Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

HOW LONG, filing from eastern europe?

Wikiposts

HOW LONG, filing from eastern europe?

Old Jul 30th 2003, 8:18 am
Max

Default HOW LONG, filing from eastern europe?

My husband and I will soon be filing the I-130 form in Poland. Does
anyone know how long it takes a Ukrainian to be approved?

Also, I am an American citizen, although I have not lived there up to
this point. Will that pose any problems? Can anyone give me any
advice? THANK YOU

Old Jul 30th 2003, 9:00 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: HOW LONG, filing from eastern europe?

Originally posted by Max
My husband and I will soon be filing the I-130 form in Poland. Does
anyone know how long it takes a Ukrainian to be approved?

Also, I am an American citizen, although I have not lived there up to
this point. Will that pose any problems? Can anyone give me any
advice? THANK YOU
Max, your case is a bit unique. Your best luck will be to contact the Consulate in Poland directly. Speak to the Immigrant Visa Unit. Here is the website with information on Immigrant Visas: http://www.usinfo.pl/consular/iv/iv.htm

First, you will have to ask them about proving your US Citizenship if you do not have a US passport etc.
You will have to show where in the US you will live and how you will support yourself and your foreign spouse.
Be aware that there *may* be delays for security checks on a Ukrainian citizen that are unique to that country.

You can find a good overview of the process (called DCF here, but not by the Consulates) at this website: http://k1.exit.com/dcf.html

It is a bit out of date, but will help you learn which forms you will need to file, police records to obtain, medical checklist etc.
Old Jul 31st 2003, 6:01 am
Dreamer

OlenkaKyiv will become famous soon enough

As a rule Ukrainian citizens don't have special and long check name like Russians.
Olenka
Old Jul 31st 2003, 10:27 am
BE Enthusiast

Richard III will become famous soon enoughRichard III will become famous soon enough
Default I am curious, why would that be?

OlenkaKyiv,

I am curious, why there is a distinction between Ukrainian and Russian name checks, or is it merely the fact that Russians go through the Moscow Consulate and Ukrainians go through Warsaw and Warsaw is just less busy or more efficient? I am past 140 days waiting for the name check to be completed on my Russian wife for her K-3 visa. Thanks for your response -

Richard III
Old Jul 31st 2003, 4:04 pm
Dreamer

Default Re: I am curious, why would that be?

Originally posted by Richard III
OlenkaKyiv,

I am curious, why there is a distinction between Ukrainian and Russian name checks, or is it merely the fact that Russians go through the Moscow Consulate and Ukrainians go through Warsaw and Warsaw is just less busy or more efficient? I am past 140 days waiting for the name check to be completed on my Russian wife for her K-3 visa. Thanks for your response -

Richard III
Richard, first of all I have to tell you that Ukrainians are going through Kiev since June 2, 2003, not through Warsaw.
Name check doesn't depend on the fact how busy Consulate is. As I understood the nature of name check is different because of political relationship between countries and US, probably another reason is great number of immigrants to US from countries which have the longest name check (like Russia and China). Middle East is suspected in terrorism, especially muslim countries.
Maybe you know that rules about visitor visa for Russian citizens are changed since August 1. They will be stricter and every person must do fingerprints even. I am not sure why. My guess is high level of illegal immigrants from Russia.

I am really sorry that you have been waiting for name check so long. I wish you the fastest process, because I know what it means to wait (Nebraska helps me to understand this )
Olenka
Old Jul 31st 2003, 6:34 pm
Forum Regular

Location: Technically, Dallas. But good luck finding me there.
jizlobber is an unknown quantity at this point

I-130 as in DCF (already married)? Not K-1 correct? It took our DCF 30 days to be approved in Prague.

After reading this board so much I don't understand how anyone could tolerate the molasses-in-January speed of a K-1.
Old Aug 1st 2003, 3:28 am
BE Enthusiast

Richard III will become famous soon enoughRichard III will become famous soon enough

OlenkaKyiv -

How nice for you that you will not have to travel to Warsaw, I always thought that was a little goofy anyway.

On the subject of the name check, whomever it is that is doing the work, they are clearly understaffed because the time lag is unreasonably long for Russian and Chinese K-1/K-2/K-3/K-4 applicants. It may also be that they do not receive the level of cooperation necessary for quicker processing from the authorities in Russia and China. Whatever the reason, there is little that can be done but wait. Nebraska is teaching you to be patient and the NVC is teaching me. By the way, my I-130 is being processed in Nebraska (I live about 110 miles (176 km) north of Colorado Springs, in Loveland) and the last time I checked they were processing petitions from June of 2002(!!). Talk about understaffed!! Good luck to you, I hope all things go well for you.

Richard III

Originally posted by OlenkaKyiv
Richard, first of all I have to tell you that Ukrainians are going through Kiev since June 2, 2003, not through Warsaw.
Name check doesn't depend on the fact how busy Consulate is. As I understood the nature of name check is different because of political relationship between countries and US, probably another reason is great number of immigrants to US from countries which have the longest name check (like Russia and China). Middle East is suspected in terrorism, especially muslim countries.
Maybe you know that rules about visitor visa for Russian citizens are changed since August 1. They will be stricter and every person must do fingerprints even. I am not sure why. My guess is high level of illegal immigrants from Russia.

I am really sorry that you have been waiting for name check so long. I wish you the fastest process, because I know what it means to wait (Nebraska helps me to understand this )
Olenka
Old Aug 1st 2003, 4:48 am
Dreamer

Hi Richard,
I wish our waiting to be shorter and NVC with NSC must understand that we miss our Lovelies
I am glad to know that you are close to my fiance city, lets keep in touch and maybe one day we will celebrate the end of our challenges

Good luck,
Olenka

Originally posted by Richard III
OlenkaKyiv -

How nice for you that you will not have to travel to Warsaw, I always thought that was a little goofy anyway.

On the subject of the name check, whomever it is that is doing the work, they are clearly understaffed because the time lag is unreasonably long for Russian and Chinese K-1/K-2/K-3/K-4 applicants. It may also be that they do not receive the level of cooperation necessary for quicker processing from the authorities in Russia and China. Whatever the reason, there is little that can be done but wait. Nebraska is teaching you to be patient and the NVC is teaching me. By the way, my I-130 is being processed in Nebraska (I live about 110 miles (176 km) north of Colorado Springs, in Loveland) and the last time I checked they were processing petitions from June of 2002(!!). Talk about understaffed!! Good luck to you, I hope all things go well for you.

Richard III
Old Aug 1st 2003, 5:21 am
BE Enthusiast

Olenka -

Spendid idea - I have told Elena that we would celebrate with Champagne and caviar when this is over. Nothing less will do. Wishing you and your fiance all the very best of everything.

Richard III
Old Aug 1st 2003, 8:47 am
Max

So after your I-130 was approved (and yes, already married), how long
did it take you guys to get an interview and go to the US?

I have a US passport, birth abroad form, ss number, everything, I just
don't LIVE there. I realize that there are some things I need to do to
prove that we will reside there, as in I probably have to leave him
here for a few months and go there. That's why I'm trying to figure
out how long it will take for him to be able to get a green card.

And as for K-3 visas, I have a friend who got married here in Kyiv
over 7 months ago and her K-3 hasn't been approved. That's scary.

jizlobber wrote in message news:...
    > I-130 as in DCF (already married)? Not K-1 correct? It took our DCF 30
    > days to be approved in Prague.
    >
    >
    >
    > After reading this board so much I don't understand how anyone could
    > tolerate the molasses-in-January speed of a K-1.

Old Aug 1st 2003, 10:10 am
BE Enthusiast

Max -

My story is a little different, actually. Elena was in the US on a tourist visa when we were married last October, but she had to return to Russia to serve out the remainder of her J-1 visa requirements (teaching 24 months in her country of origin). She had 10 months remaining on her J-1 obligation when she left. So, after she returned to Russia, I filed an I-130, followed by an I-129F for a K-3. My I-129F petition was approved on March 12, 2003 and passed along to the NVC where it has been ever since, waiting for the name check to be processed. As it happens, her J-1 obligation will be satisfied on August 10th.

So, we don't know, yet, how long we are going to have to wait before we get our appointment for our interview.

It did take Elena about three months to get her police certificate, so that is something you should get started on real soon. For some reason, there is a lot of bureaucratic wrangling that must be worked through, at least in Russia. I suspect that other Eastern Bloc countries may have similar problems because many of them learned from the Soviets. You will need a police certificate from every municipality lived in for more than a year, including where college was attended, etc. Or, if you are lucky, one certificate with all names ever used and for all cities lived in, all on one certificate. I hope this is helpful. I wish you good fortune (I don't believe in luck).

Richard III

Originally posted by Max
So after your I-130 was approved (and yes, already married), how long
did it take you guys to get an interview and go to the US?

I have a US passport, birth abroad form, ss number, everything, I just
don't LIVE there. I realize that there are some things I need to do to
prove that we will reside there, as in I probably have to leave him
here for a few months and go there. That's why I'm trying to figure
out how long it will take for him to be able to get a green card.

And as for K-3 visas, I have a friend who got married here in Kyiv
over 7 months ago and her K-3 hasn't been approved. That's scary.

jizlobber wrote in message news:...
    > I-130 as in DCF (already married)? Not K-1 correct? It took our DCF 30
    > days to be approved in Prague.
    >
    >
    >
    > After reading this board so much I don't understand how anyone could
    > tolerate the molasses-in-January speed of a K-1.
Old Aug 1st 2003, 11:00 am
Sj

It's easy to understand. Some countries don't allow DCF. So we have
no choice but to go K1 or K3; both of which are taking about the same
time.

SJ

On Fri, 01 Aug 2003 06:34:50 +0000, jizlobber
wrote:

>I-130 as in DCF (already married)? Not K-1 correct? It took our DCF 30
    >days to be approved in Prague.
    >After reading this board so much I don't understand how anyone could
    >tolerate the molasses-in-January speed of a K-1.