Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

How do i establish Credit?

Wikiposts

How do i establish Credit?

Old Jun 28th 2005, 5:10 am
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How do i establish Credit?

Originally Posted by jasonabc
Well as someone who arrived here 18 months ago on a K1 with no credit and now has very good credit what makes you think I need your advice (or would even bother to take it?)

You don't! I post for the OP and any other readers who may be interested. If you are not interested, do not bother posting. If you believe my advice is erroneous, please do raise it and provide justification so we can all learn about these processes that sometimes confuse us. If you have something witty to add, this is always welcome.

I have no idea how you have such good credit or whether your self-assessment of your own credit is justifiable. If you wish to post details and are interested in my assessment, please feel free to so do. If not, it doesn't really bother me.
Old Jun 28th 2005, 5:19 am
Forum Regular

jasonabc will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by fatbrit
I have no idea how you have such good credit or whether your self-assessment of your own credit is justifiable. If you wish to post details and are interested in my assessment, please feel free to so do. If not, it doesn't really bother me.
Well naturally I would - but I seem to recall the last person you challenged to do that on this forum was UKinTheUSA in a thread on this very topic (April 21st of this year) - and when you she told you the results of your FICO score calculator - you called her a liar because they were different to what you were expecting.

So you'll forgive me if I don't offer such information to you as my details would be as difficult for you to accept as UKinTheUSA's were.
Old Jun 28th 2005, 5:32 am
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jasonabc
As someone who arrived here 18 months ago on a K1 with no credit and now has very good credit what makes you think I need your advice (or would even bother to take it?)

Okay - so if you're not telling, let me start guessing. You probably have a reasonable FICO score since you piggy-backed off the USC spouse. However, if you only have 18 months of residence, I'd guess we'd be lucky to draw out 12 months of work experience. Sorry, you'd find it impossible to qualify for an "A' paper mortgage on your own merits. Is this excellent credit? I think not. Probably struggle for an FHA.
Old Jun 28th 2005, 6:17 am
Mrs. Yank

Petra is a name known to allPetra is a name known to allPetra is a name known to allPetra is a name known to allPetra is a name known to allPetra is a name known to allPetra is a name known to allPetra is a name known to allPetra is a name known to allPetra is a name known to allPetra is a name known to all
Default Re: How do I establish Credit?

I was rejected for mainstream credit cards twice, when our local Credit Union was willing to 'take a gamble' with me.
Have to admit that they probably did it as a favor to my hubby, but that aside.
I do not believe in debt, so it didn't bother me one bit that the interest on the card is sky high.
I never intend to use it. I use the card however, anywhere I can, and when the bill comes, I pay it - in full and on time.
A couple of weeks ago it was the turn of the south east to start applying for free credit reports*
from the three the big companies (*see below)
The first credit report I've ever seen with my name on it arrived a couple of days later.
Hmm... no debt, and even though a short history (only about 2.5 yrs) still excellent credit!

*https://www.annualcreditreport.com/cra/index.jsp
P.S. Clark Howard recommends you take turns and apply for each
of the free credit reports four months apart, to cover the year
Old Jun 28th 2005, 7:40 am
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How do I establish Credit?

Originally Posted by Petra
P.S. Clark Howard recommends you take turns and apply for each of the free credit reports four months apart, to cover the year
An excellent suggestion.

Ian