Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

How long do we need to have dated to apply for k-1?

Wikiposts

How long do we need to have dated to apply for k-1?

Old May 14th 2009, 7:37 am
Just Joined

kieranandrebecca is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: How long do we need to have dated to apply for k-1?

I won't be needing any financial support from my parents after my fiance gets here-- he's got a massive amount of savings he'll be bringing with him to help us get started. But at this present moment, being a full time student I simply don't make the $18,000 or whatever it is that's needed to show I can support him, and I know they won't take his bank balance into account (which seems counterproductive to me-- shouldn't the government assume that any savings the beneficiary has will be going toward the household and therefore should be counted towards that $18,000?)
Old May 14th 2009, 7:49 am
BE Forum Addict

hobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond repute

OT, but met up with a fellow Anglo/American couple that just moved here. They'd been in the UK for years and came over on a marriage based greencard (well, he did). Both are able to work from anywhere, so they haven't given up their UK jobs and are carrying on here. The wife long ago claimed UK citizenship, so she's not doing anything wrong as far as making an income there.

Interesting part was showing proof of income at the US Embassy. I guess the US officials didn't like it at all that they wouldn't be earning money in the US. After the couple explained this situation eventually they went with the line "well, look, it's still money!?". The US Embassy was clearly feeling generous that day and let it go through!

Though it was somewhat interesting, in a immigration geek kind of way...
Old May 14th 2009, 7:59 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kieranandrebecca
I won't be needing any financial support from my parents after my fiance gets here-- he's got a massive amount of savings he'll be bringing with him to help us get started. But at this present moment, being a full time student I simply don't make the $18,000 or whatever it is that's needed to show I can support him, and I know they won't take his bank balance into account (which seems counterproductive to me-- shouldn't the government assume that any savings the beneficiary has will be going toward the household and therefore should be counted towards that $18,000?)
Actually, for a K-1 visa, the applicant is allowed to use his own savings instead of the I-134. If he has a massive amount in savings, he should be able to do this. London is the only place I'm aware of who allows this, although other embassies might.

If you are hesitant to use a joint sponsor, you can have him try using his own savings to show at the interview, and just have the I-134 there as a backup plan, just in case.

Then, by the time he comes to the USA and you get married, you will be able to show both your part time income AND his savings on the I-864 affidavit of support, and perhaps that will be enough to qualify you again with no joint sponsor.

Rene
Old May 14th 2009, 9:12 am
BE Enthusiast

helwardman has a reputation beyond reputehelwardman has a reputation beyond reputehelwardman has a reputation beyond reputehelwardman has a reputation beyond reputehelwardman has a reputation beyond reputehelwardman has a reputation beyond reputehelwardman has a reputation beyond reputehelwardman has a reputation beyond reputehelwardman has a reputation beyond reputehelwardman has a reputation beyond reputehelwardman has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Noorah101
Actually, for a K-1 visa, the applicant is allowed to use his own savings instead of the I-134. If he has a massive amount in savings, he should be able to do this. London is the only place I'm aware of who allows this, although other embassies might.

If you are hesitant to use a joint sponsor, you can have him try using his own savings to show at the interview, and just have the I-134 there as a backup plan, just in case.

Then, by the time he comes to the USA and you get married, you will be able to show both your part time income AND his savings on the I-864 affidavit of support, and perhaps that will be enough to qualify you again with no joint sponsor.

Rene
This is exactly what I did when I moved from UK to US on a K1 in November 2007. I demonstrated my savings at the K1 interview and was granted a visa. I then detailed my savings on the I-864 at AOS. Neither myself or my wife had an income when I applied for AOS I used purely savings to satisfy the financial aspect.

The rules may have changed since then but it was definitely do-able in 2007.
Old May 14th 2009, 9:20 am
Just Joined

How much did you have in savings, if you don't mind me asking?
Old May 14th 2009, 9:30 am

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

How much did you have in savings, if you don't mind me asking?
helwardman can answer if he likes, but may people have done this over the years and the amounts have always varied. There is no set amount determined. The CO makes his or her best educated guess, perhaps influenced by what career the person is in, or what part of the country they're moving to. (clearly it's cheaper to live in Montana than NYC for example).

You said 'a massive amount' of savings; I'm going to guess it's sufficient. Unless massive to you is $100.
Old May 14th 2009, 9:43 am
Just Joined

Well, it's several thousand. Maybe not a fortune, but it's a lot compared to what I bring to the table.

I would be curious to know what a general ballpark estimate would be of what the government considers sufficient savings; can anybody offer anything from their own experiences?
Old May 14th 2009, 9:59 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Well, it's several thousand. Maybe not a fortune, but it's a lot compared to what I bring to the table.

I would be curious to know what a general ballpark estimate would be of what the government considers sufficient savings; can anybody offer anything from their own experiences?
x3 annual salary for a start, so at least in the ballpark of $60k+
Old May 14th 2009, 10:01 am

jeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond repute

kar,

I'll start the bidding at about $54,600. Then, structuring this as a reverse auction, reduce my 2nd bid to 3 times the difference between what you make and $18,212.

Is he anywhere in that range?

Regards, JEff

Old May 14th 2009, 10:23 am
Just Joined

Oh....yikes. No, he isn't going to have those kinds of savings, far from it. Looks like our best bet is still to have one of my parents be my joint sponsor.
Old May 14th 2009, 12:17 pm
BE Enthusiast

helwardman has a reputation beyond reputehelwardman has a reputation beyond reputehelwardman has a reputation beyond reputehelwardman has a reputation beyond reputehelwardman has a reputation beyond reputehelwardman has a reputation beyond reputehelwardman has a reputation beyond reputehelwardman has a reputation beyond reputehelwardman has a reputation beyond reputehelwardman has a reputation beyond reputehelwardman has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by helwardman
This is exactly what I did when I moved from UK to US on a K1 in November 2007. I demonstrated my savings at the K1 interview and was granted a visa. I then detailed my savings on the I-864 at AOS. Neither myself or my wife had an income when I applied for AOS I used purely savings to satisfy the financial aspect.

The rules may have changed since then but it was definitely do-able in 2007.
I had savings plus the proceeds of a house sale. A total of around $180k.