Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

How long?.... sorry, one last question :)

How long?.... sorry, one last question :)

Old Aug 16th 2009, 12:09 pm
BE Enthusiast

USAGypsies has a reputation beyond reputeUSAGypsies has a reputation beyond reputeUSAGypsies has a reputation beyond reputeUSAGypsies has a reputation beyond reputeUSAGypsies has a reputation beyond reputeUSAGypsies has a reputation beyond reputeUSAGypsies has a reputation beyond reputeUSAGypsies has a reputation beyond reputeUSAGypsies has a reputation beyond reputeUSAGypsies has a reputation beyond reputeUSAGypsies has a reputation beyond repute
Default How long?.... sorry, one last question :)

How long is long enough to know how you feel when you return to the UK? As some of you may remember, we 'panic fled' previously (although we did have legitimate reasons too but still, we did panic a bit).

Is it the same rules as when you originally emigrated? I'd hate to get 6 weeks or even 6 months down the road and say bugger this, I'm flying back to the States. Last time we lasted 10 days LOL Honestly though we had very specific reasons and we are MUCH more organized this time.
I'm thinking a sensible person would not truly reflect until at least 4 seasons had past. What do you think?
Old Aug 16th 2009, 12:37 pm
Just hanging around

Bevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How long?.... sorry, one last question :)

I can't remember why you panic fled last time, and why you want to return.

Are you going back to the same place, same problems?

Sorry if I'm missing the obvious. We're on the road, more or less, and I pick up when I can.

But yes, in general, and especially when you're very familiar with the UK already, seems to be you need to commit to a year. It's not the same as going to a completely unknown place, which can often turn out to be shockingly unlike our expectations so that we know quickly that there are some thing wrong that can't be fixed.

Sort of like checking into what looks like a lovely hotel for two weeks and finding out it's next to a 24 hour building site and we're allergic to the carpets. Just have to get out. Now.

Bev
Old Aug 16th 2009, 3:59 pm
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

Dh did the panic flight back to US after 6 weeks, Ds and I were there for a year. A kid needs his Dad so I ended up compromising.
Now I get to decide it all, he's said he's going along, seeing he'll be all alone here if he panics again, and he's got no family left here who give a toss about him.
This time it's a slow move, planning and taking us a long while to complete. We will move at the same time, no waiting behind to sell the house, same plane, everything.
He's feeling a bit better as we are planning on buying my Mums house an she wants something smaller, with less up keep. He loves her house (but doesn't realize it's due for some updates and reno's I'm not telling)
I think so long as it a move that is taken slow, you can have doubts and panics as you go, and stick with the program. If my Dh tries to back out last minute I'll bean him.
Old Aug 17th 2009, 2:03 am
BE Enthusiast

Location: Southern Ontario(house is SOLD on our way back to UK/aug 09)
dewdrop has much to be proud ofdewdrop has much to be proud ofdewdrop has much to be proud ofdewdrop has much to be proud ofdewdrop has much to be proud ofdewdrop has much to be proud ofdewdrop has much to be proud ofdewdrop has much to be proud ofdewdrop has much to be proud ofdewdrop has much to be proud ofdewdrop has much to be proud of

I know you are going to be just fine!!!! You do need to give it time and with your last post of getting into the community is a good one and the potted plant idea..buy LOTS!!!!!...and really when your children are settled into school and making friends..you won't want them to be moved around alot, when they are happy, its makes us mums happy..ahhhhh!...

I have the same thoughts...and they do say in this, ebook, that we got over internet..HOW to ARRIVE AND THRIVE IN THE UK...there is 5 steps to go thru once people arrive in a new country or expats....and we ALL goe thru those same emotions....I don't have my other computer with the names of the steps..its on the boat sailing across the atlantic At the mo...lol

Don't worry.it will just feel right..
or i'll bring the biggest house plant there is, so you'll have no choice but to stay.... LOL