Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

how long is the K-3 visa valid after issuance?

Wikiposts

how long is the K-3 visa valid after issuance?

Old Jan 22nd 2004, 8:31 am
Just Joined

roxi is an unknown quantity at this point
Default how long is the K-3 visa valid after issuance?

Hi....Does anyone know how long is a K-3 valid after the date that it is issued? I heard is valid only for 6 months...Is that true? And if it is, is there any possibility to get an extension by the date u can actually leave the country?
Thx....
Old Jan 22nd 2004, 8:37 am
Forum Regular

amylass is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: how long is the K-3 visa valid after issuance?

Originally posted by roxi
Hi....Does anyone know how long is a K-3 valid after the date that it is issued? I heard is valid only for 6 months...Is that true? And if it is, is there any possibility to get an extension by the date u can actually leave the country?
Thx....
Hi~

The K3 is valid for 2 years.
Old Jan 22nd 2004, 9:08 am
Just Joined

roxi is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by amylass
Hi~

The K3 is valid for 2 years.

2 years? ok..so if i can't leave the country right after the visa issuance there will be no problem.....cause in my case, there might be a problem...i am under a 2 years residency requierement, and i've just found out in my case a waiver will be denied so i have to wait here ...only 10 months left, but i've just found out that the K-3 was aproved and they sent the papers to the US Consulate in Bucharest...that means that my interview will be scheduled no later than at the end of february..so that's why i needed to know if there might be any problem
Old Jan 22nd 2004, 9:30 am
Forum Regular

2 years? ok..so if i can't leave the country right after the visa issuance there will be no problem.....cause in my case, there might be a problem...i am under a 2 years residency requierement, and i've just found out in my case a waiver will be denied so i have to wait here ...only 10 months left, but i've just found out that the K-3 was aproved and they sent the papers to the US Consulate in Bucharest...that means that my interview will be scheduled no later than at the end of february..so that's why i needed to know if there might be any problem
In my opinion, it should be fine, most people can't leave their home country right away after visa issuance due to any number of obligations they have to fulfill (i.e. jobs, family, property).

Being that I do not know first hand, it may not be a bad idea to let the consulate in Bucharest know at the time of your interview that you won't be leaving the country for the U.S. until later in the year. It may not make any difference to them, but it may give you peace of mind

Congratulations on your petition success, and best of luck at your interview.
Old Jan 22nd 2004, 9:33 am

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

I think you'll find that the K3 visa is good for six months and that your K3 status is valid for two years. There's a big difference.
Old Jan 22nd 2004, 9:38 am
At last in Josh's arms =)

JoshsCarole is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by meauxna
I think you'll find that the K3 visa is good for six months and that your K3 status is valid for two years. There's a big difference.
Does that mean we have to apply for AP after 6 months if we want to leave the country?

About AOS, does that mean we have 6 months to file or 2 years?
Old Jan 22nd 2004, 9:43 am
Forum Regular

Originally posted by meauxna

meauxna,

Thank you for replying. I hadn't realized that there was an expiration to the issuance date.