Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

How long to get employment authorization?

Wikiposts

How long to get employment authorization?

Old Aug 6th 2006, 11:57 am
Just Joined

claresnoo is an unknown quantity at this point
Default How long to get employment authorization?

I am a UK citizen on an H1b visa. I married a us citizen in the us in June. legalzoom.com are currently completing my paperwork. How long after the office in Vermont recieves our wee package of info till I get the card? is it fairly straightforward or is it likely to be a horrble cluster****? I would like to leave my current H1B job for more $ and a better schedule - but i don't want to be in "I don't have a card " limbo.

Any thoughts?

Clare
Old Aug 6th 2006, 12:27 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How long to get employment authorization?

Originally Posted by claresnoo
I am a UK citizen on an H1b visa. I married a us citizen in the us in June. legalzoom.com are currently completing my paperwork. How long after the office in Vermont recieves our wee package of info till I get the card? is it fairly straightforward or is it likely to be a horrble cluster****? I would like to leave my current H1B job for more $ and a better schedule - but i don't want to be in "I don't have a card " limbo.

Any thoughts?

Clare
You're kidding right? Tell me this is a joke post. Please, Please, tell me you're kidding.

Honey if you are posting the truth, I hope your H-1B visa is good for several more years because you ain't going to be getting that EAD until at least 2007 something.

First mistake was hiring an online service to do your paperwork and file for you. Why? Because the dumb arses filed the paperwork at the wrong place.

AOS petitions along with the I-130, I-765, etc. all to the Chicago lockbox and from there it is forwarded to the MSC and from there you get the letter to go for your biometrics for the AOS and the EAD and then you sit back and wait 90 days for the EAD and then you continue to sit back and wait for the letter for adjustment of status which will tell you when your AOS interview is at the local USCIS office in your area.

But your paperwork was sent to Vermont. Wonder if it will be returned to you for refiling or to the service you used? And if to them will they reforward it correctly this time or again to the wrong place?
Old Aug 6th 2006, 2:11 pm
I'm back!

Just Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rete
First mistake was hiring an online service to do your paperwork and file for you. Why? Because the dumb arses filed the paperwork at the wrong place.
LegalZoom.com apparently "prepare(s) all of the documents needed to obtain a green card. In addition, (they) review the answers you provide for common mistakes, giving you confidence that your application is ready for filing."

They charge $349 for the "Complete Green Card Package" -- application forms I-130, G-325A, I-485, I-864, I-693, I-765, I-131. All of which can be obtained for free from USCIS. Advice on filling them out and where to mail them can also be obtained for free on forums like this one. Oh well.

There is no mention about LegalZoom.com being the ones who actually mail the documents to the appropriate processing centers. All they do is review your answers for "completeness, spelling and grammar, as well as internal consistency of names, addresses and the like" (according to their disclaimer).

What probably happened is that the OP had LegalZoom review his application answers and when he got the a-ok, he printed them and sent them off to Vermont in error. There's no way to know if LegalZoom clarified to him in advance that he needed to read the form instructions to determine what the correct address was, without paying for their services, anyway.

~ Jenney
Old Aug 6th 2006, 3:12 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by claresnoo
I am a UK citizen on an H1b visa. I married a us citizen in the us in June. legalzoom.com are currently completing my paperwork. How long after the office in Vermont recieves our wee package of info till I get the card? i
Clare
Hi Clare,

legalzoom.com is currently completing the paperwork...but has it been mailed off yet?? Hopefully not, because it doesn't go to Vermont, it goes to the Chicago lockbox address.

If your paperwork goes correctly to the Chicago address, and you don't hear anything about your EAD for 90 days, you can make an Infopass appointment to inquire in person. A lot depends on when they send you the letter to go for biometrics. It seem most EADs are taking around 3 - 4 months, if filed properly.

Rene