Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

How long does it usually take from NVC to embassy?

Wikiposts

How long does it usually take from NVC to embassy?

Old Feb 19th 2004, 4:39 am
BE Enthusiast

Location: Me - Illinois, USA / Husband - Palma de Mallorca, Spain
Michi is an unknown quantity at this point
Default How long does it usually take from NVC to embassy?

Hi everyone, I was just wondering if everybody could kindly post what their experiences have been....how lond did it take for your guy's case to get from NVC to the embassy? What is the "norm"?

I'm getting pretty frustrated because tomorrow will be 2 weeks, and still nothing, the embassy doesn't have our case yet. This is so unfair, first MSC/NBC took forever to approve us, and now who knows when the embassy will receive our case. 2 weeks just seems ridiculous to me. And then I look at Hyper's and Sibsie's timeline (we're going through the same embassy) and their's was there much quicker than mine This is so unfair!!

Sorry for the little rant, but I feel much more better know
Old Feb 19th 2004, 5:15 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How long does it usually take from NVC to embassy?

Originally posted by Michi
Hi everyone, I was just wondering if everybody could kindly post what their experiences have been....how lond did it take for your guy's case to get from NVC to the embassy? What is the "norm"?

I'm getting pretty frustrated because tomorrow will be 2 weeks, and still nothing, the embassy doesn't have our case yet. This is so unfair, first MSC/NBC took forever to approve us, and now who knows when the embassy will receive our case. 2 weeks just seems ridiculous to me. And then I look at Hyper's and Sibsie's timeline (we're going through the same embassy) and their's was there much quicker than mine This is so unfair!!

Hi Michi,

Call NVC at 603-334-0700 Mon - Fri between 8:00 a.m. to 6:45 p.m. Eastern time. Press 1, then 2, to get a live operator. If you get a recording that says "please use our auto system", just hang up, you'll be on hold forever. If they say "you may wait X number of minutes", then stay on hold and you'll get a live operator. She can at least tell you if your file is there at NVC, and whether it's been forwarded to the consulate.

Good Luck!
Rene
Old Feb 19th 2004, 5:20 am
BE Enthusiast

Thanks Rene, actually, I've already done that, it was forwarded on Feb. 6th. I was just wondering what everybody else's experience has been, how long does it take from when NVC sends it to the consulate till the consulate actually receives it? 1 week? 2 weeks? just curious

Last edited by Michi; Feb 19th 2004 at 8:05 am.
Old Feb 19th 2004, 5:22 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks Rene, actually, I've already done that, it war forwarded on Feb. 6th. I was just wondering what everybody else's experience has been, how long does it take from when NVC sends it to the consulate till the consulate actually receives it? 1 week? 2 weeks? just curious
Ohhhh, ok. Sorry, I misunderstood your question. From what I've read on here, it seems to sometimes depend on when your file gets put in a bin for delivery to the consulate. If it's at the top of a bin ready to go out, it gets sent out sooner. If it gets at the bottom of a new bin and has to wait for that bin to fill up, it gets sent later.

Good luck, and I hope it gets to the destination soon!

Rene
Old Feb 19th 2004, 5:48 am
Queen of the Obvious

KimJ is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by Noorah101
Ohhhh, ok. Sorry, I misunderstood your question. From what I've read on here, it seems to sometimes depend on when your file gets put in a bin for delivery to the consulate. If it's at the top of a bin ready to go out, it gets sent out sooner. If it gets at the bottom of a new bin and has to wait for that bin to fill up, it gets sent later.

Good luck, and I hope it gets to the destination soon!

Rene
Hmmm... I assume it takes a longer time for the 'Sweden' bin to get filled...

Drat!
Old Feb 19th 2004, 5:57 am
BE Enthusiast

tmushen is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks Rene, actually, I've already done that, it war forwarded on Feb. 6th. I was just wondering what everybody else's experience has been, how long does it take from when NVC sends it to the consulate till the consulate actually receives it? 1 week? 2 weeks? just curious
My file was forwarded to Turkey on 2/5 and just got to the Embassy yesterday. I hope that helps as it should be there any day now.
Old Feb 19th 2004, 6:55 am
Found: My soul mate!!

mrs.jar2b will become famous soon enoughmrs.jar2b will become famous soon enough

Hi Michi,
I'm still waiting too, although not quite as long as you've been yet. I emailed London a couple of days ago to see if they got our case yet and this is what they wrote back:

"We have not yet received a file for your husband from the national Visa
Center (NVC) but it can take 2-3 weeks to arrive here after being dispatched.

We can check again for you next week."

Fair enough. It's been just over a week for us now.

Good luck and keep me posted!
Jackie
Old Feb 19th 2004, 7:21 am
Valley of the Sun

souls canuck is a splendid one to beholdsouls canuck is a splendid one to beholdsouls canuck is a splendid one to beholdsouls canuck is a splendid one to beholdsouls canuck is a splendid one to beholdsouls canuck is a splendid one to beholdsouls canuck is a splendid one to beholdsouls canuck is a splendid one to beholdsouls canuck is a splendid one to beholdsouls canuck is a splendid one to beholdsouls canuck is a splendid one to behold

I think our case was there less then a week.. while some are there for weeks on end.. it doesnt seem to be the same for everyone.. sadly.. I wish all service centers worked at the same speed so it would be somewhat fair for all of us lovebirds waiting.. some take a month or two, while you nebraska people.. that's awful...
Old Feb 19th 2004, 7:27 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally posted by mrs.jar2b
Hi Michi,
I'm still waiting too, although not quite as long as you've been yet. I emailed London a couple of days ago to see if they got our case yet and this is what they wrote back:

Jackie
The good thing is that we were out of NVC pretty fast, it could've been worse, we could've been stuck at NVC forever, oh well. I just must have some pretty bad luck...lol. The bad thing is that we can only call the embassy in Madrid between 2:30 - 4:30 .... 2 whole hours!! And of course, there are days like today, when they won't even answer the phone
Old Feb 19th 2004, 7:30 am
BE Enthusiast

utopiacowboy is a jewel in the roughutopiacowboy is a jewel in the roughutopiacowboy is a jewel in the roughutopiacowboy is a jewel in the roughutopiacowboy is a jewel in the rough

You are lucky dealing with London. They actually respond to inquiries. The gang in Bogota leave the phone off the hook so they don't have to answer it and don't answer their emails. The NVC sent me a letter saying they had sent the file to Bogota on January 22. It is now February 19 and still no word from Bogota on the packet. My congressman's immigration liason says to give them a couple more weeks and then they will apply some pressure. So close and yet so far.

Hi Michi,

Jackie
Old Feb 19th 2004, 7:41 am

mrs.jar2b will become famous soon enoughmrs.jar2b will become famous soon enough

Originally posted by utopiacowboy
You are lucky dealing with London. They actually respond to inquiries. The gang in Bogota leave the phone off the hook so they don't have to answer it and don't answer their emails. The NVC sent me a letter saying they had sent the file to Bogota on January 22. It is now February 19 and still no word from Bogota on the packet. My congressman's immigration liason says to give them a couple more weeks and then they will apply some pressure. So close and yet so far.
Ugh!! How frustrating! Since getting out of MSC/NBC I'm almost floating on cloud 9 because I'm actually seeing progress after three months of seeing nothing. And any little thing helps. Yesterday I got the letter from NVC saying that they forwarded our case to London on Feb 12 and I felt that much closer to the end result. But I think a lot of my feeling of relief is coming from the fact that I know that London is reachable and if I have a question or concern I know I'll get a response from them. Don't feel so much like a number as I did when our case was hanging around MSC.

Hang in there cowboy! It's *gotta* happen soon for you!

And, Lily, I'm sure you are just a day or two away!
Old Feb 19th 2004, 7:43 am

jeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond repute

Michi,

I think what you want to know is not how long from the NVC to the embassy, but how long from the NVC to the IV unit of the embassy's consular section. There can be a difference, depending on how big and busy the embassy is and how it's internal mail distribution is handled. The embassy may have the file but it hasn't yet gotten to the people who will be working it.

In my case it took 3 weeks from the time the NVC sent the case until the time the IV unit had it.

I've heard of cases that have taken well over a month in a certain country because shipments from the NVC sat in the country's Customs house until the embassy could get them cleared.

Regards, JEff

Old Feb 19th 2004, 7:57 am

Originally posted by jeffreyhy
Michi,

I think what you want to know is not how long from the NVC to the embassy, but how long from the NVC to the IV unit of the embassy's consular section. There can be a difference, depending on how big and busy the embassy is and how it's internal mail distribution is handled. The embassy may have the file but it hasn't yet gotten to the people who will be working it.

In my case it took 3 weeks from the time the NVC sent the case until the time the IV unit had it.

I've heard of cases that have taken well over a month in a certain country because shipments from the NVC sat in the country's Customs house until the embassy could get them cleared.

Regards, JEff
JEff,
Just curious ... what does the IV stand for (IV unit of the embassy's consular section)? Immigrant Visa (even tho a K3 isn't an immigrant visa)?

I'm one of those inquisitive idiots! heheh

Thanks for your response to Michi, by the way ... that makes sense!

Thanks!
Jackie
Old Feb 19th 2004, 7:59 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally posted by jeffreyhy
Michi,

Regards, JEff
Gosh Jeffrey, you always know the right answer Thanks so much for answering

So then, maybe, just maybe, Madrid's embassy may have it, it's just that they are real busy and it hasn't reached the IV unit..... well, that makes me feel a "little" better I'll hold on to that thought, instead of thinking that it's lost in the mail. Thanks again,

Lily,
Old Feb 19th 2004, 9:10 am

jeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond repute

Jackie,

Yes, IV stands for Immigrant Visa. I appologize for the confusion over the use of the acronym.

Although the K visas are non-immigrant visas they are processed by the Immigrant Visa units because of concerns that are common with immigrant visa applications.

Regards, JEff

JEff,
Just curious ... what does the IV stand for (IV unit of the embassy's consular section)? Immigrant Visa (even tho a K3 isn't an immigrant visa)?

I'm one of those inquisitive idiots! heheh

Thanks for your response to Michi, by the way ... that makes sense!

Thanks!
Jackie

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.