Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

How long do we need to have dated to apply for k-1?

Wikiposts

How long do we need to have dated to apply for k-1?

Old May 13th 2009, 6:59 am
Just Joined

kieranandrebecca is an unknown quantity at this point
Default How long do we need to have dated to apply for k-1?

Hi everyone! First time poster here.

I'll try to keep my story brief and to the point. January 2009 I traveled to England to visit a friend. While there I met a guy and we started dating. A week and a half after we started dating, I got bounced out of the U.K. and sent back to California because the UKBA didn't believe I intended to leave after six months. He and I continued to stay in regular contact. He came to visit me and my family for two weeks in April, and then a couple of weeks ago a UK visitor visa I applied for in the hopes of going back and staying with him for five months was refused.

So, we've decided to do the K-1 route so I can finish school, and worry about getting me back to England at a later date. Our concern, however, is that we haven't known each other long enough or spent enough time together in person for the visa to be approved. There was a week and a half in England, two days in Amsterdam, and two weeks in California, plus three and a half months of constant daily texts, online chatting, phone calls. Will this be enough? Especially considering my bounce and visa refusal, is there a chance we'll be looked upon suspiciously?

He's coming to visit again for another two weeks in July, and we figured we would wait to file the petition until after he had left in case that extra two weeks might help our relationship look more "legitimate". However, having done enough research to know that these things can take over a year, we want to file the petition as soon as possible.

So, is the length of the relationship and/or the amount of time spent actually "in person" taken into consideration when filing for a k-1? If not, we'll send that sucker off ASAP.
Old May 13th 2009, 7:04 am
Forum Regular

steve100100 is just really nicesteve100100 is just really nicesteve100100 is just really nicesteve100100 is just really nicesteve100100 is just really nicesteve100100 is just really nicesteve100100 is just really nicesteve100100 is just really nicesteve100100 is just really nicesteve100100 is just really nice
Default Re: How long do we need to have dated to apply for k-1?

It doesn't matter how long you have known each other, as long as you have met at least once in person.
Old May 13th 2009, 7:10 am
BE Forum Addict

hobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond repute

You need only to have met in person once in the last 2 years. Clearly the more time you have spent together the more legitimate your application will appear, but at first glance you meet the min criteria:

They have met the foreign fiancé(e) within the two years prior to filing form I-129F

http://britishexpats.com/wiki/K1
Old May 13th 2009, 7:11 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kieranandrebecca
So, is the length of the relationship and/or the amount of time spent actually "in person" taken into consideration when filing for a k-1? If not, we'll send that sucker off ASAP.
Hi and Welcome to BE.

No, the length of the relationship does not matter. All that matters is that you've met in person at least once within the past 2 years, which you have done.

You DO realize that you guys must marry within 90 days of his arrival on the K-1? Are you ready to commit to marriage after such a short time together?

Rene
Old May 13th 2009, 7:12 am

jeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond repute

kar,

Time is not, in and of itself, a qualifying factor for a K1 visa.

Regards, JEff

So, we've decided to do the K-1 route so I can finish school, and worry about getting me back to England at a later date. Our concern, however, is that we haven't known each other long enough or spent enough time together in person for the visa to be approved.
Old May 13th 2009, 7:14 am

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

You must have met (seen each other) in person within the past two years.

That said, marrying someone you haven't known all that long can be a real adventure.

Darn double posting; don't do that!
Merging threads.
Old May 13th 2009, 7:23 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Also keep in mind that by the time he goes for the visa interview, you will have known each other an additional 6 - 8 months, and will have more evidence of your relationship to show at that point.

Right now, you qualify to file the I-129F, based on meeting in person within the past 2 years.

Rene
Old May 13th 2009, 9:48 am
Just Joined

If we were were to apply at this point, the only evidence of a "fiancee relationship" that we would be able to provide is:

a) travel document showing I was in the U.K. at the time we met
b) mutual travel documents showing we were in Amsterdam at the same time
c) travel document showing he came to California for two weeks
c) a couple of pictures of us together in the U.K. and Amsterdam, (although there is nothing in the pictures to indicate where we are or when the picture was taken)
d) pictures of us in front at recognizable landmarks in Reno and San Francisco

Would that be enough?
Old May 13th 2009, 9:52 am
Just Joined

If I were to wait until after he left in July, we would have more travel documents and pictures, and an engagement ring reciept. We just want to make sure we have all the evidence they need to prove that we're for real, yanno?
Old May 13th 2009, 9:55 am

If we were were to apply at this point, the only evidence of a "fiancee relationship" that we would be able to provide is:

a) travel document showing I was in the U.K. at the time we met
b) mutual travel documents showing we were in Amsterdam at the same time
c) travel document showing he came to California for two weeks
c) a couple of pictures of us together in the U.K. and Amsterdam, (although there is nothing in the pictures to indicate where we are or when the picture was taken)
d) pictures of us in front at recognizable landmarks in Reno and San Francisco

Would that be enough?
Yep, that's enough. No need to wait until you have more in July, unless you just want to wait and get to know each other better.

Rene
Old May 13th 2009, 10:12 am
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

If not, we'll send that sucker off ASAP.
It's not an issue - as others have noted. What will be important is your financial status. You must be able to demonstrate that your fiancee will not become a public charge - and that means you need income at or above 125% of the current poverty level (for 2 people = $18,212). If you don't meet this requirement, you'll likely need a joint sponsor.

Ian
Old May 13th 2009, 10:20 am
Just Joined

I'm going to be a full-time student working part-time. I was planning to have my parents be my joint sponsors, but nothing is needed of them financially, correct? All that is neccessary is that I prove they COULD support us if needed? They're both educated professionals, making around $80,000 a year between them, no dependants, spotless credit.
Old May 13th 2009, 10:24 am

I'm going to be a full-time student working part-time. I was planning to have my parents be my joint sponsors, but nothing is needed of them financially, correct? All that is neccessary is that I prove they COULD support us if needed? They're both educated professionals, making around $80,000 a year between them, no dependants, spotless credit.
If one parent earns enough, it's easier just to use one parent. Your parent will fill out form I-134 (found at www.uscis.gov, Immigration Forms), and supply the backup evidence of income (employment letter, pay stubs, tax returns). The I-134 is sent to your fiance in the UK for him to bring with him to the K-1 interview. The I-134 is not due right now, you don't send it with the I-129F.

Rene
Old May 13th 2009, 10:31 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

They don't need to support you, but potentially reimburse the government for any means tested benefits he might claim and they would be responsible for this until your other half has either gotten 40 quarters or work, become a USC, given up LPR status and moved abroad or died, note a devorce wouldn't negate them of this condition.
Old May 14th 2009, 2:24 am

jeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond repute

kar,

I'm confused - if you have sufficient fnancial resources and will not need any financial support from your parents, then how is it that you need them to sponsor your fiance?

I mean, if you have enough money on your own to take care of yourself and your fiance then you should be able to sponsor him yourself. If you don't have enough money to take care of yourself and your fiance then you will need someone else to actually provide you with some amount of money, as well as to provide an affidavit of support. No?

Regards, JEff

I'm going to be a full-time student working part-time. I was planning to have my parents be my joint sponsors, but nothing is needed of them financially, correct?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.