How to marry a US citzenship? Advice Please

Wikiposts

How to marry a US citzenship? Advice Please

Old Oct 28th 2004, 7:04 am
Just Joined

encierro is an unknown quantity at this point
Default How to marry a US citzenship? Advice Please

Hello-
I have read a lot on the internet but can't find anything exactly like my situation, so I was wondering if anybody here can help. I am a US Citzen living in the UK for the last couple years and plane on going back to the states in the next 4 or 5 months. At the end my fiance plans to come back to the states with me, but one little problem she is South African, with soon to be British passport. We plan on going to the states for a bit but actually getting married over in South Africa. Is this at all possible. Or possibly will we need to have a court wedding in the states first. She currently has her multi entry visa for the states, but I don't know how long she can stay in the states with that and I know she can't work on that. Does anybody out there have any advice.

Cheers
Old Oct 28th 2004, 7:08 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How to marry a US citzenship? Advice Please

Read www.uscis.gov and the faq at the root herefor more info.

There are plenty of options, K1 fiancee visa,
K3 marriage visa, and DCF if your resident in the UK, but I don't know how that works, I'm sure someone could chirp in with that.
Old Oct 28th 2004, 8:09 am
BE Forum Addict

sphyrapicus is a splendid one to beholdsphyrapicus is a splendid one to beholdsphyrapicus is a splendid one to beholdsphyrapicus is a splendid one to beholdsphyrapicus is a splendid one to beholdsphyrapicus is a splendid one to beholdsphyrapicus is a splendid one to beholdsphyrapicus is a splendid one to beholdsphyrapicus is a splendid one to beholdsphyrapicus is a splendid one to beholdsphyrapicus is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by encierro
Hello-
I have read a lot on the internet but can't find anything exactly like my situation, so I was wondering if anybody here can help. I am a US Citzen living in the UK for the last couple years and plane on going back to the states in the next 4 or 5 months. At the end my fiance plans to come back to the states with me, but one little problem she is South African, with soon to be British passport. We plan on going to the states for a bit but actually getting married over in South Africa. Is this at all possible. Or possibly will we need to have a court wedding in the states first. She currently has her multi entry visa for the states, but I don't know how long she can stay in the states with that and I know she can't work on that. Does anybody out there have any advice.

Cheers
The United States will recognize a valid marriage from South Africa.

See also: http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.php?pg=compare
Old Oct 28th 2004, 8:34 am

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by encierro
Hello-

Cheers
She can't come into the US to live and/or work here on her 'multi entry' visa (a tourist visa most likely).
If I were me, I'd have my courthouse wedding now, while I live in the UK and file a spousal petition through the USCIS and Consulate in London. In about 4 or 5 months, she would have her immigrant visa, which is her permission to live and work in the US. Both come to the US, activate her visa, drop off her stuff, and go to SA for the family wedding and celebration. Yes, technically you will be wed, so you don't worry about that marriage being recognized, it is a ceremony only.
After a nice holiday and collecting her other 'stuff' from her home there, both return to the US and live happily ever after.
Talk about have your cake and eat it too!

NB: you will be required to submit your past 3 years' tax returns, which you are required to file even when living overseas. If they're not done, now is the time to do them.
Old Oct 28th 2004, 9:09 am
BE Forum Addict

andrea874 has a reputation beyond reputeandrea874 has a reputation beyond reputeandrea874 has a reputation beyond reputeandrea874 has a reputation beyond reputeandrea874 has a reputation beyond reputeandrea874 has a reputation beyond reputeandrea874 has a reputation beyond reputeandrea874 has a reputation beyond reputeandrea874 has a reputation beyond reputeandrea874 has a reputation beyond reputeandrea874 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by meauxna
If I were me, I'd have my courthouse wedding now, while I live in the UK and file a spousal petition through the USCIS and Consulate in London.

...You're not you?!? Who ARE you then?

Sorry, I couldnt resist.
Old Oct 28th 2004, 9:21 am

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by andrea874
...You're not you?!? Who ARE you then?

Sorry, I couldnt resist.
Read carefully, grasshopper.

Your apology will be accepted forthwith
Old Oct 28th 2004, 9:24 am
BE Forum Addict

andrea874 has a reputation beyond reputeandrea874 has a reputation beyond reputeandrea874 has a reputation beyond reputeandrea874 has a reputation beyond reputeandrea874 has a reputation beyond reputeandrea874 has a reputation beyond reputeandrea874 has a reputation beyond reputeandrea874 has a reputation beyond reputeandrea874 has a reputation beyond reputeandrea874 has a reputation beyond reputeandrea874 has a reputation beyond repute

Read carefully, grasshopper.

Your apology will be accepted forthwith

...huh? It still says "If I were me"

Now who needs an apology HMMMMMMM? haha
Old Oct 28th 2004, 9:37 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

She can't come into the US to live and/or work here on her 'multi entry' visa (a tourist visa most likely).
If I were me, I'd have my courthouse wedding now, while I live in the UK and file a spousal petition through the USCIS and Consulate in London. In about 4 or 5 months, she would have her immigrant visa, which is her permission to live and work in the US. Both come to the US, activate her visa, drop off her stuff, and go to SA for the family wedding and celebration. Yes, technically you will be wed, so you don't worry about that marriage being recognized, it is a ceremony only.
After a nice holiday and collecting her other 'stuff' from her home there, both return to the US and live happily ever after.
Talk about have your cake and eat it too!

NB: you will be required to submit your past 3 years' tax returns, which you are required to file even when living overseas. If they're not done, now is the time to do them.
The way to go

Much less hassle all the way around
Old Oct 28th 2004, 9:37 am

Originally Posted by andrea874
...huh? It still says "If I were me"

Yes, it does.
Old Oct 28th 2004, 9:54 am
BE Forum Addict

Yes, it does.

I must be too Canadian to understand hahaha. I'll just go crawl back in my hole now haha