Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

How I assembled my AOS packet (incl. photos), my timeline

How I assembled my AOS packet (incl. photos), my timeline

Old May 26th 2011, 10:37 am
Forum Regular

ken27 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default How I assembled my AOS packet (incl. photos), and my timeline so far

In case it's of use to anyone in the future, here's how I assembled my AOS packet. I'm not saying it's by any means the best or even the correct way to do it, but the Lockbox cashed my checks and I received my email and I-797C receipt notices, so, so far so good!

I've seen requests for photos, so two are attached (with the personal info blacked out).

I didn't include any cover letter, just the sheet you can see in the photo saying that it's a spouse-based AOS application and listing the forms included. I also taped the same notice on both sides of the USPS envelope.

I decided to follow these National Benefit Center guidelines (i.e. paperclips not ACCO fasteners, etc.) since they mention submitting to the Chicago Lockbox specifically. As it turned out, my I-797C's came from the National Benefits Center (am I right in thinking all immediate relative AOS applications get sent here?), so I think I made the right choice (not that it would likely have made any difference, but I'd like to think the person scanning my packet at the lockbox was thankful it was easy to disassemble).

For each form, I held it and its supporting documents together with a small binder clip, with the photos in a ziploc baggie at the front. I clipped all of these together with the cover sheet in a big clip, and that was it.

The USPS Express Mail Flat Rate envelope seems to be the most economical next-day delivery option ($17.40 when purchased online), assuming you can fit everything in. It definitely was for me. I had 72 pages (90 gsm / 24 lb paper) plus checks and photos, and it was pretty full. I'd say it could have held 80-90 pages max. There is a bigger envelope available for the same rate, but you have to order it online. The weight of my sealed up packet was 1.2 lbs.

You might notice on the shipping label photo that USPS "corrects" the mailing address to the one below. I don't know who's right, but it was delivered on schedule.

USCIS
ATTN: FBAS
131 S DEARBORN ST FL 3
CHICAGO IL 60603-5573

Here's the final list of everything I included in the packet, in the order I assembled it
  • G-1145 form
  • I-485 form with check for $1070
  • Two photos of the beneficiary
  • Beneficiary's G-325A
  • Copy of beneficiary's birth certificate
  • Copy of DS-2019 (not asked for, but suggested here)
  • Copy of visa and I-94 back and front (not requested since the visa was issued more than a year ago, but suggested here)
  • I-693 from civil surgeon, in sealed envelope
  • I-864 form (somewhat complicated since the sponsor is a student but will start a new job later in the year - see here for details)
  • Copy of sponsor's 2010 tax return including W2's and 1099's
  • Copy of sponsor's new job contract
  • Copy of beneficiary's current job contract to show that it will continue after the GC is issued
  • Copy of the sponsor's savings account transcript
  • Copy of the beneficiary's foreign savings account statements covering the last 12 months
  • Explanation sheet stating that these foreign savings are transferable to the US
  • I-130 form with check for $420
  • One photo each of the beneficiary and the petitioner
  • Copy of the petitioner's birth certificate (she was born in the US)
  • Copy of the marriage certificate (we married in the US)
  • Petitioner's G-325A
  • Beneficiary's G-325A
  • Copies of joint bank account statements as evidence of comingling of finances (we don't have any of the other suggested evidence yet apart from photos, emails, etc. which we'll bring to the interview)
  • I-131 form
  • Copy of the beneficiary's passport as the ID document
  • Copy of visa and I-94 front and back as evidence of present USCIS status
  • Explanation sheet for why AP is warranted for Part 7 of form. (Not sure if this was necessary given that I'm co-filing with I-485).
  • Supporting documents for this explanation (contract for research fellowship I must complete in Ireland)
  • I-765 form
  • Copy of visa
  • Copy of I-94 front and back (just in case, even though it's not requested for category (c)(9), i.e. AOS)
Attached Thumbnails How I assembled my AOS packet (incl. photos), my timeline-assembled_packet_and_labels_scaled.jpg   How I assembled my AOS packet (incl. photos), my timeline-all_forms_scaled.jpg  

Last edited by ken27; May 26th 2011 at 12:18 pm.
Old May 26th 2011, 10:38 am
Forum Regular

Default Re: How I assembled my AOS packet (incl. photos), and my timeline so far

And here's my timeline so far...

Wed May 11th 2011 - Mailed packet by USPS Express Mail
Thu May 12th 2011 - Delivered
Tue May 17th 2011 - Received email notifications for I-485, I-130, I-131, 1-765
Wed May 18th 2011 - I-797C receipts mailed (don't know exactly when they arrived because I was away).

The I-797C's are dated Mon 16th May, and list the received/priority date as 12th May.

Waiting for the biometrics notice now...I'll keep you updated on progress!

PS Thanks to everyone here who has posted responses to my questions. It's been extremely helpful.

Last edited by ken27; May 26th 2011 at 12:17 pm.
Old May 26th 2011, 11:44 am
BE Commentator

S Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How I assembled my AOS packet (incl. photos), my timeline

Not bad. If you are gracious to grant me permission, there are few small comments I would make -- nothing big.
Old May 26th 2011, 12:10 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by S Folinsky
If you are gracious to grant me permission, there are few small comments I would make -- nothing big.
Please, go ahead. The point of my post is to inform others in the future, so any improvements/corrections are much appreciated.
Old May 26th 2011, 2:00 pm
BE Commentator

S Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ken27
Please, go ahead. The point of my post is to inform others in the future, so any improvements/corrections are much appreciated.
Thank you. I will admit to getting a tad nervous in responding to posts such as this one. I, too, post to help others. My apologies in advance, I have no intention of offending or being condescending. That said:

"Priority mail" with certified mail return receipt is a tad cheaper. I have seen that it gets there in a day more often than not. And the "not" is two days.

For each person [when filing as a family group], I would use one check. I used to use one per application [I-130, I-485, etc]. -- all too often one of the checks would go missing resulting in a returned package.

A "combined" family package requires only one G-325 for the applicant/beneficiary.

For the G-325 accompanying the I-130, I attach one picture of each spouse to the applicable G-325.

On supporting documents, I consider the tax returns to be part of the I-864 and staple them to the form.

I also think that you need not submit multiple copies of the I-94.

As to the I-131, I think there is no need to present justification documentation.

A lawyer friend [not an immigration lawyer] has a sign on his desk "A thin file is a happy file." I've always thought that that is a good motto.

Good luck.
Old May 26th 2011, 2:14 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Ken,

For the I-864 requirements, are you and your spouse qualifying based on assets at 3x the amount needed in income? What is a "savings account transcript"? A letter from the bank?

Rene
Old May 26th 2011, 7:14 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

ken, your photos are of a thing of beauty.
Old May 26th 2011, 7:26 pm
Forum Regular

Mr Folinsky: Thanks, that's good advice in my opinion. If I may, I've got a few questions about how these forms are currently processed, which may add to the value of this thread. I haven't seen up-to-date answers to these on the internet, and you are possibly in a position to answer them...
  • After all the forms and supporting documents are scanned at the Lockbox, is the paper file immediately sent to archive at Lee's Summit, or is the electronic version for archive only, with the officers working on the case using the paper file?

• Assuming they work on the paper file, is it still true that the primary forms (e.g. I-485, I-130, I-131, I-765) may often be physically separated and dealt with by different officers, perhaps even in different locations? Based on this assumption, I have read many recommendations to duplicate varying numbers of documents with each of these forms.

• Is the requirement to submit photos a vestige of older times, given that these are retaken at the biometrics appointment, or is there some up-to-date reason for them?
Old May 26th 2011, 7:47 pm
Forum Regular

Meauxna:Thanks

Rene:
Originally Posted by Noorah101
What is a "savings account transcript"? A letter from the bank?
Yes, a letter from the bank giving the required details, in lieu of statements, as permitted by the I-864 instructions. Maybe one of the moderators could give me permission to edit my first post, and I will correct/clarify it in relation to any comments?

Originally Posted by Noorah101
For the I-864 requirements, are you and your spouse qualifying based on assets at 3x the amount needed in income?
You can read the full details in my other thread, but here's a quick summary. Although my wife meets the income requirements "to the letter", this income comes from her student stipend, so it will end when she graduates. Similarly, I am a postdoctoral researcher and though my income will continue after the GC is issued, it definitely ends in June 2012. It was advised on these forums that we should also meet the "spirit" of the requirements, i.e. prove that I will be financially supported for the foreseeable future, with my wife (the sponsor) providing a significant part of that support. Therefore, we also included details of our (cash) assets, which meet the 3x income requirement, and a copy of the signed contract for the full-time job my wife will start in August.

Last edited by ken27; May 26th 2011 at 7:50 pm.
Old May 30th 2011, 7:47 pm
Forum Regular

For the info of future family-based AOS applicants who live at a different address to their petitioner, the I-797C notice for the I-130 was mailed to my USC petitioner (my wife), while the remaining I-797C's (I-485, I-131, I-765) were mailed to me. However, I received e-mail notifications for all four forms by virtue of having my name and email on the G-1145 submitted with the AOS packet.

Last edited by ken27; May 30th 2011 at 7:54 pm.
Old May 30th 2011, 7:49 pm
Forum Regular

Received my biometrics notice on Friday (May 27th 2011). The appointment is for Tuesday June 7th 2011, but I'm going to try and do a walk-in tomorrow.

Last edited by ken27; May 30th 2011 at 7:54 pm.
Old Jun 1st 2011, 8:35 pm
Forum Regular

Walk-in biometrics successful today at the Santa Ana ASC (didn't have time yesterday like I originally planned). Arrived at 11.45am, only one person ahead of me. Took ~30 mins.

Wow, the fingerprinting is thorough. Much more than you get at the airport. Left four fingers together, right four fingers together, each finger and thumb individually, and then the right index finger again!

FYI Parking is not free. It's $1 for every 20 mins up to a max of $9.
Old Jul 2nd 2011, 3:21 pm
Forum Regular

Yesterday I got an email notification to say that my case status has been updated and my interview scheduled for early August. The notice letter is in the mail - I guess I'll receive it on Tuesday.

Just like iray in May, this is coming before I have received any notice about my EAD/AP. This is much quicker than expected - three months from submission to interview!

But, there's a catch. I'm going to be moving to another state on August 1st. As far as I know, this means this interview will have to be cancelled and my case transferred to the field office in my new state, right?

What do I do in this situation? Is there a way to notify USCIS now, rather than just do the change of address process at the end of July, which will be pretty close to the scheduled interview date.

While I could possibly reschedule the move, it would be a big undertaking. It's not significant for me if there's a delay due to transferring my case, so I will stick with my planned move unless there are very strong reasons to change it.

Last edited by ken27; Jul 2nd 2011 at 3:27 pm.
Old Jul 4th 2011, 4:49 am
Just Joined

astro_dr is an unknown quantity at this point

Wow you and I have very similar situations. I am a post-doc on H1B too. My wife (USC) and I live in different states. I expect to get my interview letter around the end of July, and just like you I'll be moving precisely then!

I plan to keep USCIS updated on my addresses, and hope for the best. If it turns out that our interview is still in a different state, we'll just make a trip down there for a day.

Please keep updating us on developments in your case. I for one will be paying keen attention.

By the way, Ihave been lurking here for a while and just LOVE this forum. Mr. Folinsky is one of my favorites here and I've read everything he posts with a lot of enthusiasm. Thanks a lot for your contributions Mr. Folinsky!
Old Jul 6th 2011, 12:19 am
Forum Regular

Hi Astro,

Originally Posted by astro_dr
If it turns out that our interview is still in a different state, we'll just make a trip down there for a day.
The problem with this is, as far as I know, you will get turned away at the interview if your home address is not in the state/district of that USCIS office.

I'm sure the frequent posters here will know more, and correct me if I'm wrong.

Good luck! I'll keep you updated on my progress.

Ken

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.