Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

how to file for the k-3 visa

Wikiposts

how to file for the k-3 visa

Old Feb 12th 2004, 10:40 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: how to file for the k-3 visa

Hi me&molly,

Everyone got confused because you used the term "I-130 approval" when you meant "I-130 notice of receipt". With immigration, it's very easy to use the wrong term and totally throw off what you wanted to say.

Hopefully you now understand what the process is. You don't wait all the way until the I-130 is "approved", you only wait until you have the "notice of receipt", and then file the I-129F.

And, as mentioned, each set has it's own requirements for paperwork backup. Be detail-oriented and you should be just fine.

Best Wishes and Welcome to the Forum,

Rene
Old Feb 13th 2004, 8:32 am
Forum Regular

me&molly is an unknown quantity at this point

thanks for all the help guys!!

i think i understand the whole process now.
i file the I-130, wait for the NOA, then i file for the I-129f.
doi have to send all the required documentation(certificates-marriage, death, birth......all that other crap) with the I-130 AND the I-129f??

i'm going to file in the vermont service center so would it be easier(faster) for me to JUST FILE for the I-130?

thanks again.
sorry for all the confusion
Old Feb 13th 2004, 9:11 am

jeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond repute

m&m,

Originally posted by me&molly
thanks for all the help guys!!

i think i understand the whole process now.
i file the I-130, wait for the NOA, then i file for the I-129f.
doi have to send all the required documentation(certificates-marriage, death, birth......all that other crap) with the I-130 AND the I-129f??
Answered 2 days ago. You send with each petition what the instructions for that petition tell you to send.

Originally posted by me&molly
i'm going to file in the vermont service center so would it be easier(faster) for me to JUST FILE for the I-130?
It's always easier to file only one petition rather than two. Half the work. But what is it that you want to know about being faster by doing this?

Regards, JEff
Old Feb 13th 2004, 9:57 am
Forum Regular

Randie is an unknown quantity at this point

I sent only copies with my I-129F and a copy of my 1st NOA for I-130 and they sent me already first NOA for I-129F. Maybe it's because they know if I-130 sent you 1st NOA then everything's ok? I don't know but I was glad they did not send me an RFI. I hope to receive 2nd NOA to I-129F in a couple of months.
Thank you
Randie
Old Feb 13th 2004, 10:10 am
BE Enthusiast

anyone4tea is just really niceanyone4tea is just really niceanyone4tea is just really niceanyone4tea is just really niceanyone4tea is just really niceanyone4tea is just really niceanyone4tea is just really niceanyone4tea is just really nice

Originally posted by dutchman2001nl
You can file a I-129F (K-3) as soon as you received the 1st NOA from wherever you filed the I-130 ... you don't have to wait till the I-130 is approved.

M & M - what Dutchman is telling you is correct.

The I-130 is an application for immigration of immediate family - and will take a while (I can't tell you how long) to be processed. The K3 visa (I-129F and other stages) was designed to allow the spouse to enter, and remain in the US, while the I-130 is being processed.

The process is as follows:

You send off the I-130. On receipt of NOA1 for the I-130, you send off the I-129F.

Hope this helps.

Kath

Last edited by anyone4tea; Feb 13th 2004 at 10:12 am.
Old Feb 13th 2004, 10:14 am

jeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond repute

Randie,

NOA #1 means only that the petition has been received and and accepted (it is not grossly inadequate). It is no indication that anything, other than the amount of the check, is OK.

Regards, JEff

Originally posted by Randie
I sent only copies with my I-129F and a copy of my 1st NOA for I-130 and they sent me already first NOA for I-129F. Maybe it's because they know if I-130 sent you 1st NOA then everything's ok? I don't know but I was glad they did not send me an RFI. I hope to receive 2nd NOA to I-129F in a couple of months.
Thank you
Randie
Old Feb 13th 2004, 10:21 am
Forum Regular

Randie is an unknown quantity at this point

Jeff
so I still could get an RFI for additional documentation and/or originals? if so, shoul it be before receiving second NOA?

thanks
Randie
Old Feb 13th 2004, 10:32 am

Randie,

You won't get an RFI until your petition package is given to a case officer for action, and that officer looks through the package and begins to evaluate it.

The 2nd NOA means that the case officer has completed the evaluation and has made a decision (the 2nd NOA tells you what the decision is), so if you are going to get an RFI it will definitely come before the 2nd NOA.

Regards, JEff

Originally posted by Randie
Jeff
so I still could get an RFI for additional documentation and/or originals? if so, shoul it be before receiving second NOA?

thanks
Randie