Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

Hi, and one of Lifes many curve balls!

Wikiposts

Hi, and one of Lifes many curve balls!

Old Jun 15th 2010, 9:57 am
Just Joined

Tibbsey23 is just really niceTibbsey23 is just really niceTibbsey23 is just really niceTibbsey23 is just really niceTibbsey23 is just really niceTibbsey23 is just really niceTibbsey23 is just really niceTibbsey23 is just really nice
Question Hi, and one of Lifes many curve balls!

First off - hi all!

I am 26 and English, just over 9 years ago I met an amazing Idahoan lady of the same age. Obviously in that time a lot has happened and eventually we decided we couldn't be apart any more. During those 9 years we both went to university, I came out with a bachelors in electrical and electronic engineering and she came out with one in history and teaching (the US education system confuses me!). As she finished after me I already had a job, which I was pretty comfortable and happy in, and with fairly good expectations of career progression.

Due to this and Britain's apparent need for teachers, it seemed logical that she look for work over here. We soon found ourselves in a chicken and egg scenario whereby immigration would not give her a visa unless she had a job offer and schools wouldn't offer her work unless she had the paperwork in place. Due to her being newly graduated and so not having a decent income etc she did not have enough "points" to get a work visa.

Hence she/we took the difficult decision to be apart longer and she get her masters degree. Since then I have become much more comfortable in my job, my career is looking much more rosy and we decided to get married.

She graduated last month and we married on the 29th. Since then however life has thrown us a big old curve ball - she has been offered a job paying twice as much as mine! Before I was the bread winner, hence the last couple of years... now potentially she will assume that position!

As you can imagine, I am quite reluctant to leave my job - particularly in the current climate. But things right now seem very much tilted towards a full 180 to the USA, with her potential job and for personal reasons too.

I have 2 1/2 years of experience in my current job, most US jobs I have found online want 5 years experience (this was another reason for her to come to the UK for a few years). I am now coming at this almost totally fresh faced as before it didn't seem the logical route. So what are my options and what do I need to do? Everyone has their own story and with so much information on this site it has been difficult to find exactly what to do, also I really appreciate the opinions of those with experience!

Options (as I see them):
1. Does my company (Babcock Nuclear) have any opportunities in the states? If so see if i can hop on the band wagon (If only my life was a movie right?!)
2. Hunt for a job then do whatever is needed to get into it
3. Get in by other means and then hunt for a job
4. Carry on getting valuable experience in my job and either she sacrifices riches for the unknown in the UK, or we stay apart for a few years longer (we REALLY don't want to do that)

I simply don't know what to do, objectively the only thing keeping me here is my job and the ONLY things to bring her here are me and my job security. I think realistically I could earn more over there and we could lead a much better life, but I am just fearful of leaving the thing that has influenced all our decisions over the last few years. Then again if she does get this job (obviously there are no guarantees either way, but I'm sure its not the only one out there for a woman of her skills and ambition) then as I say, she would already be earning more than me and her/our money would go further to start our life proper together.

Any views/help greatly appreciated. Thanks for taking the time to read my waffle!
Old Jun 15th 2010, 10:11 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Hi, and one of Lifes many curve balls!

Hi and Welcome to BE.

Basically you're wanting to immigrate to the USA. The easiest way to do that is to have your USC wife file an I-130 for your Immigrant Visa. The good news is that you will be work authorized from Day 1 in the USA and will also become a US permanent resident (i.e. get your green card) on Day 1 in the USA. Those are huge benefits. The not-so-good news is that it takes about 8 to 10 months for the Immigrant Visa process (from filing I-130 to getting visa in hand), so you'll be spending a bit more time apart for now.

If your company has the ability to transfer you on an L visa, that would also be a good way to go, and probably quicker than the Immigrant Visa. Then once you're in the USA on your L visa, you can adjust your status to permanent resident while remaining in the USA.

Here is the Wiki Guide to the CR-1 Immigrant Visa (spouse of a USC): http://britishexpats.com/wiki/CR-1

Rene

Last edited by Noorah101; Jun 15th 2010 at 10:13 am. Reason: duh...forgot link
Old Jun 15th 2010, 11:10 am
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tibbsey23
... she has been offered a job paying twice as much as mine!
My wife earns 3x what I do. All that's really important, is that you build a life together.

I simply don't know what to do...
I hear wedding bells!

Ian
Old Jun 15th 2010, 11:11 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
I hear wedding bells!

Ian
They've already heard them....

She graduated last month and we married on the 29th.

Rene
Old Jun 15th 2010, 11:14 am
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Noorah101
They've already heard them....
D'Oh! I saw it and glossed right over it. Did someone move my coffee pot?

Ian
Old Jun 15th 2010, 2:06 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond repute

Tibbsey, why are you overlooking the easiest route there is to immigrating to the US? Your wife is a US citizen. She can sponsor you for your visa. There is no reason to sit there and search for employment-based visas, when you pretty much have a guaranteed marriage-based visa (unless you have overstayed the VWP or other visa to the US, or have criminal convictions in your past - and these aren't insurmountable, but would take time and money to overcome).

Read the wiki link Noorah posted.
Old Jun 15th 2010, 3:35 pm

avanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond repute

It sounded to me like you haven't fully decided whether moving to the US is the right way to go. Here's a couple of other things to think about when making this decision. I'm not trying to make the decision harder, just want to make sure you're considering as many angles as possible.

Do either of you own property which might be difficult to sell?
How secure is her job? Is it in an at-risk industry where the last person in might be the first out?
How secure is your job?
What opportunities for advancement might you both be looking at?
What job benefits does she get? What benefits do you get?
How many days of holiday does she get, and how many do you get? Are you willing to start out in a new job with 5 or 10 days a year until you've been there a while?
What's her health insurance plan look like? Remember, in the UK you both are covered on NHS but in the US you have to either get it through an employer or pay for it yourself - and sometimes you still pay for it through the employer.
How important are family ties to you - will not being able to go round to Mum's for Sunday lunch bother you? How important are they to her? Does she live near family now?
Does she live in an area of the US which appeals to you? Does she like your area of the UK?
Old Jun 16th 2010, 2:49 am
Forum Regular

jimandtina2008 will become famous soon enough

Being a newbie to the US myself (having just arrived in Michigan on a fiancee visa last Thursday)........I really can't see what the problem is???? Money and jobs aren't everything (although I know they help). Surely the bottom line in this case isn't (or shouldn't be) a monetary or career one - it's whether or not you REALLY want to live together as husband and wife.

You say you have been apart all this time......yet you have married and still continued to live apart.....simplistic it may be......but what is the problem about just being together?? Unlike many of us on this site (me included) you seem to have no real impediment visa wise for either of you to move to the others abode whether by using the spouse or work-related visas. A situation that I and, as I said previously, many others would glady die for...........so make your minds up, do you WANT to live together as a married couple or not? SIMPLE........

Tina :-)

Last edited by Noorah101; Jun 16th 2010 at 3:46 am. Reason: removed quoted text for ease of reading
Old Jun 18th 2010, 4:33 am
Just Joined

Tibbsey23 is just really niceTibbsey23 is just really niceTibbsey23 is just really niceTibbsey23 is just really niceTibbsey23 is just really niceTibbsey23 is just really niceTibbsey23 is just really niceTibbsey23 is just really nice

Thanks very much for the advice everyone and thanks Avanutria for giving us some things to think about.

Congratulations Tina on making that move! You are quite right, money and jobs aren’t everything, but the truth is that you do need both and in order to get either at a reasonable level you have to work hard for them, and sometimes sacrifice. That is why we are in the position that we are in - we met at 17, both in school - at that time we both managed to get our university paid for through different means, hence the wise choice was to stay apart and reap the benefits of free education. Upon graduating it seemed that the jobs on offer in Idaho that I could see all wanted at least 5 years experience, hence the wise choice seemed to be to get a job here which I did. Visa complications as I mentioned above and funding again meant her getting her masters over there. It’s not you see that we wanted to be apart, far from it, in fact almost everything we have done (especially Mrs. T) in the last 9 years has been to ensure we can start our life together in a good strong position.

Now somewhat ironically all that work has given us as a couple a good opportunity at a good start on the opposite side of the Atlantic than the one we were shooting for. This time I think the smart money is on grabbing this opportunity to start our life over there, the more I think about it and the more people I talk to - the more I realise that this is true. Everyone here appreciates what a massive decision it is to decide to emigrate and I just wanted to get some idea what was involved. The more I think about it the more I feel that I probably had already made the decision; I just wanted persuading that it was the right one!

To the I-130!