Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

how do you proove a relationship????

Wikiposts

how do you proove a relationship????

Old Aug 18th 2004, 3:51 pm
Forum Regular

hopelessinks is a jewel in the roughhopelessinks is a jewel in the roughhopelessinks is a jewel in the roughhopelessinks is a jewel in the rough
Default how do you proove a relationship????

Hi all

I have a question...I am preparing to get all paperwork and supporting documents together...for when I get an interview...and as I have never had to PROOVE to anyone that the relationship is real...how do you do this...we don't have a joint bank account...as my husband does have some debts that were run up during a previous marriage, and the account is on my name only...to protect assets...lol...we do have a child together (born in wedlock) photographs, and some letters and such...we also have matching tattoos that my husband designed (nothing nasty or gordy, and it doesn't show LOL) we do have some joint 'accounts'...the satalite bill comes in both our names, and some rental agreements are in both our names,also our PO BOX is in both our names (the post office doesn't deliver physical mail here!) would this be sufficient?? Any pointers would be appreciated...

thanks
Old Aug 18th 2004, 4:04 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: how do you proove a relationship????

Originally Posted by hopelessinks
Hi all

I have a question...I am preparing to get all paperwork and supporting documents together...for when I get an interview...and as I have never had to PROOVE to anyone that the relationship is real...how do you do this...we don't have a joint bank account...as my husband does have some debts that were run up during a previous marriage, and the account is on my name only...to protect assets...lol...we do have a child together (born in wedlock) photographs, and some letters and such...we also have matching tattoos that my husband designed (nothing nasty or gordy, and it doesn't show LOL) we do have some joint 'accounts'...the satalite bill comes in both our names, and some rental agreements are in both our names,also our PO BOX is in both our names (the post office doesn't deliver physical mail here!) would this be sufficient?? Any pointers would be appreciated...

thanks
Yup, bills in your name, photo's of you guys going out and other family pics of you guys together would do the trick
Old Aug 18th 2004, 4:12 pm
Forum Regular

hopelessinks is a jewel in the roughhopelessinks is a jewel in the roughhopelessinks is a jewel in the roughhopelessinks is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by bobz
Yup, bills in your name, photo's of you guys going out and other family pics of you guys together would do the trick
Thanks for the quick reply Bobz hopefully I am stressing about nothing...but if I didn't have stress I would have nothing!! LOL
Old Aug 18th 2004, 10:16 pm
Forum Regular

alex_lg is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi all

thanks
You have a kid together. What else is there to prove? Don't worry about this subject.
Old Aug 19th 2004, 1:57 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by alex_lg
You have a kid together. What else is there to prove? Don't worry about this subject.
Hw many people do you know that have kids together that are not in relationships???? I know quite a few people that are in that situation...not ideal I know but it is true.
Old Aug 19th 2004, 2:59 am
Account Closed

Folinskyinla is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi all

thanks
Hi:

Your kid is evidence. Really.

BTW, when husband goes on active duty -- get that dependant's ID. I assume you are named on the SGILI policy. Will you be drawing quarter's allowance from DOD? Things like that help.

BTW, where are you located?
Old Aug 19th 2004, 3:07 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Folinskyinla
Hi:

Your kid is evidence. Really.

BTW, when husband goes on active duty -- get that dependant's ID. I assume you are named on the SGILI policy. Will you be drawing quarter's allowance from DOD? Things like that help.

BTW, where are you located?
I already have a military dependants ID card ( I got that a few months ago when rumors stared flying about possible deployments) I am on the SGLI policy, and we will be recieving BAH housing allowance...we are in Kansas...does this clarify everything?...do you think there is anything else we need to address before his departure?

thanks

Last edited by hopelessinks; Aug 19th 2004 at 3:08 am. Reason: spelling
Old Aug 19th 2004, 3:19 am
Account Closed

Folinskyinla is an unknown quantity at this point

I already have a military dependants ID card ( I got that a few months ago when rumors stared flying about possible deployments) I am on the SGLI policy, and we will be recieving BAH housing allowance...we are in Kansas...does this clarify everything?...do you think there is anything else we need to address before his departure?

thanks
Hi:

I asked the location just in case you were in So.Cal. [Desert or "Inland Empire" area] so I might have some referral sources for you.

You have plenty of evidence of relationship IMHO -- much of it from the government itself. Not bad.
Old Aug 19th 2004, 5:27 am
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Hi all

thanks
Just so you know, you aren't protecting his income assets, i.e. employment earnings by having the account in your name. You do not work. You do not contribute to the household coffers. If the creditors want to come after him they can garnishee his salary.

Sounds like you are covered. Just curious why it has taken you two years to apply for adjustment of status. How have you coped with being in the US illegally for all this time and without a social security number, right to work, drive, even get a library card? You don't have to answer but I thought I would ask.

Rete
Old Aug 19th 2004, 5:35 am
I'm back!

Just Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rete
Just curious why it has taken you two years to apply for adjustment of status. How have you coped with being in the US illegally for all this time and without a social security number, right to work, drive, even get a library card? You don't have to answer but I thought I would ask.
I was wondering the same thing.

~ Jenney
Old Aug 19th 2004, 5:36 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Sounds like you are covered. Just curious why it has taken you two years to apply for adjustment of status. How have you coped with being in the US illegally for all this time and without a social security number, right to work, drive, even get a library card? You don't have to answer but I thought I would ask.

Rete
You don't need to be legal to get a library card, as for driving, that's state by state
Old Aug 19th 2004, 5:54 am
Forum Regular

Just so you know, you aren't protecting his income assets, i.e. employment earnings by having the account in your name. You do not work. You do not contribute to the household coffers. If the creditors want to come after him they can garnishee his salary.

Rete
It's okay...I will answer...I don't have anything to hide!!..

firstly the 'protecting his assets' thing was more of a joke...we don't have any...LOL

secondly I have 'survived' 2 years by being good and staying out of trouble..not hard as I am not a trouble maker by any means...driving is not an issue right now as I en afraid to drive on the 'wrong side' of the road...it's not the straight runs...it's the intersections that I would be nervous about...lol everything is backwards to what I am used to.

Thirdly it has taken this long to adjust status because we were under the impression that we would have to pay the $1000 'fine' for the I 485a supplement...and that sort of cash was far out of our reach with me not working..and only one income coming in...I have only just recentlty found out that I don't have to pay that $1000...so it brings down the cost quite a lot...also there was the fear factor that if I faced up to me being here...I would get deported/removed, and wouldn't see my husband or child again...but we have decided to go for it now, and finally get rid of the cloud that is permanently above our heads...and then I can become a proper member of society and a tax payer to boot...all I want to do is to contribute...I can't stand being a 'kept woman'..

hope this answers your questions
Old Aug 19th 2004, 7:35 am
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bobz
You don't need to be legal to get a library card, as for driving, that's state by state

Did say you had to be legal. In NYS you have to show your social security card.
Old Aug 19th 2004, 7:37 am
Concierge

Well glad that you found out that the $1,000 fine is not applicable to you. Also will bet you a night on the town in NYC that you will NOT have a problem with your marital circumstances at the time of your interview.

R

It's okay...I will answer...I don't have anything to hide!!..

firstly the 'protecting his assets' thing was more of a joke...we don't have any...LOL

secondly I have 'survived' 2 years by being good and staying out of trouble..not hard as I am not a trouble maker by any means...driving is not an issue right now as I en afraid to drive on the 'wrong side' of the road...it's not the straight runs...it's the intersections that I would be nervous about...lol everything is backwards to what I am used to.

Thirdly it has taken this long to adjust status because we were under the impression that we would have to pay the $1000 'fine' for the I 485a supplement...and that sort of cash was far out of our reach with me not working..and only one income coming in...I have only just recentlty found out that I don't have to pay that $1000...so it brings down the cost quite a lot...also there was the fear factor that if I faced up to me being here...I would get deported/removed, and wouldn't see my husband or child again...but we have decided to go for it now, and finally get rid of the cloud that is permanently above our heads...and then I can become a proper member of society and a tax payer to boot...all I want to do is to contribute...I can't stand being a 'kept woman'..

hope this answers your questions
Old Aug 19th 2004, 7:41 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Did say you had to be legal. In NYS you have to show your social security card.
Don't need to be a permanant resident or anything, don't have to show social, but then I'm in maine, only had to prove address by showing mail with my name on it to be a local member otherwise would have to pay to join as a guest member, something they do mainly for holiday people I guess and people that live in neighbouring towns

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.