British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Marriage Based Visas (https://britishexpats.com/forum/marriage-based-visas-35/)
-   -   How long is an I-130 valid for??? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/marriage-based-visas-35/how-long-i-130-valid-929625/)

Nsb25 Dec 3rd 2019 6:58 am

How long is an I-130 valid for???

If your circumstances change and you can’t leave in the time frame you planned, how long would your I-130 petition approval be valid??

Thanks....

Noorah101 Dec 3rd 2019 9:50 am

Re: How long is an I-130 valid for???

If it's just at the I-130 approval stage, I believe you have 1 year to do the next step.

But if you've gone ask the way through the process and have the visa in hand, but decide not to use it, I don't think you can then use the same I-130 again; you'd have to start over.

Where are you currently in the process?

Rene

Nsb25 Dec 3rd 2019 10:57 am

We are waiting for approval of I-130.... we left an answer to a question without an N/A in it so we got that letter last week and mailed out their requested statement to them the next day. Now we have to wait for it to be reviewed again.

The reason I asked the question is because our target date to leave for US was beginning of April.. this is due to us having two cats and the airlines have heat embargo’s on flying pets between May and September. as we are moving to Texas the latest they can travel is April because of the heat and then the earliest they could fly over would be end of October/ November time because of the heat also.
We aren’t sure when the petition will now be approved and then after approval as you know there is the D-260 my husband has to complete, dr exam and interview. Depending on when it’s approved we aren’t sure how long it will take to get dr appt and then interview.
We would still have to ship our belongings, fly over to get a place to live, a car and numerous other bits to do then fly back and wait before we could leave permanently as my husband has to by contract give a 3 month notice. Unfortunately we have no where we could live w family due to the cats.
This is the reason I ask the question... if his petition gets approved somewhere between end of December and beginning of January its just too much to coordinate by April.

Will they keep his petition active if we don’t start the additional requirements until around August ????

Ive heard a year and I’ve also heard that they don’t expire so to speak ????????

Would we need to contact them to keep the petition active or is there a time frame that it just stays active???

Thanks for any help you can give us!!!

civilservant Dec 3rd 2019 11:15 am

You do not have to contact them. You have 12 months from the last date of action to begin the next step.

So if your I130 gets approved in December, you would be fine waiting to submit the next step until May or later so that your kitties can fly with no problems :)

Nsb25 Dec 3rd 2019 11:20 am

Thanks soooooo much for your help!!!! 👍😊

Nsb25 Dec 3rd 2019 11:51 am

One more question.... do y’all know what the current wait times for the drs appointments and the interview appointments???

Thanks again....

Noorah101 Dec 3rd 2019 12:38 pm

I think a couple of weeks for each.

How long ago did you submit the I-130? It can take 6 months or more for the I-130 approval. A bit longer with an RFE. So unless you submitted it back in summer of 2019, it probably won't get approved by December or January anyway.

Rene

Nsb25 Dec 3rd 2019 1:36 pm

They received it August 8th, but like I said we left one answer without a N/A .. got a letter about it last week and sent what they requested back to them the next day... so we could have possibly already had an approval but for our mistake... so now it’s just a waiting game...
I think we are just gonna postpone our move until October due to the cats flying and we have no idea how long the petition approval will take and then all the additional things like the dr appt and the interview appt. Not sure what the waiting times to get an appointment are....
Since the approved petition is good for a year we decided to just change dates that way we aren’t running around like crazy people to get things and coordinate a move that would require shipping our belongings, trips to Texas to find a place to live, buy a car and all the other bits that we would need to take care of by our original date of the beginning of April...
It just seems to be the better way to go so we have plenty of time for everything!!!
No need to make the process more stressful than it is.... 🙃

Noorah101 Dec 3rd 2019 3:19 pm

Something to keep in mind is that the visa will be valid for 6 months from the date of the medical exam, so plan accordingly.

Rene

Nsb25 Dec 4th 2019 5:40 am

I am aware of that one....
thank you for your help...