Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

How does one emmigrate to the US when already married?

Wikiposts

How does one emmigrate to the US when already married?

Old Jan 16th 2002, 4:11 pm
Waxwabbit

I am really trying to plan ahead here, but this could affect our plans
    >
us to emmigrate to the US (after maybe 2 years), I want to know the following:

Which routes are available to us to emmigrate to the US?

What are the timescales for these routes?

How long until the UK Citizen could work in America?

I ask this, as someone told me, a UK citizen has to wait 6 months after arrival in
the US before they can work. Is this correct?

I have been asking in my previous posts about permanent residence, and that if my
(then) wife wanted to return to the UK after being in the UK for say 2 years, and
then being in the US for several years, would it be ok (would she be a permanent
resident still?) Well, I gather from the replies, this probably wouldnt be the
case................but........I ask it only as to gauge any possible scenario of
return to the UK in the future for us.

After being married for several years in the US, would all she have to do to move to
the UK, be send for another entry clearance? (If this is the case, we should not be
as worried for her to become a naturalised Britton!)

Many thanks guys Lee and Brandi

Old Jan 16th 2002, 5:52 pm
Maarten W.G. Andries

>
    >
    >
    >
    >

The best route is direct consular filing with a US Consulate. I believe there is more
then one in the UK actually. Its the easiest way since you can provide all paperwork
they might request, where it might be harder to get some papers when you are already
living in the US.

>

I don't know about the US Consulate in the UK, but in Amsterdam you can do it in
about 2 months. We did it in about 3 only due to the fact we didn't do anything for a
month or so and went travelling.

>
    >
    >
    >

As far as I know, with the spousal visa (meaning you are married to a US citizen) you
get to work as soon as you enter the United States.

>
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >

I have no idea how the British INS handles this, but generally, you can leave the US
for up to 1 year without losing your status. You can leave for longer time, but you
need to inform the INS about that.

>
    >
    >

My wife married here in The Netherlands, and she is the US citizen. This gives her
the advantage that she can carry a Dutch passport without giving up the US one, and
normally there are not many ways to do that. We have filed for naturalisation here,
but it can take many months to complete. If the US spouse can carry both passports,
its always valuable to do so. In The Netherlands we had to live in NL for at least 3
years whil being married, and that we did. If we get her a Dutch Passport she can
always return to NL without having to go through the immigration hassle again.

Again, it could be different in the UK of course..... perhaps a UK resident can
tell ya more.

Maarten

Old Jan 19th 2002, 5:56 pm
Diane

"Maarten W.G. Andriessen" <[email protected]>

[usenetquote2]> > I am really trying to plan ahead here, but this could affect our plans[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > :- when already married and living in the UK, when the time comes for[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > us to emmigrate to the US (after maybe 2 years), I want to know the following:[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> >[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > Which routes are available to us to emmigrate to the US?[/usenetquote2]
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
[usenetquote2]> > What are the timescales for these routes?[/usenetquote2]
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
[usenetquote2]> > How long until the UK Citizen could work in America?[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> >[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > I ask this, as someone told me, a UK citizen has to wait 6 months after arrival[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > in the US before they can work. Is this correct?[/usenetquote2]
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
[usenetquote2]> > I have been asking in my previous posts about permanent residence, and that if my[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > (then) wife wanted to return to the UK after being in the UK for say 2 years, and[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > then being in the US for several years, would it be ok (would she be a permanent[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > resident still?) Well, I gather from the replies, this probably wouldnt be the[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > case................but........I ask it only as to gauge any possible scenario of[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > return to the UK in the future for us.[/usenetquote2]
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
[usenetquote2]> > After being married for several years in the US, would all she have to do to move[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > to the UK, be send for another entry clearance? (If this is the case, we should[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > not be as worried for her to become a naturalised Britton!)[/usenetquote2]
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >

Hello...I hope I'm doing this correctly; this is my first newsgroup post and it's not
clear where to respond! Anyway, I too have a question on this topic. I am American
woman engaged to a French citizen. We have decided to go the "alien spouse" route,
rather then doing the fiancee visa, to try and keep some of the marriage decision
making in our own hands. (HA) Anyway, does anyone have experience with how long that
process takes from the French side, and if that consulate will accept the US filing
needed to be done after we are married in France? Some of the European countries will
handle the paperwork right there. After speaking to an INS officer this week who told
me that they would prefer for us to file the fiancee visa instead (but gave no reason
why) it was again clear that control was an issue here. Good grief! Thanks for any
assistance! Diane

Old Jan 21st 2002, 4:27 pm
Shelley

For lots of helpful information on filing for a spousal visa try this website
http://www.geocities.com/immigration_helpsite/index.htm And for even more information
on many immigration issues, including example forms and links to INS office timelines
see http://www.mindspring.com/~docsteen/...o/visainfo.htm Generally, a spousal
visa takes about a year, first for the I-130 approval in the US, then processing at
Embassy/Consulate overseas. There is also the new K-3 visa, which is explained on the
website , which could bring your spouse to the US a little sooner. Try posting at
alt.visa.us.marriage-based for folks going through this process. On a personal note -
the K-1 (fiancé) visa is faster in that you and your loved one can be together
sooner, taking usually only 6 months, but once you are married then the AOS process
can take anywhere from 1 day to 4 years, depending on where you live in the US Take
Care. Shelley

>
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >