Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

how long for work permit?

Wikiposts

how long for work permit?

Old Jul 25th 2004, 11:08 pm
Scouse Git

torpkevuk is a name known to alltorpkevuk is a name known to alltorpkevuk is a name known to alltorpkevuk is a name known to alltorpkevuk is a name known to alltorpkevuk is a name known to alltorpkevuk is a name known to alltorpkevuk is a name known to alltorpkevuk is a name known to alltorpkevuk is a name known to alltorpkevuk is a name known to all
Default how long for work permit?

My application has been completed over in Nebraska and is enroute to London, and so I'm starting to try and wind things up at home, but the question pops up to me, how long will a work permit take when I enter the US?

A friend of mine uttered something along the lines of being able to sort it a lot quicker if i enter the country through New York but couldn't provide me with any details.

So after a lot of waffle, I'll get to the questions:

1) How long (average) will a work permit take, as I need to get a job and start earning some money etc asap

2) Can the process be expediated?

(dont know if it makes any difference, but I already have a social security number from when I worked over there on a J1 visa [2002 and 2003])
Old Jul 26th 2004, 1:18 am
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: how long for work permit?

As a K-1 recipient you can get the work authorization stamp if you go through JFK airport in New York. This will allow you to work for 90 days only. If you have not received your one year EAD before the 90 day temporary EAD expires you have to quit working and/or continue working illegally. You qualify for the one year EAD only after your marriage and your filing for Adjustment of Status and the I-765 for the EAD. It is currently running from 60 to 100? days for the EAD. You are eligible to walk into the local district office and "demand" an interim EAD if you have not received the one year EAD in the mail within 90 days of filing. So unless you are prepared to marry on the day you enter the US and file for AOS on the very same day, you will have a gap between authorization.

Damn shame that you are in such dire financial straits and must work immediately upon arrival when the system is so convoluted that it does not give you continuity in authorization. I'm sure you will work something out ;-)

Rete

Originally posted by torpkevuk
My application has been completed over in Nebraska and is enroute to London, and so I'm starting to try and wind things up at home, but the question pops up to me, how long will a work permit take when I enter the US?

A friend of mine uttered something along the lines of being able to sort it a lot quicker if i enter the country through New York but couldn't provide me with any details.

So after a lot of waffle, I'll get to the questions:

1) How long (average) will a work permit take, as I need to get a job and start earning some money etc asap

2) Can the process be expediated?

(dont know if it makes any difference, but I already have a social security number from when I worked over there on a J1 visa [2002 and 2003])
Old Jul 26th 2004, 1:56 am
Scouse Git

torpkevuk is a name known to alltorpkevuk is a name known to alltorpkevuk is a name known to alltorpkevuk is a name known to alltorpkevuk is a name known to alltorpkevuk is a name known to alltorpkevuk is a name known to alltorpkevuk is a name known to alltorpkevuk is a name known to alltorpkevuk is a name known to alltorpkevuk is a name known to all

Thanks for your swift response..
Is it only JFK you can do this at? And do I need to do anything in particular to get this done, or will they automatically go about doing it?

I can afford to survive when I get there, but not for too long hence why I wanted to know immediately.. luckily the company I work for now are willing to pay me a small "supplement" for the first couple of months im gone on the off chance they need some tech-support-by-email for a system i designed and installed for them. Which also begs the question, is this classed as work and do i need to declare it?
Old Jul 26th 2004, 2:03 am
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by torpkevuk
Thanks for your swift response..
Is it only JFK you can do this at? And do I need to do anything in particular to get this done, or will they automatically go about doing it?

I can afford to survive when I get there, but not for too long hence why I wanted to know immediately.. luckily the company I work for now are willing to pay me a small "supplement" for the first couple of months im gone on the off chance they need some tech-support-by-email for a system i designed and installed for them. Which also begs the question, is this classed as work and do i need to declare it?

JFK is the only POE that is giving the stamp. Yes, when you go through entry processing be sure to ask for the EAD stamp.

Some would say yes you are working if you do contract work for your former employer while you are living in the US. It is not like you are on vacation and are returning home.

Some would say no you are not working since you are not being paid in the US.

Rete