Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

How did you spend your last few weeks in England ?

How did you spend your last few weeks in England ?

Old May 1st 2012, 9:28 pm
Life goes on.

Uncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How did you spend your last few weeks in England ?

Originally Posted by kimilseung
Went up a few favorite Wainwrights.
Male or female?
Old May 1st 2012, 9:29 pm
He/him

kimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Uncle Ebenezer
Male or female?
That would be telling.
Old May 3rd 2012, 3:40 am
Banned

Primula has a spectacular aura aboutPrimula has a spectacular aura aboutPrimula has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing
I spent the whole of the last month before I left going in and out of the vet to check on one of my cats, who was run over by a car and had her pelvis shattered. I had to put her to sleep the day before I left
Lord, what a way to start a trip.

Went up a few favorite Wainwrights.
I had planned to polish them off, but there is a reason I had not done the last ten or so, so I did not bother, and went back to my favorites.
What are Wainwrights?
Old May 3rd 2012, 5:45 am
He/him

kimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Primula
Lord, what a way to start a trip.

What are Wainwrights?
The bumps in the landscape in the Lake District
Old May 3rd 2012, 11:08 am
Forum Regular

Bayleaf_01 will become famous soon enoughBayleaf_01 will become famous soon enough

I would like to revise my previous message and add that my last two weeks now involve stress about selling my house. The sale is now being delayed because the buyer's Building Society can't SPELL FFS, think I might explode. Waiting for new paperwork 10 days before we fly is not what I wanted to do, especially with a bank holiday!!!
Old May 3rd 2012, 5:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

GeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond repute

Similar story here: running around like a headless chicken, trying to get house sorted (both for packing and for selling), filling in massive customs forms for the shipping, and eating lots of curry.

My last semi-panic before heading off to the airport was dropping off a yellow sharps container, given to the wife for some home injections after a c-section. We were told to return it to the GP. GP said no, they can't accept it because it might be dangerous. Well hello, it's in a designated sharps container - and you deal with these all day long. No, you have to phone somebody to collect. I'm leaving for the airport right now, what shall I do - put it in a public bin (not seriously, just asking the question). I don't know but we can't accept it. In the end I asked my mum to deal with it.
Old May 4th 2012, 4:26 am
Banned

Primula has a spectacular aura aboutPrimula has a spectacular aura aboutPrimula has a spectacular aura about

Well I never! You learn something new every day.

Originally Posted by GeoffM
given to the wife for some home injections after a c-section
I'm guessing that this never happens in America that a woman self-injects after a C-Section, but maybe some of the mothers can enlighten us?
Old May 4th 2012, 4:50 am
Forum Regular

MadRad has a reputation beyond reputeMadRad has a reputation beyond reputeMadRad has a reputation beyond reputeMadRad has a reputation beyond reputeMadRad has a reputation beyond reputeMadRad has a reputation beyond reputeMadRad has a reputation beyond reputeMadRad has a reputation beyond reputeMadRad has a reputation beyond reputeMadRad has a reputation beyond reputeMadRad has a reputation beyond repute

Running around like an idiot. Worked until about 2 weeks before, then had to get the house ready for selling. It went on the market the day after we left. Managed to clear out a lot of stuff to charity shops, but didn't have time to ebay anything. Still had a load which just had to get shoved into the loft though. We threw a big party, and saw some other friends as well. The night before we stayed at my inlaws and my parents were there too - the inlaws live close to the airport so it made sense and they were all there for the big goodbye the next day. I bawled my eyes out until we'd taken off, then slept the entire flight, which I normally never do.

In hindsight, I wish I'd actually managed to get rid of more stuff. I thought I'd be able to do it when we came back to empty the house after selling, however, the four foot snow drifts in Scotland last winter put paid to that! So it all ended up shipped over here. So a year later, I am still trying to get stuff cleared out!
Old May 4th 2012, 4:55 pm
BE Forum Addict

GeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Primula
I'm guessing that this never happens in America that a woman self-injects after a C-Section, but maybe some of the mothers can enlighten us?
It was actually to prevent DVT after the op, called Fragmin (Heparin), preloaded syringes that you just stab, press, and dispose. I did a quick google and there are forums where US mother talk about self-injecting - throughout the entire pregnancy - so yes it is known in the US too. Wifey didn't have it for the first C-section 4 years ago though (in the UK).
Old May 4th 2012, 5:00 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by GeoffM
It was actually to prevent DVT after the op, called Fragmin (Heparin), preloaded syringes that you just stab, press, and dispose. I did a quick google and there are forums where US mother talk about self-injecting - throughout the entire pregnancy - so yes it is known in the US too. Wifey didn't have it for the first C-section 4 years ago though (in the UK).
Very interesting.
Old May 5th 2012, 1:09 am

Yorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond repute

DAMN! I wish I hadn't clicked that link......made me realize the main thing I miss over here (apart from family/friends). Used to do a lot of "Wainwighting" from about 14 to 35 yo when I left the UK. Miss it like hell!
Old May 5th 2012, 1:13 am

Yorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Philk
2 weeks on Friday I'll be taking my one way flight to the US.

I had thought that in the few weeks before then I'd be going round seeing places for the last time but that hasn't happened - too much to arrange, crappy rain rain rain all the time and the end of the footy season !
So apart from visiting my local a few times at lunchtime for a last soak of the atmosphere I haven't done much in the way of goodbyes. Family is scattered across the UK and I'm not close to them anyway and no best friends that I'm going to miss

How did you deal with the last few weeks - do anything special or just organise ?
Only had a little over a week to get sorted. Company transfer to Singapore for "maybe up to a year". That was in 95 and I've still not gone back, although the company did try to move me to London in 2000 - so I resigned!

Before leaving it was a very quick pack up of the apartment, got it on the market for rent. Big pissup in London with mates, another in the North with mates and a family visit then 2 suitcases and off to the airport. Didn't really have time to think about it till the plane took off, banked over London and I looked down and thought "holy crap, what am I doing??"