Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

How to pay in UK for I-130, and holiday OK?

How to pay in UK for I-130, and holiday OK?

Old Aug 3rd 2014, 5:58 pm
Forum Regular

WriterChick has a reputation beyond reputeWriterChick has a reputation beyond reputeWriterChick has a reputation beyond reputeWriterChick has a reputation beyond reputeWriterChick has a reputation beyond reputeWriterChick has a reputation beyond reputeWriterChick has a reputation beyond reputeWriterChick has a reputation beyond reputeWriterChick has a reputation beyond reputeWriterChick has a reputation beyond reputeWriterChick has a reputation beyond repute
Question How to pay in UK for I-130, and holiday OK?

We are ready to send in our I-130 on this coming Tuesday.

I am American, and my husband is British, and we live in London, and we have been married over three years.

We have a two week holiday out of the country booked for exactly one month from Tuesday.

So, although we will be here for a month after we send it, we will be gone for two weeks after 30 days have passed...

Can that cause any sort of issue?

I'm wondering if they might contact us while we are away, by mail, with something that has a deadline... I'm afraid if they do that, we may miss it and end up in a situation where it is officially too late to respond.

Is that a valid concern, or not?

Additionally: I've just read this quote below, and we had planned to use a money order, or an international bank draft, from the UK, in American dollars, because I do not have the funds in a bank account in the United States.

'The filing fee for a Form I-130 is $420. Use the following guidelines when you prepare your check or money order for Form I-130: The check or money order must be drawn on a bank or other financial institution located in the United States and must be payable in U.S. currency.'

The funds are in my UK account. Any suggestions please?

Can I use a UK credit card and just write the amount in UK dollars on the form?

Many thanks in advance for all your help, both now and in times past,
W.
Old Aug 3rd 2014, 8:02 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How to pay in UK for I-130, and holiday OK?

Originally Posted by WriterChick
.... Additionally: I've just read this quote below, and we had planned to use a money order, or an international bank draft, from the UK, in American dollars, because I do not have the funds in a bank account in the United States.

'The filing fee for a Form I-130 is $420. Use the following guidelines when you prepare your check or money order for Form I-130: The check or money order must be drawn on a bank or other financial institution located in the United States and must be payable in U.S. currency.'

The funds are in my UK account. Any suggestions please? ....
If you go to your bank and purchase a USD draft, it will almost certainly be drawn on a bank in NY.* If your bank is one of the larger ones, such as Barclay's, Lloyds, or HSBC it may be drawn on their own NY branch, but for other banks it will likely be drawn on Citibank, JPMorgan Chase, Wells Fargo, or Bank of New York.

* Where your check has your name, and the name of your bank on it, the USD draft will have your bank's name, and the name of their bank on it. The draft will be cleared by ultimately sending the draft to the bank named on the draft, not to your bank, in the same way that a cheque you write is cleared by sending it to your bank, not back to you.
Old Aug 3rd 2014, 9:08 pm

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute

Can you download the credit card payment form and use a UK credit card, or have they stopped that?
Old Aug 3rd 2014, 10:55 pm
Forum Regular

Clrsth is a jewel in the roughClrsth is a jewel in the roughClrsth is a jewel in the roughClrsth is a jewel in the rough

You can pay in pounds with a UK credit card. Form can be downloaded from US embassy in London site
Old Aug 4th 2014, 7:48 am
Forum Regular

WriterChick has a reputation beyond reputeWriterChick has a reputation beyond reputeWriterChick has a reputation beyond reputeWriterChick has a reputation beyond reputeWriterChick has a reputation beyond reputeWriterChick has a reputation beyond reputeWriterChick has a reputation beyond reputeWriterChick has a reputation beyond reputeWriterChick has a reputation beyond reputeWriterChick has a reputation beyond reputeWriterChick has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you both very much!

We will use the credit card.
Old Aug 4th 2014, 11:48 am
Forum Regular

Thank you all, again, for being so helpful, and so quick to respond, and so patient with me.

It means a lot to me.

Thank you all so much.