Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

How does my daughter enter?

Wikiposts

How does my daughter enter?

Old Feb 7th 2008, 8:24 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How does my daughter enter?

Originally Posted by meauxna
It is much faster if you petition in Canada: http://www.amcits.com/immigration_usa_relative.asp

Not that it is 'fast' by most standards. Just faster than petition in the US.

You might really want to consider a private consultation with an attorney.
meauxna, Is that like DCF? I guess you can do that for any relative, right? I'm so used to that being just for spouses....

If so, never mind my post about having to send it to the USA.

Rene
Old Feb 7th 2008, 8:31 am

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Noorah101
I don't think you have a choice. Either way, the I-130 goes to a US Service Center for processing, the length of processing would be the same.

Rene
I disagree. I-130s for Immediate Relatives can be filed in Canadian Consulate (exception Quebec City last time I looked).
Old Feb 7th 2008, 8:33 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

I disagree. I-130s for Immediate Relatives can be filed in Canadian Consulate (exception Quebec City last time I looked).
I understand now. I was thinking of DCF only for spouses. oops.
Old Feb 7th 2008, 8:36 am

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

I understand now. I was thinking of DCF only for spouses. oops.
Yup, all IRs.. spouse, parent child.
Old Feb 7th 2008, 8:58 am
Just Joined

captain76 is an unknown quantity at this point

I don't think you have a choice. Either way, the I-130 goes to a US Service Center for processing, the length of processing would be the same.

Rene

I suppose if one is told it'll take 4 months here but 8 months there, it's more comforting if one goes the '4 month' route. Or maybe it is just a form of self-delusion.

Thanks for the advice - looks like Canada it is.

Last edited by captain76; Feb 7th 2008 at 9:01 am.
Old Feb 7th 2008, 10:31 am

Originally Posted by captain76

I suppose if one is told it'll take 4 months here but 8 months there, it's more comforting if one goes the '4 month' route. Or maybe it is just a form of self-delusion.

Thanks for the advice - looks like Canada it is.
The problem with Immigrant Visas in Canada is that they all go through Montreal. MTL is notoriously slow with giving out interviews; recent timelines are long.. as in 9-12 months petition-->interview. While this can of course change at any time, it's only BEEN changing in one direction (slower).

Please don't discount a $100-$200 consultation with a US Immigration attorney who is awake.
Old Feb 7th 2008, 12:30 pm
Just Joined

The problem with Immigrant Visas in Canada is that they all go through Montreal. MTL is notoriously slow with giving out interviews; recent timelines are long.. as in 9-12 months petition-->interview. While this can of course change at any time, it's only BEEN changing in one direction (slower).

Please don't discount a $100-$200 consultation with a US Immigration attorney who is awake.
Sounds like a good idea.

Regarding the interview, who exactly do they interview when the applicant is a child? My daughter is 6 years old.
Old Feb 7th 2008, 1:57 pm

Sounds like a good idea.

Regarding the interview, who exactly do they interview when the applicant is a child? My daughter is 6 years old.
Well, the 'interviews' are hardly intensive.. but they do generally need to put eyeballs on the person.
A quick google shows that for an Immigrant Visa, the child MUST appear in person (not so for non-immigrant or derivative visas).
Old Feb 7th 2008, 2:11 pm
Account Closed

Folinskyinla is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for that info.
However, it's interesting that the last part of the info on the Child Citizenship Act ("Other Provisions") states "The child lives abroad in the legal and physical custody of the American citizen parent and has been lawfully admitted into the United States as a nonimmigrant." - wouldn't entering on a VWP be "lawfully admitted ... as a nonimmigrant"?
(I suppose now that things are sorted for me I want us both to get into USA legally and permanently, as quickly as possible - I'm just looking for the fastest route).
Hi:

I looked up that link. I will admit that I had totally forgotten about 322(a)(2)(B) where you could use YOUR mother's prior residence in the United States [at least five years, 2 while over 14]. [I will say "I may be a lawyer, but I'm not your lawyer." I've never done one of these, and you learn something new every day].

The N-600K can be filed at ANY local "field office" -- so you can look on line as to which one has the shortest backlog. It seems that Buffalo is pretty quick while Seattle is pretty backlogged [I was looking at "border" CIS field offices].

When you get the interview date, that is considered a ground for a "B-2" visa and entry -- so it seems that that VWT would be appropriate with.

I will say a retained consultation might have gotten you to that result quicker [I dig deeper when I'm paid for it. I post general information on this forum].

FWIW, Andrew Wilson of this list [email protected] and James Eiss, [email protected] are two excellent lawyers in Buffalo.

Good luck.

Last edited by Folinskyinla; Feb 7th 2008 at 2:16 pm. Reason: add a reference
Old Feb 7th 2008, 5:27 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Folinskyinla
Hi:

I looked up that link. I will admit that I had totally forgotten about 322(a)(2)(B) where you could use YOUR mother's prior residence in the United States [at least five years, 2 while over 14]. [I will say "I may be a lawyer, but I'm not your lawyer." I've never done one of these, and you learn something new every day].

The N-600K can be filed at ANY local "field office" -- so you can look on line as to which one has the shortest backlog. It seems that Buffalo is pretty quick while Seattle is pretty backlogged [I was looking at "border" CIS field offices].

When you get the interview date, that is considered a ground for a "B-2" visa and entry -- so it seems that that VWT would be appropriate with.
Thank you very much, you are definitley the man.

However, please could you explain what "... so it seems that that VWT would be appropriate with" means? I read that again and again and it didn't seem to make sense grammatically. Also what does VWT stand for?
Old Feb 7th 2008, 8:57 pm
Just Joined

Hi:

Thanks.
The processing times stated is the time to do what exactly?
Old Feb 8th 2008, 1:11 am
Account Closed

Thank you very much, you are definitley the man.

However, please could you explain what "... so it seems that that VWT would be appropriate with" means? I read that again and again and it didn't seem to make sense grammatically. Also what does VWT stand for?
Hi:

The visa waiver program is for entry as a "B" visitor for pleasure minus the visa. VWB is the equivalent of a "B-1" business entry and VWT is the equivalent of a "B-2" visit for pleasure. The CIS interview notice for a 322 citizenship interview is set forth as qualifying as a B-2.
Old Feb 8th 2008, 1:14 am
Account Closed

Thanks.
The processing times stated is the time to do what exactly?
Hi:

"Exactly" is a term which can't be used. However, CIS does post processing times on its website and you can check what THEY say about processing of N-600's. BTW, at those interviews, if all the ducks are in a row, you walk out with a certificate of citizenship for your daughter.
Old Feb 8th 2008, 7:42 am
Just Joined

Hi:

The visa waiver program is for entry as a "B" visitor for pleasure minus the visa. VWB is the equivalent of a "B-1" business entry and VWT is the equivalent of a "B-2" visit for pleasure. The CIS interview notice for a 322 citizenship interview is set forth as qualifying as a B-2.
Thank you, explains it perfectly.
Old Feb 8th 2008, 7:44 am
Just Joined

Hi:

"Exactly" is a term which can't be used. However, CIS does post processing times on its website and you can check what THEY say about processing of N-600's. BTW, at those interviews, if all the ducks are in a row, you walk out with a certificate of citizenship for your daughter.
Thanks, the shortest 'processing time' seems to be 3 months.

Ok, I should have just said "what does the processing time relate to"?

1) From 'receipt of application' to 'provision of certificate'?
2) From 'receipt of application' to 'notification of interview'?
3) Any other combination of events?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.