Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

How long does it take to get visa for a wife?

Wikiposts

How long does it take to get visa for a wife?

Old May 8th 2007, 2:03 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How long does it take to get visa for a wife?

Originally Posted by Ivanov Andrei
On the US embassy in Moscow page, they say that K-3 has to be applied
for in Russia.
If I understand the process correctly for K-3, I have to:
1. Get an approved I-129F petition (have to file for it here in the
US).
2. File for I-130 petition.
3. Go get married.
4. Then we apply for K-3.
I haven't looked at the link yet, but the K-3 process is as follows:
1. Go to Russia, get married.
2. You return to the USA and file I-130.
3. When you get NOA from I-130, you file I-129F.
4. Eventually the case will get transferred to Russia.
5. She will be sent K-3 visa forms to apply for visa.
6. She will go to interview in Russia, receive K-3, and come to the USA.

This whole process, from the time you file the I-130 to the time she gets her K-3 visa, can take 6 to 12 months. Same as the I-130 leading to the Immigrant Visa. The K-3 is a little outdated now, because I-130 processing has sped up recently, so that it no longer takes years for the I-130 to process (the K-3 allowed the immigrant to "wait" in the USA until the I-130 was approved).

You can go this route if you want to, but unless you want to wait in Russia with her, after you file the I-129F, you will still have a period of separation.

Rene
Old May 9th 2007, 12:24 am
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Is this information not accurate anymore?
The information is accurate, but you are confusing two distinct and separate processes - applying for the visa, and getting the visa. You must *apply* for the visa in the US. When the paperwork (I-130,I-129f) is approved, the visa is *issued* in Russia.

Ian
Old May 9th 2007, 2:20 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
The information is accurate, but you are confusing two distinct and separate processes - applying for the visa, and getting the visa. You must *apply* for the visa in the US. When the paperwork (I-130,I-129f) is approved, the visa is *issued* in Russia.

Ian
To be even more precise, the OP will *petition* for his spouse by filing the I-130/I-129F in the USA. The his spouse will *apply* for the visa in Russia. The visa isn't actually applied for in the USA.

Rene
Old May 9th 2007, 5:04 am
Forum Regular

violator_dm will become famous soon enoughviolator_dm will become famous soon enough

I am not sure about the DCF anymore, but it was the route we took back in 2004.
Old May 9th 2007, 5:08 am

Originally Posted by violator_dm
I believe the USC must be resident in Russia for 6+ months in order to be considered for DCF there. If the OP can swing it, maybe that's the way to go. He could definitely look into it.

Rene
Old May 9th 2007, 6:37 am

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by violator_dm
http://britishexpats.com/forum/showp...2&postcount=14
Old May 9th 2007, 11:04 am
Forum Regular

violator_dm will become famous soon enoughviolator_dm will become famous soon enough

It was the case back then as well. But if the poster is willing to wait 6 months in Russia to be eligible to apply, his wife will get an immigrant visa three months after they apply. That's how long it took us from the day we applied to the day DHL delivered my brown envelope.
Old May 9th 2007, 2:00 pm
Ivanov Andrei

On May 9, 6:04 pm, violator_dm <[email protected]>
wrote:
> >http://britishexpats.com/forum/showp...832&postcount
>
> It was the case back then as well. But if the poster is willing to wait
> 6 months in Russia to be eligible to apply, his wife will get an
> immigrant visa three months after they apply. That's how long it took us
> from the day we applied to the day DHL delivered my brown envelope.
>
> --
> regards
> Posted viahttp://britishexpats.com

Thank you all for answers, even though I'm not really thrilled about
them....that's life.
Regarding K-1 visa....well, here's a thing.
Her sister lives in the US, married to USC. They're in the process of
applying for a visitor visa for her mom to come and stay in the US for
a few months.
Assuming mom gets the visitor visa:
1. Could my gf then get a K-1 visa? Basically it'll look like both mom
and gf will be in the US around the same time.
2. Would it be better to wait until mom arrives in the US to try and
apply for K-1?
3. Can mom's visa be approved and then when we apply for K-1, be taken
away?

Just trying to see if it's possible to have her mom at the wedding..
Thanks,
Andrei

Old May 9th 2007, 2:39 pm

1. Could my gf then get a K-1 visa? Basically it'll look like both mom
and gf will be in the US around the same time.
Yes, your gf can still get the K-1 visa, even if mom gets a visitor visa. Their applications are totally independent of one another. If they happen to arrive in the USA around the same time, so be it.

2. Would it be better to wait until mom arrives in the US to try and
apply for K-1?
I don't think there's any reason to wait until mom arrives to start the K-1 process....mom probably can only stay 6 months and it will take longer than that to do the K-1 process.

3. Can mom's visa be approved and then when we apply for K-1, be taken
away?
Your K-1 process will not affect mom's visa, no. Once mom gets a visitor visa, you going through the K-1 process will not revoke it.

Just trying to see if it's possible to have her mom at the wedding..
If your fiancee comes to the USA while her mom is still here on her visitor visa, and it works out that they are in the USA at the same time, that would be great. Be prepared in case it doesn't work out that way, though. It's two separate processes and you can't really plan for it to happen at the same time. Hopefully it would, that would be nice....but if not, don't be disappointed.

Rene