How I assembled my AOS packet (incl. photos), my timeline

How I assembled my AOS packet (incl. photos), my timeline

Old Jul 6th 2011, 12:38 am
Just Joined

astro_dr is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: How I assembled my AOS packet (incl. photos), my timeline

Originally Posted by ken27
Hi Astro,

The problem with this is, as far as I know, you will get turned away at the interview if your home address is not in the state/district of that USCIS office.

I'm sure the frequent posters here will know more, and correct me if I'm wrong.

Good luck! I'll keep you updated on my progress.

Ken
I live in AZ and my USC wife lives in OR. I'm planning to move to OR on July 31, and will change my address with USCIS around that time.

Now I'm not sure if my interview be in OR or AZ. If its in OR, (since that is my wife's address) then there's no problem. If on the other hand, say I get a letter on July 25 telling me that I have an interview in AZ on Aug 25, then I was thinking of flying back to AZ with my wife for the interview, rather than insisting on one in OR.

So you're saying that the option above is not feasible? Do they check proof of current address at the interview? Any suggestions from experienced folks on what I should do in this case?
Old Jul 6th 2011, 1:54 am
BE Commentator

S Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Astro,

The problem with this is, as far as I know, you will get turned away at the interview if your home address is not in the state/district of that USCIS office.

I'm sure the frequent posters here will know more, and correct me if I'm wrong.

Good luck! I'll keep you updated on my progress.

Ken
Back in the day my experience was -- both ways. Sometimes the case is transferred, some times it is not. Never did figure out the rule -- at the time, the regulations stated which local office the case was to be filed in and not where it was to be completed.

That said, with the centralized filing and processing these days, it is possible to give the change of address on line [or by phone a the 800 number] and perhaps the interview will be scheduled in the current residence. Maybe. Perhaps.
Old Jul 6th 2011, 4:23 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by astro_dr
I live in AZ and my USC wife lives in OR. I'm planning to move to OR on July 31, and will change my address with USCIS around that time.

Now I'm not sure if my interview be in OR or AZ. If its in OR, (since that is my wife's address) then there's no problem. If on the other hand, say I get a letter on July 25 telling me that I have an interview in AZ on Aug 25, then I was thinking of flying back to AZ with my wife for the interview, rather than insisting on one in OR.

So you're saying that the option above is not feasible? Do they check proof of current address at the interview? Any suggestions from experienced folks on what I should do in this case?
What did you put for your address on your I-485? That is where your interview will be scheduled.
If you are no longer a resident of that district at interview time however, you are not supposed to interview there. If you did your plan, you would have to lie about where you (both) live.

You should not be worried about them checking your 'proof'.. you should not lie to immigration in the first place.
Old Jul 7th 2011, 7:48 pm
Forum Regular

ken27 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Meauxna,

Thats what I thought. So, what do you think I should do in my situation - I know I'm moving, but not until the end of the month. Is there a way to notify the USCIS in advance so they can start getting my case transferred, or do I have to wait till I move (which is eleven days before the scheduled interview date)?

On that topic, I haven't seen much discussion on how far in advance to file the change of address forms, i.e. a few days before move, or earlier or later. I'm wondering if there is going to be some processing time before the change takes effect.
Old Jul 7th 2011, 8:00 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Things you can do now:

1. Call the 800 USCIS misinformation line and report your upcoming change of address.

2. Send notification in writing to your current local office, indicating the move date and new address, and for them to forward your case file to the new address, if they should receive it.

3. Send notification in writing to your future local office, indicating the move date and new address, and that they should expect to receive your case file.

4. Make sure you notify USPS to forward any mail to your new address.

Things you can do later:

1. Do an AR-11 change of address online, within 10 days of moving. https://egov.uscis.gov/crisgwi/go?action=coa.Terms

2. Make sure your name is on the inside of your new mailbox.

Rene

Last edited by Noorah101; Jul 7th 2011 at 8:25 pm.
Old Jul 7th 2011, 8:22 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Meauxna,

Thats what I thought. So, what do you think I should do in my situation - I know I'm moving, but not until the end of the month. Is there a way to notify the USCIS in advance so they can start getting my case transferred, or do I have to wait till I move (which is eleven days before the scheduled interview date)?

On that topic, I haven't seen much discussion on how far in advance to file the change of address forms, i.e. a few days before move, or earlier or later. I'm wondering if there is going to be some processing time before the change takes effect.
What Rene says.
Old Jul 7th 2011, 9:07 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks Rene, that's really useful.

Just called the misinformation line, will take care of the letters later.

They were actually very helpful. Informed me that while I could not change my address until I actually move, they could take my details and file a request with the current field office to have the interview rescheduled and the case transferred to the new field office.

The phone agent took my details very carefully, clearly explained what was going to happen and then gave me a confirmation number for the request, saying that I should receive a receipt notice from the current field office within 30 days.

Also, he mentioned that it is at the discretion of the new field office to accept the case. If they refuse, it will continue to be processed at the original field office. In either case, I will receive instructions from the field office on how to proceed.

By the way, to speak to this phone agent, I called the information line on 1-800-375-5283, pressed 1 for English, 3 for Change of Address, and 1 to speak with a customer service agent.

Last edited by ken27; Jul 7th 2011 at 9:17 pm.
Old Jul 7th 2011, 10:45 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by meauxna
What did you put for your address on your I-485? That is where your interview will be scheduled.
If you are no longer a resident of that district at interview time however, you are not supposed to interview there. If you did your plan, you would have to lie about where you (both) live.
I put my AZ address, so I guess I'll have to arrange to get my field office transferred.

Originally Posted by meauxna
You should not be worried about them checking your 'proof'.. you should not lie to immigration in the first place.
I was not planning on lying - I just wondered whether my current address was relevant to them, which it now seems that it is.

Anyway, thanks for the advice to all.
Old Jul 7th 2011, 10:51 pm

Good luck, and let us know what you did and how it worked out. That will help others in the same boat some time in the future.
Old Jul 12th 2011, 10:14 am
Forum Regular

Mailed off those letters to my current and post-move field offices yesterday...hopefully they'll get read.

Also received email notification yesterday that production of my EAD/AP card has been ordered. Each notification is different, I assume because it's now a combo card...

On July 11, 2011, we mailed you a notice that we have approved this I131 APPLICATION FOR USCIS TRAVEL DOCUMENT. Please follow any instructions on the notice. If you move before you receive the notice, call customer service at 1-800-375-5283.
On July 11, 2011, we ordered production of your new card. Please allow 30 days for your card to be mailed to you. If we need something from you we will contact you. If you move before you receive the card, call customer service at 1-800-375-5283.
Old Jul 15th 2011, 11:41 pm
Forum Regular

Two more emails about the I-765 today...

The first is identical to the one I received on the 11th apart from the date. Based on iray's reasoning, this marks that the card has actually been produced.

Application Type: I765 , APPLICATION FOR EMPLOYMENT AUTHORIZATION

Your Case Status: Card/ Document Production

On July 14, 2011, we ordered production of your new card. Please allow 30 days for your card to be mailed to you. If we need something from you we will contact you. If you move before you receive the card, call customer service at 1-800-375-5283.
Application Type: I765 , APPLICATION FOR EMPLOYMENT AUTHORIZATION

Your Case Status: Post Decision Activity

On July 15, 2011, we mailed you a notice that we have approved this I765 APPLICATION FOR EMPLOYMENT AUTHORIZATION. Please follow any instructions on the notice. If you move before you receive the notice, call customer service at 1-800-375-5283.
No response yet from my current or future field office about my move. If I don't hear from them within a few days of the move date, I think I'll make an Infopass appointment to go and check that they do know I'm moving and confirm that the originally scheduled interview has been cancelled.
Old Jul 16th 2011, 1:41 am
Just Joined

Fantastic! Do you have a new job lined up, or are you planning to continue your current one?
Old Jul 16th 2011, 2:06 am
Forum Regular

Fantastic! Do you have a new job lined up, or are you planning to continue your current one?
I don't know if you've read my other thread...after I move to my new home in the US with my wife next month, I'll be commuting back and forth to Ireland until next year, finishing out an EU postdoc fellowship.
Old Jul 16th 2011, 2:09 am
Just Joined

Ah I see. What is your subject, if you don't mind me asking?
Old Jul 16th 2011, 2:21 am
Forum Regular

Ah I see. What is your subject, if you don't mind me asking?
I'll send you a PM to continue this discussion off thread.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.