Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

How badly did I screw up?

Wikiposts

How badly did I screw up?

Old Dec 28th 2007, 3:39 pm
Forum Regular

RobertoSantos is a name known to allRobertoSantos is a name known to allRobertoSantos is a name known to allRobertoSantos is a name known to allRobertoSantos is a name known to allRobertoSantos is a name known to allRobertoSantos is a name known to allRobertoSantos is a name known to allRobertoSantos is a name known to allRobertoSantos is a name known to allRobertoSantos is a name known to all
Unhappy How badly did I screw up?

We live in a duplex, it's a two-story house, each floor a different address(1107, 1109). We used to live in the upper unit. The lower unit became available and the owner decided to do some major renovations in the whole building and my wife and I kind of lived in both units untill the renovation was over. In the end we had the choice of which unit we would like to live, and we chose the lower unit. The problem is: I changed my mailing address with the bank, gas company, etc but completely forgot to notify the Immigration... I just thought that since we were in the same house, same street it wouldn't be a problem, I still hope it is not. Anyway, just at the beggining of this month I notified them about the change (after a year).
I'm filing the I-751 at the end of january, so when sending them copies of bank statements, bills etc, should them match the period they think we lived in each unit? Most of my mail shows 1109, but to the Immigration I just moved to this address in November, so should I send the 1109 mail just for the months of November on (when they were notified)?
One more thing, the owner never gave us a new lease, since the rent is still the same. Should I ask him to write us a new lease?
By the way, thank you so much for all the help I've got so far from you guys.
Old Dec 28th 2007, 4:10 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How badly did I screw up?

Originally Posted by RobertoSantos
We live in a duplex, it's a two-story house, each floor a different address(1107, 1109). We used to live in the upper unit. The lower unit became available and the owner decided to do some major renovations in the whole building and my wife and I kind of lived in both units untill the renovation was over. In the end we had the choice of which unit we would like to live, and we chose the lower unit. The problem is: I changed my mailing address with the bank, gas company, etc but completely forgot to notify the Immigration... I just thought that since we were in the same house, same street it wouldn't be a problem, I still hope it is not. Anyway, just at the beggining of this month I notified them about the change (after a year).
I'm filing the I-751 at the end of january, so when sending them copies of bank statements, bills etc, should them match the period they think we lived in each unit? Most of my mail shows 1109, but to the Immigration I just moved to this address in November, so should I send the 1109 mail just for the months of November on (when they were notified)?
One more thing, the owner never gave us a new lease, since the rent is still the same. Should I ask him to write us a new lease?
By the way, thank you so much for all the help I've got so far from you guys.
You need to send in paperwork showing your joint life together from the time you got married, to today. If this included paperwork with 2 different addresses, so be it.

If all you have is the one lease, then that's all you can send, right? Unless you want to ask your landlord to write up a new lease. The choice is yours.

Best Wishes,
Rene
Old Dec 28th 2007, 6:14 pm
Lapine Member

snowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond repute

I'm still fretting over this.... none of the bills are in Toon's name because everything was set up before he moved here. The bank account yes, the credit cards yes, his car in both our names.... but no bills (eg electric, gas, cable).

Ah well, they can call us for an interview and figure out that we know each other alright.
Old Dec 28th 2007, 7:35 pm

Poppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by snowbunny
I'm still fretting over this.... none of the bills are in Toon's name because everything was set up before he moved here. The bank account yes, the credit cards yes, his car in both our names.... but no bills (eg electric, gas, cable).

Ah well, they can call us for an interview and figure out that we know each other alright.
You will be surprised what you actually have as joint evidence when you really look I was shocked as there were no real bills so to speak off.

The dates were you lived do not have to match the places that you lived at the time mine did not moved 5 times.
Old Dec 29th 2007, 1:40 am
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Not a problem ....I would say the majority have the alien moving into property that has been long previously owned by the US cit ..
Old Dec 29th 2007, 1:50 am
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

None of our utilities were or are in Jim's name either and he is now a US Citizen.

What we did include, and you might have the same sit as we do, the cellphone bill since it included both names with the corresponding number. And yes, the bill was only addressed to me.
Old Dec 29th 2007, 1:53 am
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

In answer to your question, you need to file an AR-11 and your financial sponsor needs to file an I-865. You need to advise the USCIS/Homeland Security within 10 days of when you move. The financial sponsor needs to update their address with USCIS when they move up until the time you have become a citizen, or have worked 40 quarters under SSA, die, leave the country permanently.
Old Dec 29th 2007, 3:55 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

I'm still fretting over this.... none of the bills are in Toon's name because everything was set up before he moved here. The bank account yes, the credit cards yes, his car in both our names.... but no bills (eg electric, gas, cable)
It was super easy for me to add Sadeghs' name to my existing utility bills. Just a phone call did it. They didn't need anything but his name.

Rene
Old Dec 29th 2007, 4:08 am
Forum Regular

RobertoSantos is a name known to allRobertoSantos is a name known to allRobertoSantos is a name known to allRobertoSantos is a name known to allRobertoSantos is a name known to allRobertoSantos is a name known to allRobertoSantos is a name known to allRobertoSantos is a name known to allRobertoSantos is a name known to allRobertoSantos is a name known to allRobertoSantos is a name known to all

We have both names in some of the utilities, my only concern was the different addresses not matching the time period we lived in each unit. Thanks for all the replies.
I'm worried because I sent the immigration the change of address form on the 22 of Dec, and today is the 29 and I still don't have the confirmation (from the Post Office) that they got the letter.
Old Dec 29th 2007, 4:10 am
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

I think I would have put my address down as
1107/1109 ..all bases covered ...
Old Dec 29th 2007, 4:14 am
Forum Regular

I should have done that, my bad.
Old Dec 29th 2007, 4:30 am
Forum Regular

Ops, I dit it again... Another mistake, I just checked my post office receipt, I wrote down the wrong mail box number, wrong zip code... no wonder they never got it. Heading to the Post Office now to re-send it, I can't believe I'm changing the address after a year I have moved.
Old Dec 29th 2007, 4:41 am
Forum Regular

I'm really going nuts, I sent it to the right address, just realized that Service Center has different mail box and zip codes for the forms I-751 and I-865.