Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

How do I get my girl from UK to America? Please help

Wikiposts

How do I get my girl from UK to America? Please help

Old Oct 26th 2007, 12:49 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Tracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How do I get my girl from UK to America? Please help

Originally Posted by Noorah101
Here's the link to the fees for the petitions for the K-1 and subsequent AOS: http://www.uscis.gov/portal/site/usc...0045f3d6a1RCRD

Looks like the I-129F, her fee for the visa, and AOS comes to $1,565. On top of that, she'll need a medical, which I guess runs around $200 or so, might depend on the doctor. She'll need another visit to the doc in the USA for the vaccination supplement, figure maybe another $100 for that. If she needs to travel to London for the visa interview, figure in the cost of travel, hotel, food for that. Figure in the cost for getting her over to the USA - plane fare, moving expenses, etc. Figure in cost of incidentals like photocopies and photographs.

Probably figure around $2,500 to $3,000 at least.

Rene
I think the only doctor is knightsbridge in London. And I think more like $400.
Old Oct 26th 2007, 3:07 pm
Just Joined

Josefsing is an unknown quantity at this point

Cool. I doubt I meet the income requirements. I work part time and go to college. But, Im sure my parents do. One thing that is nice - I work for northwest airlines. So, I can fly her here for less than 200 dollars. Once she gets the K-1 form and is here for 90 days and we get married. How long does it take to receieve the permanent resident form ?
Old Oct 26th 2007, 3:13 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Josefsing
Cool. I doubt I meet the income requirements. I work part time and go to college. But, Im sure my parents do. One thing that is nice - I work for northwest airlines. So, I can fly her here for less than 200 dollars. Once she gets the K-1 form and is here for 90 days and we get married. How long does it take to receieve the permanent resident form ?
The permanent resident "form" you refer to is called a Green Card. How long it takes to get it, depends on your local office backlog. From the time you file AOS, it can take anywhere from 3 to 12 months. In the meantime, she is here legally, and can have permission to work and travel overseas.

Rene
Old Oct 26th 2007, 3:20 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

The permanent resident "form" you refer to is called a Green Card. How long it takes to get it, depends on your local office backlog. From the time you file AOS, it can take anywhere from 3 to 12 months. In the meantime, she is here legally, and can have permission to work and travel overseas.

Rene
Here is the link for processing dates: https://egov.uscis.gov/cris/jsps/ptimes.jsp

For the I-129F, you'll want to use the Service Center category. For the AOS, you'll want to use the Field Office category. For the EAD (work authorization) and AP (travel document), you'll want to use the National Benefits Center category.

The Service Center and NBC categories are not a time set in stone. It's highly variable. The field office category is a little more realistic.
Old Oct 26th 2007, 3:23 pm
Just Joined

Im going to sound clueless but I am lol. Do you mail off all these form or are the field office - service center actual places you go to? The city i live in only has population of about 150,000 - So, I hope that I have the resources
Old Oct 26th 2007, 3:25 pm

Im going to sound clueless but I am lol. Do you mail off all these form or are the field office - service center actual places you go to? The city i live in only has population of about 150,000 - So, I hope that I have the resources
Hmmmm....did you go to www.usics.gov, Immigration Forms, I-129F and read the instructions yet? It tells you over there how to submit the petition.

The only place you'll go to in person is your local field office, for the AOS interview. If you go to the link I provided, there is probably a link over there on how to find your local office.
Old Oct 26th 2007, 3:27 pm

Hmmmm....did you go to www.usics.gov, Immigration Forms, I-129F and read the instructions yet? It tells you over there how to submit the petition.

The only place you'll go to in person is your local field office, for the AOS interview. If you go to the link I provided, there is probably a link over there on how to find your local office.
Field Office Locator: https://egov.uscis.gov/crisgwi/go?ac...office_type=LO

Took me all of about 1.5 minutes to find it on google.

Rene
Old Oct 26th 2007, 3:29 pm

Well, and she will also go in person to the US Embassy in London for her visa interview, and she'll go in person to an ASC center in the USA for her biometrics....
Old Oct 26th 2007, 3:44 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Rene, you are being waaaaaay too kind.

Josefsing: more reading, less talking
Old Oct 26th 2007, 3:46 pm

Originally Posted by meauxna
Rene, you are being waaaaaay too kind.

Josefsing: more reading, less talking
At least I'm providing the links. LOL
Old Oct 26th 2007, 3:47 pm
Just Joined

Meau - i promise I am reading. I have read so much today my head hurts. i am very thankful for any help I can get. Thankyou so much rene
Old Oct 27th 2007, 2:10 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Rene
or longer if the name is common and gets held up in the background name check.
Old Oct 27th 2007, 5:06 am
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

The city i live in only has population of about 150,000 - So, I hope that I have the resources
I don't live in a city, but the nearest big town to me has fewer than 25,000 people... and my nearest immigration office was a 3.5 hour drive. Since this was important to me, I made the effort! Good advice, don't you think?

Ian
Old Oct 27th 2007, 5:10 am

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Meau - i promise I am reading. I have read so much today my head hurts.
You do not have to learn this all in one day. In fact, it's much better if you plan on a couple of weeks before you absorb it all. I kept a notebook and made notes of my questions. I found they were all answered as I read the instructions and the posts of past users.
You haven't even yet proposed, so there is no emergency here. Put the effort in yourself and it will be all the more rewarding.