Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

How to get RCMP Police certificate in Toronto?

How to get RCMP Police certificate in Toronto?

Old Aug 18th 2002, 4:55 am
Nina

Default How to get RCMP Police certificate in Toronto?

I am applying for K1 visa in Toronto. I was notified to get a RCMP Police
certificate.

Have anyone here done this before? Need not to take fingerprint ,right?

Can you tell the address and tel#?

Thanks a lot!!!

Old Aug 18th 2002, 5:45 am
Wendy Owen

Default Re: How to get RCMP Police certificate in Toronto?

My husband, who used to live in Toronto and recently received his K-3, believes your
should just go to the Toronto Municiple Police station downtown and ask for a police
background check or record. It should be in your hands same day. There should be no
need for fingerprints, at least there wasn't in my husband's case. He didn't have a
branch of the RCMP where he lived in Saskatchewan, so he just did this same procedure
at his local police station and got it within 24 hours.

This is, if you live in Toronto, which is what I understand by your note. Or do you
mean you are trying to apply with the consulate in Toronto?? Because I don't believe
the Toronto Consulate handles any K visas.

Wendy Owen

On 18 Aug 2002 09:55:04 -0700, [email protected] (Nina) wrote:

>I am applying for K1 visa in Toronto. I was notified to get a RCMP Police
    >certificate.
    >Have anyone here done this before? Need not to take fingerprint ,right?
    >Can you tell the address and tel#?
    >Thanks a lot!!!

Old Aug 18th 2002, 9:59 am
Dabear?

If you have ever been convicted of a criminal offense then you will require
fingerprints

Nina wrote:

> I am applying for K1 visa in Toronto. I was notified to get a RCMP Police
    > certificate.
    > Have anyone here done this before? Need not to take fingerprint ,right?
    > Can you tell the address and tel#?
    > Thanks a lot!!!

Old Aug 18th 2002, 12:46 pm
Wesley Newcombe

A couple of weeks ago I walked into the Windsor Ontario RCMP office and walked out 10
minutes later with the certificate! No fingerprints needed. I was informed that if
my name associated with my birthdate had come up on their computer system, they
wouldn't even issue the certificate but I would have to submit fingerprints etc. The
certificate did cost me $25.00 though as I thought there was no fee associated with
it. Oh well, that is all that was required!

Wes

Old Aug 18th 2002, 6:24 pm
Nina

Thank you! Ya, I am residing in Toronto right now. But my case is processing in
Montreal......and in the letter from Montreal consulate it said they only accept the
Police certificate from RCMP.

BTW, Toronto consulate can give interviews to K visas. but they can do nothing before
Montreal consulate finish everything.

Wendy Owen <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>. ..
    > My husband, who used to live in Toronto and recently received his K-3, believes
    > your should just go to the Toronto Municiple Police station downtown and ask for a
    > police background check or record. It should be in your hands same day. There
    > should be no need for fingerprints, at least there wasn't in my husband's case. He
    > didn't have a branch of the RCMP where he lived in Saskatchewan, so he just did
    > this same procedure at his local police station and got it within 24 hours.
    > This is, if you live in Toronto, which is what I understand by your note. Or do
    > you mean you are trying to apply with the consulate in Toronto?? Because I don't
    > believe the Toronto Consulate handles any K visas.
    > Wendy Owen
    > On 18 Aug 2002 09:55:04 -0700, [email protected] (Nina) wrote:
    > >I am applying for K1 visa in Toronto. I was notified to get a RCMP Police
    > >certificate.
    > >
    > >Have anyone here done this before? Need not to take fingerprint ,right?
    > >
    > >Can you tell the address and tel#?
    > >
    > >Thanks a lot!!!

Old Aug 18th 2002, 10:59 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Nina:
Thank you! Ya, I am residing in Toronto right now. But my case is processing in
Montreal......and in the letter from Montreal consulate it said they only accept the
Police certificate from RCMP.

BTW, Toronto consulate can give interviews to K visas. but they can do nothing before
Montreal consulate finish everything.
I question your statement regarding the US Consulate in Toronto. They are not authorized to process the K-1 visa. There are, or have only been, two US Consulates in all of Canada and there in Vancouver and Montreal. When you state after the US Consulate in Montreal finishes everything means that the K-1 has been approved after interviewing and the next step is activitation of said visa at the POE.

Please advise where or who told you this information so our data banks will be updated or erroneous information can be corrected.

thanks

Rete
Old Aug 19th 2002, 12:57 am
Mw99

There is an RCMP Fingerprint and Police Certificate Office at 15 Toronto Street (near
Yonge and King) in downtown Toronto. Their phone number is 416-363-9072.

MW

Old Aug 19th 2002, 3:22 am
Margaret

"Wesley Newcombe" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]> ...
    > A couple of weeks ago I walked into the Windsor Ontario RCMP office and walked out
    > 10 minutes later with the certificate! No fingerprints needed. I was informed that
    > if my name associated with my birthdate had come up on their computer system, they
    > wouldn't even issue the certificate but I would have to submit fingerprints etc.
    > The certificate did cost me $25.00 though as I thought there was no fee associated
    > with it. Oh well, that is all that was required!
    > Wes

Wes is right on this. Go to your local RCMP detachment for the certificate. Advise
them that you are applying for a K1 Visa and require a certificate showing you have
no criminal record in Canada. In fact in may be helpful bringing along your checklist
from the Consulate stating a police clearance is required and showing it to the RCMP.
The whole procedure is simple. I believe the cost may be $26.75.

Margaret

Old Aug 19th 2002, 5:02 am
Wesley Newcombe

I guess I should add the following:

The RCMP would not even issue me a certificate without providing evidence from
Immigration that I was required to have one. I spoke with the individual as to why
and they said that this requirement has decreased the number of people requesting
them. I don't know if it is specific to all detachments but in Windsor, Ontario they
did! As for the cost, I am looking at the exact cost of the certificate and my
receipt says it cost $15.00 dollars. I said in an earlier post that it cost $25 even
but it was indeed $15.00. I have a feeling that different detachments seem to
charge different rates or even offer the certificate for free.

Good Luck!

Wes

Old Aug 20th 2002, 3:35 pm
Wendy Owen

Guess the Vancouver consulate is more flexible or something..plus we did K-3 instead
of K-1, so who knows.

As far as Toronto detachments of the RCMP, try looking at http://www.rcmp-grc.gc.ca/telephone/generalcon-
t_on_e.htm
which is a list of the RCMP detachments in Ontario, complete with
phone numbers. Hope that helps.

Wendy

On 18 Aug 2002 23:24:19 -0700, [email protected] (Nina) wrote:

>Thank you! Ya, I am residing in Toronto right now. But my case is processing in
    >Montreal......and in the letter from Montreal consulate it said they only accept the
    >Police certificate from RCMP.
    >BTW, Toronto consulate can give interviews to K visas. but they can do nothing
    >before Montreal consulate finish everything.
    >Wendy Owen <[email protected]> wrote in message
    >news:<[email protected]> ...
    >> My husband, who used to live in Toronto and recently received his K-3, believes
    >> your should just go to the Toronto Municiple Police station downtown and ask for a
    >> police background check or record. It should be in your hands same day. There
    >> should be no need for fingerprints, at least there wasn't in my husband's case.
    >> He didn't have a branch of the RCMP where he lived in Saskatchewan, so he just did
    >> this same procedure at his local police station and got it within 24 hours.
    >> This is, if you live in Toronto, which is what I understand by your note. Or do
    >> you mean you are trying to apply with the consulate in Toronto?? Because I don't
    >> believe the Toronto Consulate handles any K visas.
    >> Wendy Owen
    >> On 18 Aug 2002 09:55:04 -0700, [email protected] (Nina) wrote:
    >> >I am applying for K1 visa in Toronto. I was notified to get a RCMP Police
    >> >certificate.
    >> >
    >> >Have anyone here done this before? Need not to take fingerprint ,right?
    >> >
    >> >Can you tell the address and tel#?
    >> >
    >> >Thanks a lot!!!

Old Aug 29th 2002, 4:21 am
Nina

MW,

thank you ^_^,

Nina