Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

How do you prove a legitimate marriage in the beginning??

Wikiposts

How do you prove a legitimate marriage in the beginning??

Old Jul 20th 2007, 3:38 pm
Forum Regular

pixieprincess30 is just really nicepixieprincess30 is just really nicepixieprincess30 is just really nicepixieprincess30 is just really nicepixieprincess30 is just really nicepixieprincess30 is just really nicepixieprincess30 is just really nicepixieprincess30 is just really nice
Default How do you prove a legitimate marriage in the beginning??

We are in the process of filing our AOS packet and it says on there to send in at least one of the following to prove cohabitation. Here's the problem. Without him having a social security number, I can't add him to my bank account nor anything else (obviously we are sending the EAD in with this packet as well). We live in a house that is owned by my parents (they live in FL now). If we choose to have our friends sign affidavits, can they just be drawn up by us and if so, do they need to be notarized? Can someone help me out here?
Old Jul 20th 2007, 3:59 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How do you prove a legitimate marriage in the beginning??

Originally Posted by pixieprincess30
If we choose to have our friends sign affidavits, can they just be drawn up by us and if so, do they need to be notarized? Can someone help me out here?
Yes, you can draw up the affidavits, your friends and family can sign them, and they do not need to be notarized.

However, that's not the best kind of proof. I was able to add my husband to my household bills without him having a SSN. I was also able to add him to my credit cards, bank account, and health insurance all without a SSN. I added him as a beneficiary to my life insurance and retirement accounts without a SSN. When he got a SSN, we went back and notified everyone.

Did you check it all out firsthand, or are you just assuming you can't do any of that without a SSN? Give those a try.

Best Wishes,
Rene
Old Jul 20th 2007, 4:01 pm
Forum Regular

pixieprincess30 is just really nicepixieprincess30 is just really nicepixieprincess30 is just really nicepixieprincess30 is just really nicepixieprincess30 is just really nicepixieprincess30 is just really nicepixieprincess30 is just really nicepixieprincess30 is just really nice

Originally Posted by Noorah101
Yes, you can draw up the affidavits, your friends and family can sign them, and they do not need to be notarized.

However, that's not the best kind of proof. I was able to add my husband to my household bills without him having a SSN. I was also able to add him to my credit cards, bank account, and health insurance all without a SSN. I added him as a beneficiary to my life insurance and retirement accounts without a SSN. When he got a SSN, we went back and notified everyone.

Did you check it all out firsthand, or are you just assuming you can't do any of that without a SSN? Give those a try.

Best Wishes,
Rene
No, i didn't, actually, i just assumed...guess that's what i get for assuming..lol. Thank you for the info.
Old Jul 20th 2007, 4:37 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Get you parents to write up a lease contract for the house in both
your name .. even if its just for a token rent ..
Old Jul 20th 2007, 4:45 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Ray
Get you parents to write up a lease contract for the house in both
your name .. even if its just for a token rent ..
You mean, like a dummy lease? But it won't legally give us any rights to the house, correct?
Old Jul 20th 2007, 4:53 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

You mean, like a dummy lease? But it won't legally give us any rights to the house, correct?
its between you two and your parents ...
it could just say ..you have to keep the house in good condition
while you live there ...what you do with the contract later is up
to you you can buy contracts at staples etc .. just fill the details ..
Old Jul 20th 2007, 11:15 pm
BE Forum Addict

Deedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ray
its between you two and your parents ...
it could just say ..you have to keep the house in good condition
while you live there ...what you do with the contract later is up
to you you can buy contracts at staples etc .. just fill the details ..
we didnt have same bank account or credit cards... and probably wont in the future either. Utilities we had the same problem, no SSN they were not all happy about putting me on, but i got put on consumers, and got put on DTE! ATT wouldnt !! what i did was save the post we got, even if it wasnt posted to both of us, just to show that mail was coming to the house for both of us, which at the interview they asked for!! something that came in the mail with our names on it! because our JOINT stuff was quite minimal, we both got our testaments done with each other as beneficiaries, and he got his life insurance put as I am the beneficiary. That was what they took and copied and it seemed enough for him.
Old Jul 21st 2007, 1:26 am
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

We are in the process of filing our AOS packet and it says on there to send in at least one of the following to prove cohabitation. Here's the problem. Without him having a social security number, I can't add him to my bank account nor anything else (obviously we are sending the EAD in with this packet as well). We live in a house that is owned by my parents (they live in FL now). If we choose to have our friends sign affidavits, can they just be drawn up by us and if so, do they need to be notarized? Can someone help me out here?
Adding him to your health life insurance and taking out a joint life insurance policy is the easiest - and provides the most compelling evidence.
Old Jul 21st 2007, 2:16 am
Forum Regular

khai ko is an unknown quantity at this point

I have a question related to this. The I-130 asks to send at least one form of proof of joint life as a supporting with the application. What I am bit concerned about is we just got married last week and I probably won't have any of those proof ready to send with the package to USCIS next week before the fee increase. Would this cause any problem? Will they flag our application as lacking initial supporting evidence and cause a delay/RFE?

I will however have several such proofs by the time we are called for an interview.
Old Jul 21st 2007, 3:54 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by khai ko
I have a question related to this. The I-130 asks to send at least one form of proof of joint life as a supporting with the application. What I am bit concerned about is we just got married last week and I probably won't have any of those proof ready to send with the package to USCIS next week before the fee increase. Would this cause any problem? Will they flag our application as lacking initial supporting evidence and cause a delay/RFE?

I will however have several such proofs by the time we are called for an interview.
If you send an AOS package lacking something which is asked for on the instructions, you run the risk of either receiving an RFE for the missing item(s), or your whole AOS package returned as "incomplete". There's no way of knowing which one USCIS will choose to do. If they send you an RFE, you won't have to pay higher fees. If they return the whole package and ask you to re-file all the information, you could pay the higher fee.

Best Wishes,
Rene
Old Jul 21st 2007, 4:20 am

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by khai ko

Many newlyweds who don't yet live together have been successfully using affidavits from family and friends to satisfy the new requirement on the I-130.

Last edited by meauxna; Jul 21st 2007 at 7:35 am. Reason: typo was making me lose sleep
Old Jul 21st 2007, 1:06 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by meauxna
Many newlyweds who don't yet live together have been successfully using affidavits from family and friends to satisfy the new requirement on the I-130.
Well, i personally typed up a few for some of my friends, which sort of said the same things in a nutshell, and one for my brother....will it matter that i typed them up and they signed them? They do essentially contain much of the same content, brief but to the point...
Old Jul 21st 2007, 1:07 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by meauxna
Well, i personally typed up a few for some of my friends, which sort of said the same things in a nutshell, and one for my brother....will it matter that i typed them up and they signed them? They do essentially contain much of the same content, brief but to the point...
Old Jul 21st 2007, 1:35 pm
Forum Regular

Question Re: How do you prove a legitimate marriage in the beginning??

Because if i need to come up with something else, i need to do it before next week when we have to mail the AOS packet off before the fees increase...