Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

Horrible experience with so-called civil surgeon

Wikiposts

Horrible experience with so-called civil surgeon

Old Nov 11th 2010, 7:50 am
Badger Badger Badger

Malashaan is a glorious beacon of lightMalashaan is a glorious beacon of lightMalashaan is a glorious beacon of lightMalashaan is a glorious beacon of lightMalashaan is a glorious beacon of lightMalashaan is a glorious beacon of lightMalashaan is a glorious beacon of lightMalashaan is a glorious beacon of lightMalashaan is a glorious beacon of lightMalashaan is a glorious beacon of lightMalashaan is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Horrible experience with so-called civil surgeon

I used:

Dr. Vivian Esparza, Immigration Medical Exams of the Northeast
20 Ferguson Avenue, Burlington, VT 05401
(802) 238-7059

she wasn't as cheap as some that others ave mentioned, but the chepest i could find around here. She runs her practice from her family home which I liked and was really helpful and pleasant. She even told me that if I needed the varicella vaccine that it would be free through the state so I shouldn't pay her for it. As it turns out she tested my antibodies and I didn't need it, guess i must be a natural immune because I never had chicken pox as a kid.
Old Nov 12th 2010, 1:38 am
BE Enthusiast

helwardman has a reputation beyond reputehelwardman has a reputation beyond reputehelwardman has a reputation beyond reputehelwardman has a reputation beyond reputehelwardman has a reputation beyond reputehelwardman has a reputation beyond reputehelwardman has a reputation beyond reputehelwardman has a reputation beyond reputehelwardman has a reputation beyond reputehelwardman has a reputation beyond reputehelwardman has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by randomgirl
Interesting, I didn't know that was possible.
It seems that experiences vary on this one. From my research done at the time (admittedly 3 years ago) I read accounts of people successfully adjusting status from a K1 without including their vaccination records in the AOS package, some that did exactly what I did, and some that went along to a civil surgeon in person and were told that they needed a full medical doing.

All I know is what worked for me at the time.

I'm sorry this has created such a big hassle for you.
Old Nov 12th 2010, 1:49 am
BE Enthusiast

randomgirl is a glorious beacon of lightrandomgirl is a glorious beacon of lightrandomgirl is a glorious beacon of lightrandomgirl is a glorious beacon of lightrandomgirl is a glorious beacon of lightrandomgirl is a glorious beacon of lightrandomgirl is a glorious beacon of lightrandomgirl is a glorious beacon of lightrandomgirl is a glorious beacon of lightrandomgirl is a glorious beacon of lightrandomgirl is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by helwardman
It seems that experiences vary on this one. From my research done at the time (admittedly 3 years ago) I read accounts of people successfully adjusting status from a K1 without including their vaccination records in the AOS package, some that did exactly what I did, and some that went along to a civil surgeon in person and were told that they needed a full medical doing.

All I know is what worked for me at the time.

I'm sorry this has created such a big hassle for you.

Thanks for your reply

I'm just going to include all of the stuff from my new medical (in the sealed brown envelope from the civil surgeon, of course!) because even though it wasn't necessary, it's done now, and it'd be a waste of $245 to not bother including it. Also I figure if I now just sent my vaccination worksheet from my London medical, and USCIS did ask for more stuff, it'd look strange if I then sent them the brown envelope with the forms dated this week (they'd probably wonder why I didn't include it initially). So, it was a bad experience, but hey, it's over with now.

Hopefully the brown envelope and its contents will be ready for collection today, and then we can send my AOS stuff off this weekend! It'll be a weight off my mind once it's gone, I can't wait!

RG
Old Nov 12th 2010, 12:43 pm
BE Enthusiast

randomgirl is a glorious beacon of lightrandomgirl is a glorious beacon of lightrandomgirl is a glorious beacon of lightrandomgirl is a glorious beacon of lightrandomgirl is a glorious beacon of lightrandomgirl is a glorious beacon of lightrandomgirl is a glorious beacon of lightrandomgirl is a glorious beacon of lightrandomgirl is a glorious beacon of lightrandomgirl is a glorious beacon of lightrandomgirl is a glorious beacon of light

Hi everyone,

Just a quick update - we went to collect my medical packet from the civil surgeon's office this afternoon and they gave me a copy of all the paperwork and the x-rays, as I requested. They also (for some reason) waived the fee for the x-rays, which should've been $65. So that makes me feel a bit better about everything. I don't know if they were kind of acknowledging their mistake or what, but it was nice to not have to pay it.

RG
Old Nov 12th 2010, 1:23 pm
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

They also (for some reason) waived the fee for the x-rays, which should've been $65.
You'll probably find them as collections on your credit report a couple of years down the road!
Old Nov 12th 2010, 1:33 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by fatbrit
You'll probably find them as collections on your credit report a couple of years down the road!
I hope not!

I did tell them we needed to pay for the x-rays and they just said not to worry about it...

RG
Old Nov 12th 2010, 1:55 pm
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

I hope not!

I did tell them we needed to pay for the x-rays and they just said not to worry about it...

RG
In that case the bill will be coming from the radiologist.....or the collection agency.

BTW, don't worry about a medical collection on your credit report. You're can't become a real American without a few of them on there!
Old Nov 12th 2010, 2:09 pm
Forum Regular

andrewdean is an unknown quantity at this point

It is probably Immigration in Phoenix, when I was getting my green 7 years ago the phoenix office made me redo my medical as they claim they never got the records from the POE. I also had to do the Chest X-Ray and then had to explain to the civil surgeon what the different vaccinations were on my shots record. All in all seemed like a nice racket for the civil surgeon I think the whole cost was about $300-400 as insurance did not cover it.
Old Nov 12th 2010, 4:08 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by fatbrit
In that case the bill will be coming from the radiologist.....or the collection agency.

BTW, don't worry about a medical collection on your credit report. You're can't become a real American without a few of them on there!
I don't think so, it was definitely the civil surgeon's office we were supposed to pay for the x-rays. I asked them on Wednesday how much it was and it was meant to be $65, I also asked if we would get charged for a report and they said no. I'd arranged to pay it today as my hubby had to leave before the end of my visit on Wednesday (and he has the money, lol).

RG
Old Nov 12th 2010, 4:13 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by andrewdean
It is probably Immigration in Phoenix, when I was getting my green 7 years ago the phoenix office made me redo my medical as they claim they never got the records from the POE. I also had to do the Chest X-Ray and then had to explain to the civil surgeon what the different vaccinations were on my shots record. All in all seemed like a nice racket for the civil surgeon I think the whole cost was about $300-400 as insurance did not cover it.
That's not good!

I'm glad they didn't charge that much, that's a lot. The office we went to accepts insurance from only one specific insurance company, which wasn't ours (and probably isn't most peoples' insurance company either!).

RG