how long does it take and how do I get a spouse visa for my wife

Wikiposts

how long does it take and how do I get a spouse visa for my wife

Old Dec 10th 2002, 4:18 am
Just Joined

Horton is an unknown quantity at this point
Default how long does it take and how do I get a spouse visa for my wife

I went to Japan with my then fiance.
We got married in Japan and wish to come back to the UK.

Anyone know if we can sort out her visa while still in japan or do we have to arrange it in the UK?

Also how long does it take to sort out as we are both really bored with Japan and want to leave ASAP.
Old Dec 10th 2002, 9:34 am

Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute
You didn't make it clear which nationality your spouse is...you said that you went to Japan *with* your then fiancee. Or did you mean you went to Japan to *be* with your fiancee?

If she is not a British citizen, you will need to contact the British Embassy. I don't know where you are living, but there will be the main office in Tokyo and perhaps a consulate in Kyoto? Just do a search on 'google' for the British Embassy, Japan. They will advise what to do.

Good Luck!
Old Dec 10th 2002, 7:11 pm

Herman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud of
Default Re: how long does it take and how do I get a spouse visa for my wife

Originally posted by Horton
I went to Japan with my then fiance.
We got married in Japan and wish to come back to the UK.

Anyone know if we can sort out her visa while still in japan or do we have to arrange it in the UK?

Also how long does it take to sort out as we are both really bored with Japan and want to leave ASAP.
I am British and came to Australia with my Czech fiancee a couple of years ago and we are now married and returning to the UK. The British consulate here said they can issue an entry clearance for my wife, which gives her a year in the UK with full work rights, after which we apply for permanent leave for her to remain in the UK. Try your nearest British consulate and see what they say. If its no then you'll have apply to the UK - not sure if in person, I suspect so though as part of the process is an interview (which we have to travel to the British Consulate in Canberra for).
Cheers.
Old Dec 10th 2002, 8:23 pm
Just Joined

Horton is an unknown quantity at this point

thanks for the info....

I went to Japan with my wife, but she is Japanese - she was studying in England and we went to Japan to be married.
Old Dec 15th 2002, 4:15 pm
BE Enthusiast

Vicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond repute

I applied for my entry permit in Canberra and it was issued the very next day. My interview lasted about 5 minutes, but I had all the documentation required plus we had been married for 7 years. However, some others were getting a hard time. I think as long as your case is bona fide you won't have any hassles.

I think you may find it would be illegal for your wife to return to the UK and try to adjust her status. The likely result is she will be denied entry and sent straight back home.

Getting the permanent leave to remain in the UK involves trekking down to Croydon and getting into line for what will be the worst day of her life. You have to be there well before the office opens at 9 or you will be lucky to get thru. I got there about 8.45, got inside about 10.00, then had to wait until 11.30 for my interview. Of course the day I chose their computers were down so I had the choice of leaving my documents or coming back the next day. First time we were resident in the UK when I applied for the permanent leave I waited for my permit and I was there from 8.30 in the morning until 5.30 p.m. You can't leave the office in case your number is called and it is all very boring.
Old Jan 4th 2003, 9:50 pm
Just Joined

faeryred is an unknown quantity at this point

Go to this site www.ind.homeoffice.gov.uk you must apply in Japan or your wife will be refused at the airport because of no entry clearance. You can download the relevant forms at this site, it is user friendly. Good luck