How do I move my CAN lady to the UK

Wikiposts

How do I move my CAN lady to the UK

Old May 30th 2006, 6:20 am
Just Joined

Flying Tiger is an unknown quantity at this point
Default How do I move my CAN lady to the UK

Hi
I presently live in the USA on a green card and I want to move back to the UK with my Canadian girlfriend. We want to be together and I cant sponser her into the USA. What is the best, safest, easyist way to do this. ? We dont have a lot of money and I've been out of the UK for 4 years.
thank you
Old May 30th 2006, 10:22 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How do I move my CAN lady to the UK

Originally Posted by Flying Tiger
Hi
I presently live in the USA on a green card and I want to move back to the UK with my Canadian girlfriend. We want to be together and I cant sponser her into the USA. What is the best, safest, easyist way to do this. ? We dont have a lot of money and I've been out of the UK for 4 years.
thank you
She will need a visa to enter the UK for settlement purposes (she can't arrive as a visitor and hope to switch). How long have you been living together?

Visit http://www.ukvisas.gov.uk for information on entry clearance.

Are you aware that you will most likely lose your green card once you cease living in the US. If you want to keep it, are you sure you've looked at all the possible options to keep your girlfriend in the US until you become a US citizen and can sponsor her. For example, student visa, TN (NAFTA) visa, or even living on opposite sides of the US/Canada border for a while.
Old May 30th 2006, 11:18 pm
Account Closed

Squirrel is an unknown quantity at this point

See www.britainusa.com. You can get a visa for her in one day in person at the British Consulates in NYC, Chicago or LA, or by mail in about a week. You'll have to marry her though and apply for a Spousal visa for her unless you can prove you have been living together for 2 years (ie have bills etc for the same address) in which case you can apply for an Unmarried Partners visa. Do either of you have any savings? You don't need thousands but if you're going back with no job they would expect you to prove you won't need to claim public funds for her. Say enough to live on for 6 months (you can draw up a budget to show you can manage on this). You can get a co-sponsor - a sibling or parent is prefered - if you do not have any savings. Her parents as well as yours is OK. They have to write a letter to say they will support her if necessary and you'll need their last 3 months bank statements/wage slips and a letter from their employer/s. They don't have to actually give you any money though.
Old May 31st 2006, 12:56 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Squirrel
See www.britainusa.com. You can get a visa for her in one day in person at the British Consulates in NYC, Chicago or LA, or by mail in about a week. You'll have to marry her though and apply for a Spousal visa for her unless you can prove you have been living together for 2 years (ie have bills etc for the same address) in which case you can apply for an Unmarried Partners visa. Do either of you have any savings? You don't need thousands but if you're going back with no job they would expect you to prove you won't need to claim public funds for her. Say enough to live on for 6 months (you can draw up a budget to show you can manage on this). You can get a co-sponsor - a sibling or parent is prefered - if you do not have any savings. Her parents as well as yours is OK. They have to write a letter to say they will support her if necessary and you'll need their last 3 months bank statements/wage slips and a letter from their employer/s. They don't have to actually give you any money though.
Thank you,
She still lives in Canada and so would have to apply to the BC in Canada and I'm in the USA but I have a job to go to in the UK so I dont think the public funds issue would be a problem, We have not been together for 2 years so I think this limits our options to the fiance visa, The only problem is that she would not be able to work...This would be a problem for her. We are both in our 40's. Presumably it would be easier if we married first. next problem would be where to marry, USA CAN or UK!!! I wonder which would be best
Old May 31st 2006, 1:01 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by JAJ
She will need a visa to enter the UK for settlement purposes (she can't arrive as a visitor and hope to switch). How long have you been living together?

Visit http://www.ukvisas.gov.uk for information on entry clearance.

Are you aware that you will most likely lose your green card once you cease living in the US. If you want to keep it, are you sure you've looked at all the possible options to keep your girlfriend in the US until you become a US citizen and can sponsor her. For example, student visa, TN (NAFTA) visa, or even living on opposite sides of the US/Canada border for a while.
The Green card issue would not be a problem and the possiblity of us returning to live in the USA would be very remote, it would be at least 3 years before I could become a citizen. Opposite sides of the border could work but we want to be together "full time" and so the UK seems the best option for us at the moment.
Old May 31st 2006, 1:12 am
Account Closed

Thank you,
She still lives in Canada and so would have to apply to the BC in Canada and I'm in the USA but I have a job to go to in the UK so I dont think the public funds issue would be a problem, We have not been together for 2 years so I think this limits our options to the fiance visa, The only problem is that she would not be able to work...This would be a problem for her. We are both in our 40's. Presumably it would be easier if we married first. next problem would be where to marry, USA CAN or UK!!! I wonder which would be best
You can't marry in the UK without a Fiancee visa for her. I don't know about Canada but to marry in the US she can just come as a visitor so that would seem a good option.
Old May 31st 2006, 1:22 am
Just Joined

You can't marry in the UK without a Fiancee visa for her. I don't know about Canada but to marry in the US she can just come as a visitor so that would seem a good option.
Hi Squirrel
This gets complicated, I suppose that If we are going to the UK anyway and our families are in the UK and CAN then we would not want to marry in the USA as everyone would need to travel for the wedding. If I need an entry clearence for her either as a fiance OR a spouse then it would seem eisier to go the fiancee route and marry in the UK even though she could not work straight away. Any idea how long after we marry would it be before she could start working? She is eager to start!
Old May 31st 2006, 1:25 am
Account Closed

Hi Squirrel
This gets complicated, I suppose that If we are going to the UK anyway and our families are in the UK and CAN then we would not want to marry in the USA as everyone would need to travel for the wedding. If I need an entry clearence for her either as a fiance OR a spouse then it would seem eisier to go the fiancee route and marry in the UK even though she could not work straight away. Any idea how long after we marry would it be before she could start working? She is eager to start!
The quickest you can marry is 22 days after arrival in the UK (7 days residence, 15 waiting days). Then as soon after the wedding as you can upgrade to spousal visa she can start work! If you go in person you can get the Spousal visa in one day but it does cost more that way. £500 to be exact.
Old May 31st 2006, 1:37 am
Just Joined

The quickest you can marry is 22 days after arrival in the UK (7 days residence, 15 waiting days). Then as soon after the wedding as you can upgrade to spousal visa she can start work! If you go in person you can get the Spousal visa in one day but it does cost more that way. £500 to be exact.
Hi Squirrel
That seems our best option. It looks like both of us will be doing lots of form filling over the next few weeks or so. thanks for the advice. I had forgotten about the waiting and residence time. Is the 500GBP for the fast service or is it for the change in Visa?
Old May 31st 2006, 2:24 am
Account Closed

Hi Squirrel
That seems our best option. It looks like both of us will be doing lots of form filling over the next few weeks or so. thanks for the advice. I had forgotten about the waiting and residence time. Is the 500GBP for the fast service or is it for the change in Visa?
The Fiancee visa (obtained outside the UK) is £250, the Spousal visa (in the UK) is £500 for the personal appointment or £335 by post.
Old May 31st 2006, 2:31 am
Just Joined

The Fiancee visa (obtained outside the UK) is £250, the Spousal visa (in the UK) is £500 for the personal appointment or £335 by post.
Hi Squirrel

Thanks for all the information. This has helped tremendously. UK here we come.