Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

holds on nonimmigrant visas?

Wikiposts

holds on nonimmigrant visas?

Old Nov 20th 2002, 6:00 am
jingling

jcapulet has a reputation beyond reputejcapulet has a reputation beyond reputejcapulet has a reputation beyond reputejcapulet has a reputation beyond reputejcapulet has a reputation beyond reputejcapulet has a reputation beyond reputejcapulet has a reputation beyond reputejcapulet has a reputation beyond reputejcapulet has a reputation beyond reputejcapulet has a reputation beyond reputejcapulet has a reputation beyond repute
Default holds on nonimmigrant visas?

Hi,

ok...dumb question: Is this a reliable clip? its dated sept 30 and it talks of Oct 18...unless this is about a year ago, if someone knows?
Btw, is Canada one of the 26 countries? I'm still wondering what's delaying our fiance petition (like everyone else ) with NOA1 dated Oct. 1. Does this have anything to do with the delays? I found this on "ISSS-BU News • September 30 2002". I dont know what ISSS-BU is, but I'm just curious?
Juliet

ISSS-BU News • September 30 2002

On October 18, the State Department sent a cable to consular post announcing that the interim 20-day hold procedure for certain nonimmigrant visa applications was terminated, effective immediately. The notice applied to all future applications as well as to those at any point in the 20-day hold queue. The State Department notified consular posts that all such cases may immediately be processed to conclusion, provided the case is not subject to any other special clearance procedures.
This notice is believed to apply only to the "26 countries" participating in the Visa Waiver Program.
The 20-day hold was an interim measure, implemented in the wake of the Sept. 11 terrorist attacks. But enhanced interagency data sharing and additional clearance procedures implemented since then obviated the need for continuing the interim measure, according to the State Department. The cable also notes that the State Department is reviewing and evaluating security-related clearance procedures, generally believed to be CIA checks. The cable also recognizes that the security measures have increased consular posts' workloads. The measures have also contributed to substantial delays in nonimmigrant visa processing and are the number one complaint of our clients who seek to visit relatives in the United States or enter the United States to conduct business.

Last edited by jcapulet; Nov 20th 2002 at 6:13 am.