle is a name known to allbeatle is a name known to allbeatle is a name known to allbeatle is a name known to allbeatle is a name known to allbeatle is a name known to allbeatle is a name known to allbeatle is a name known to allbeatle is a name known to allbeatle is a name known to allbeatle is a name known to all
Default How to stop dithering?

I don't usually bear all on forums, but I am interested in how others moved forward.

I am in my late 30's married to an Australian with two small children, 4 and ababy. I came to Australia 10 years ago, for my partner and to escape after 9 years in London, which by the end had got a stale and didn't suit.

I am originally from the north.

I now live a comfortable if conventional life, with a few good friends and OK job, my career has gone backwards since moving to Oz. But at the mo I am concentrating on family instead.

I cannot however get rid of this feeling of not having settled, it eats away at me all the time. It comes in waves but doesn't ever go away.
I have parents, sister and her family in the UK. I feel my move to Oz has put a strain on some of my family, as they miss me and my children. My parents make a huge effort to visit, although as they get older this will be curtailed.

I find the journey back, with kids, very stressful and feel that I don't want to do it very often. My partner has a good job which supports us with very supportive people, his family live close by and are OK but obviously not mine. He is supportive of trying something different in the UK, but is worried about practicalities.

I feel trapped in a dilemma, go back and start again, with two small kids, or keep the status quo.
Old Jan 5th 2012, 4:50 pm
BE Enthusiast

The_English_Bride is a name known to allThe_English_Bride is a name known to allThe_English_Bride is a name known to allThe_English_Bride is a name known to allThe_English_Bride is a name known to allThe_English_Bride is a name known to allThe_English_Bride is a name known to allThe_English_Bride is a name known to allThe_English_Bride is a name known to allThe_English_Bride is a name known to allThe_English_Bride is a name known to all
Default Re: How to stop dithering?

Hi Beatle!

I don't think this is an easy decision for anyone, and many of us have had to make this decision at some time or another. I have gone back and forth myself over the past few years and can relate to the feeling of not quite having settled. Sure, I feel like I have accepted day-to-day life here (USA), but there has always been an underlying feeling that this is not quite home. Add to that how much I miss family and they miss me, and the birth of my son last year (my parents first grandchild) and the pull is even greater.

Financial health and job status is definitely an important consideration. I haven't had the best luck finding a good job and neither has my husband, so I don't feel we would be giving up much in that area if we moved, but if one of us did have a good job that would definitely be a consideration. However, I feel that simply going a long with things because they are comfortable and because immigration can be challenging probably shouldn't be the only reason you stay.

I am afraid of tackling the immigration process, moving with children, and finding a new job etc., but I feel that those are obstacles that can be overcome. I have family who are getting older and I fear more that I will lose the rest of our time together if I stay here. As it is, we only get to see each other once a year and i don't think that's enough for me. My husbands family are lovely, but that doesn't make up for the loss of time with my own family.

If your spouse is willing to explore the possibility of moving, I would at least look into your options as far as jobs go and start getting a feel for what needs to be done and how you might go about it. Maybe things will look clearer and not so scary once you plan afew things.
Old Jan 5th 2012, 5:40 pm
BE Enthusiast

MartinH is a splendid one to beholdMartinH is a splendid one to beholdMartinH is a splendid one to beholdMartinH is a splendid one to beholdMartinH is a splendid one to beholdMartinH is a splendid one to beholdMartinH is a splendid one to beholdMartinH is a splendid one to beholdMartinH is a splendid one to beholdMartinH is a splendid one to beholdMartinH is a splendid one to behold

....How to stop dithering?

....well maybe think about it for a bit and then decide
Old Jan 5th 2012, 6:23 pm
Just Joined

TandM is an unknown quantity at this point

At least your children are young, so you don't have to consider (as much) about interrupting schooling or leaving one behind because they have met someone they want to settle down with. I moved back to the UK when mine were young, never regretted it (although times were easier then). If they had been older and didn't want to move back with me, then that would have meant I wouldn't have moved back - I would not want to live on a different continent from my children, unless they chose to emigrate now, they have the benefit of having US passports, so can live in the UK or USA with no long winded processes to go through
Old Jan 6th 2012, 5:37 am
Forum Regular

beatle is a name known to allbeatle is a name known to allbeatle is a name known to allbeatle is a name known to allbeatle is a name known to allbeatle is a name known to allbeatle is a name known to allbeatle is a name known to allbeatle is a name known to allbeatle is a name known to allbeatle is a name known to all

Originally Posted by MartinH
....How to stop dithering?

....well maybe think about it for a bit and then decide
Sounds simple and straighforward! Why didn't I think of that.

I like the standard of living, space and physical beauty of Australia. I hated the overcrowding, pace of life of UK. It is scary to move and I don't want to ping pong. Perhaps I could but not with kids.

Anyone else hate that journey.
Old Jan 6th 2012, 7:35 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

Been there, done that, wearing the t shirt. The first 10 years werent too bad for me either in a mixed marriage with an Australian but that sense of alienation, which was perfectly liveable initially, just grew and grew to the point where I figured we were at a place in our lives where we could return to where I belonged. However the DH had other ideas and no way on this earth was he going to live in UK. As I said, the first 10 years were OK, the second 10 were something of a drudge as we raised the kids and the last 10 were awful - trapped, resentful, expensive etc.

So, I would say - what have you got to lose by giving it a go? If you dont feel like you belong in Australia after 10 years (and some of us just never feel that way) then work at sourcing an opportunity to get you back to UK and see what happens. If you just swan along on the road of least resistance then you will find yourself drifting past the point of no return.

For me, the opportunity came when my aged parents could no longer care for themselves independently so I am living here in their place (not ideal, but better than nothing) and the once obstinate DH has been amazing and is making the very best of his life here (and he does the trips back for rellies). For me, I have myself back again, not some pastiche of me!!!! I am so busy (as a retiree/carer) and just in awe of the beauty that surrounds me and the variety that is within such a short distance.

Apply for a job, book a ticket to get a job etc do something!

Last edited by quoll; Jan 6th 2012 at 7:38 am.
Old Jan 6th 2012, 9:15 am
Not actually a squirrel

brissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond repute

The journey is truly horrible and expensive.

I know the unsettled feeling you have, and in my experience, it never goes away... and like Quoll said, it gets worse as the years go by.

If I was you, I would grab the chance to go back to the UK with the kids while they are still young enough to not be disrupted (otherwise, your windows for opportunity become harder) and try to re-settle in the country in the UK, away from the city crowds.

All the best.
Old Jan 6th 2012, 5:41 pm
Home Sweet Home

Beedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by brissybee
The journey is truly horrible and expensive.

I know the unsettled feeling you have, and in my experience, it never goes away... and like Quoll said, it gets worse as the years go by.

If I was you, I would grab the chance to go back to the UK with the kids while they are still young enough to not be disrupted (otherwise, your windows for opportunity become harder) and try to re-settle in the country in the UK, away from the city crowds.

All the best.
How are your plans coming on Brissy? Or have you decided to stay there in "God's country?"
Old Jan 7th 2012, 2:05 am
Not actually a squirrel

brissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Beedubya
How are your plans coming on Brissy? Or have you decided to stay there in "God's country?"
Doing time 'til kid finishes senior at school.

Have decided to wait two more years then, all being well, off for a good spell in the UK with Aussie husband and kid on gap year.

Hopefully they will like it enough to stay.

Husband's kids (from ex) and his work make for a few more challenges!

Thanks for asking B. x
Old Jan 7th 2012, 3:47 am
Just Joined

coedyddinas has a brilliant futurecoedyddinas has a brilliant futurecoedyddinas has a brilliant futurecoedyddinas has a brilliant futurecoedyddinas has a brilliant futurecoedyddinas has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by beatle
Sounds simple and straighforward! Why didn't I think of that.

I like the standard of living, space and physical beauty of Australia. I hated the overcrowding, pace of life of UK. It is scary to move and I don't want to ping pong. Perhaps I could but not with kids.

Anyone else hate that journey.
I understand where you are coming from, after living in Oz for 17 years and my Australian other half not entertainng the idea of returning to the uk, he has now given the green light to go back if that is what I want - you would think this would make the move easy but now its me dithering and worrying about jobs and money. We both have good jobs here in Brisbane and it worries me that we won't be able to find good jobs in the UK or we get there and we hate it - although I love the cold and love going back when I do return. I think of the UK and my family (all of whom are in the UK) every day, and each trip back to the UK gets harder and harder, the longing of home never goes away. My husband's family have never really welcomed me so I don't regard them as my family as they regard me as an 'outsider'. But in saying all this I am still struggling with the 'will we' or 'won't we'! The comfortable and safe approach would be to stay here and keep making the long haul trips back with that big emotional heartache at the end of each trip. Its a tough decision - I hope you come to a decision that you are happy with, good luck, sorry for long reply but just letting you know you are not alone.
Old Jan 7th 2012, 4:54 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Alfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by beatle
I don't usually bear all on forums, but I am interested in how others moved forward.

I am in my late 30's married to an Australian with two small children, 4 and ababy. I came to Australia 10 years ago, for my partner and to escape after 9 years in London, which by the end had got a stale and didn't suit.

I am originally from the north.

I now live a comfortable if conventional life, with a few good friends and OK job, my career has gone backwards since moving to Oz. But at the mo I am concentrating on family instead.

I cannot however get rid of this feeling of not having settled, it eats away at me all the time. It comes in waves but doesn't ever go away.
I have parents, sister and her family in the UK. I feel my move to Oz has put a strain on some of my family, as they miss me and my children. My parents make a huge effort to visit, although as they get older this will be curtailed.

I find the journey back, with kids, very stressful and feel that I don't want to do it very often. My partner has a good job which supports us with very supportive people, his family live close by and are OK but obviously not mine. He is supportive of trying something different in the UK, but is worried about practicalities.

I feel trapped in a dilemma, go back and start again, with two small kids, or keep the status quo.

Just bear in mind that the UK is still in recession and jobs are not that easy to come by.

I would do a financial/job reccie before upping sticks.

I wish you all the best in wherever you decide to live.
Old Jan 7th 2012, 8:03 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by coedyddinas
I understand where you are coming from, after living in Oz for 17 years and my Australian other half not entertainng the idea of returning to the uk, he has now given the green light to go back if that is what I want - you would think this would make the move easy but now its me dithering and worrying about jobs and money. We both have good jobs here in Brisbane and it worries me that we won't be able to find good jobs in the UK or we get there and we hate it - although I love the cold and love going back when I do return. I think of the UK and my family (all of whom are in the UK) every day, and each trip back to the UK gets harder and harder, the longing of home never goes away. My husband's family have never really welcomed me so I don't regard them as my family as they regard me as an 'outsider'. But in saying all this I am still struggling with the 'will we' or 'won't we'! The comfortable and safe approach would be to stay here and keep making the long haul trips back with that big emotional heartache at the end of each trip. Its a tough decision - I hope you come to a decision that you are happy with, good luck, sorry for long reply but just letting you know you are not alone.
I guess the advice would be the same as if going in the other direction - dont burn any bridges, take a career break, rent out your house, try and source work before you leave etc.

Dont drift past the point of no return, if you really arent happy in Australia then being trapped there is a whole lot worse, believe me!
Old Jan 7th 2012, 8:40 am
Banned

chris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond repute

The UK hasn't been in recession for 18 months and depending on where you are living here and where you are going in the UK there could be little or no difference in the unemployment rate. Where we are the rate is 9% and where we are going in the UK is around half that. The same would be true for many others of course.

Originally Posted by Alfresco
Just bear in mind that the UK is still in recession and jobs are not that easy to come by.

I would do a financial/job reccie before upping sticks.

I wish you all the best in wherever you decide to live.
Old Jan 7th 2012, 9:29 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Alfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chris955
The UK hasn't been in recession for 18 months and depending on where you are living here and where you are going in the UK there could be little or no difference in the unemployment rate. Where we are the rate is 9% and where we are going in the UK is around half that. The same would be true for many others of course.
Well it was when we left in Sept 2010.
Old Jan 7th 2012, 9:54 am
Banned

chris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond repute

You realise it is now January 2012 don't you ? The recession actually ended in the summer of 2009.

Originally Posted by Alfresco
Well it was when we left in Sept 2010.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.