Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

How long did everyone's K-1 journey take?

Wikiposts

How long did everyone's K-1 journey take?

Old Apr 14th 2015, 8:40 am
Just Joined

expatdream is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: How long did everyone's K-1 journey take?

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
I apologize - perhaps English isn't your first language. Let me explain my point. Following other people's timelines is the first step on the road to madness. The second step is believing that someone else's timeline will be similar to yours. The best general guide is that, on average, the timeline for a K-1 is 8-10 months. If your experience is 5 months, then someone else is going to be very upset because their process didn't finish as quickly as yours... so what did they do differently? Did they make a mistake? Is the officer considering an RFE? Will the application be denied? If, however, your experience is 13 months, then for at least 3 months you're going to be anxious and upset because other people were finished a lot sooner than you... so what did they do differently and why was yours delayed?

Do you get it yet? Knowing what happened to other people will eventually become a source of anxiety and frustration either for you, or for someone else.

By the way, the third and final step on the road to madness is far too horrible to put down in writing. Suffice to say that strong men have wept, and have been turned into emotional bowls of quivering jelly.

Ian
I do get it now, I work best when a patronising tone is added. You were once said weeping, emotional bowl of jelly and you are trying to protect others.
Bravo
Old Apr 14th 2015, 10:08 am
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by expatdream
I do get it now, I work best when a patronising tone is added.
Some people need more help than others.

You were once said weeping, emotional bowl of jelly and you are trying to protect others.
Actually, I never was - and I'll tell you why. Hopefully, you'll enjoy a bit of history. As it turns out, my own US immigration journey was pretty uneventful. When I started the K-1 process, it regularly took only 4 months from submitting the I-129F to getting the visa in your passport... but, if truth be told, there were a lot fewer people filing then than now. Further, forums such as this one didn't exist at that time - so there was no way to compare timelines with others. The only suitable forum back then was the Usenet newsgroup alt.visa.us and there wasn't any group that dealt with family-based visas until I and another BE member (Rete) petitioned to have that group splintered to alt.visa.us.marriage-based. After about 5 years, that forum was eventually ported to BritishExpats and you're now reading its modern equivalent. Back then, you called the INS on the phone (this was long before USCIS, long before cell phones, and long before the forms were available online), and they sent you the forms in the mail. You completed the forms and mailed them back... and then you waited - trusting that the wheels of US immigration would turn. They did. Nobody whined about the time it took; nobody whined about the inequities of life. There were no timeline threads or web sites; there were no online forms to contact someone at the Consulate; there was no hotline to call to get updates. There was nothing.

The Internet has changed things dramatically. Most noticeably, easy access to information has made people impatient. Things can't happen fast enough... and people are so desperate for any tidbit of information dealing with their case, they'll whine on and on at length about the unfairness of the system and how US immigration is deliberately conspiring to keep them apart. Once you've been here for a while, you'll see what I mean.

If you haven't already guessed, I think timeline threads do a disservice.

Ian
Old Apr 14th 2015, 10:14 am
Forum Regular

LauraLou07 has a reputation beyond reputeLauraLou07 has a reputation beyond reputeLauraLou07 has a reputation beyond reputeLauraLou07 has a reputation beyond reputeLauraLou07 has a reputation beyond reputeLauraLou07 has a reputation beyond reputeLauraLou07 has a reputation beyond reputeLauraLou07 has a reputation beyond reputeLauraLou07 has a reputation beyond reputeLauraLou07 has a reputation beyond reputeLauraLou07 has a reputation beyond repute

Well I'm sorry if this thread has caused any issues, I never intended to do so. I understand how everyone's experience is different and like I have said previously the time does not bother me I was just curious on people's actual experiences.
Old Apr 14th 2015, 10:40 am
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by LauraLou07
I'm sorry if this thread has caused any issues, I never intended to do so.
It hasn't, and you haven't done anything wrong. As people post, they throw in their opinions, and things go off on a tangent. Such is the nature of online forums.

I was just curious on people's actual experiences.
And there is absolutely nothing wrong with that. FWIW, my overarching goal has always been to keep things realistic - and timelines are often not realistic.

Ian
Old Apr 15th 2015, 12:52 pm
BE Irregular

RICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond repute

2004 - Sent in petition early Jan, Visa issued mid June. Flew out a week or 2 later.

Edit: Details are in my extended signature.

Last edited by RICH; Apr 15th 2015 at 12:56 pm.