Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

Hi from Ohio - here at last!!!

Wikiposts

Hi from Ohio - here at last!!!

Old Dec 21st 2003, 1:21 pm
Forum Regular

davewilliams will become famous soon enoughdavewilliams will become famous soon enough
Default Hi from Ohio - here at last!!!

Well, finally got to come here again. Haven't taken the risk and tried to come in since the original I-130 went off, so it's a year since I was last here.

After the application and interview went so well, I was expecting the entry to be plain sailing, just time consuming. I was wrong.

When I got to the immigration booth the guy was obviously having a bad day and he just snarled at me. He looked at my K-3 visa and told me he was giving me 90 days' admission.

I told him that London had told me it was a 2-year multiple entry visa, and his answer was 'the problem is that the embassies know nothing about immigration. This is a 90-day visa, good for one entry, and that's what I'm putting on the stamp.'

Anyway, I got to speak to a supervisor after a little arguement (the supervisor came over to see what was going on) and the supervisor told me that the stamp could not be changed, and the 90 day limit was on the I-94 stub anyway (not my passport page), but this would be no problem as I had multiple entries and the next one would show the right limit.

Eventually I managed to persuade him that the way forward was to use a new I-94 with the right date, and all ended well, but I really needed to stick to my guns on this one. After all the work getting the visa, I wasn't going to have it wrecked now.

The basic question is whether the agent had the right to override the conditions of the K-3 visa? If so this makes the POE as much of a crapshoot as trying to enter while the processing is in progress.

Anyway, it's great now I'm here, even if it's only for 2 weeks before I can move over permanently in a couple of months.

Dave
Old Dec 21st 2003, 3:45 pm
Sursum corda

cindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Hi from Ohio - here at last!!!

Originally posted by davewilliams
Well, finally got to come here again. Haven't taken the risk and tried to come in since the original I-130 went off, so it's a year since I was last here.

After the application and interview went so well, I was expecting the entry to be plain sailing, just time consuming. I was wrong.

When I got to the immigration booth the guy was obviously having a bad day and he just snarled at me. He looked at my K-3 visa and told me he was giving me 90 days' admission.

I told him that London had told me it was a 2-year multiple entry visa, and his answer was 'the problem is that the embassies know nothing about immigration. This is a 90-day visa, good for one entry, and that's what I'm putting on the stamp.'

Anyway, I got to speak to a supervisor after a little arguement (the supervisor came over to see what was going on) and the supervisor told me that the stamp could not be changed, and the 90 day limit was on the I-94 stub anyway (not my passport page), but this would be no problem as I had multiple entries and the next one would show the right limit.

Eventually I managed to persuade him that the way forward was to use a new I-94 with the right date, and all ended well, but I really needed to stick to my guns on this one. After all the work getting the visa, I wasn't going to have it wrecked now.

The basic question is whether the agent had the right to override the conditions of the K-3 visa? If so this makes the POE as much of a crapshoot as trying to enter while the processing is in progress.

Anyway, it's great now I'm here, even if it's only for 2 weeks before I can move over permanently in a couple of months.

Dave

Obviously the guy at the POE thinks a K3 is the same as the K1 since what he said would indeed be correct for the K1. We had a bit of a fright when my husband realized that they had dated his K3 when he went through Newark to expire June 3, 2003 NOT June 3, 2005. Overide or not, misdated or whatever attention to detail is something lacking.
As to what he thinks that the Consulates do or do not know about immigration, the same places are the ones that issue the visas for heaven's sake.
Jeesh!!

Anyway, welcome to the US Dave-have a good holiday!
Old Dec 21st 2003, 10:09 pm
C.G.D.S

sibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond repute

Nothing's ever easy it is Dave! I've found Immigration officers at POE are spilt into two distinct camps. Really nice, or really not very nice at all. Sorry you got the latter, but congrats on finally making it.
Old Dec 22nd 2003, 7:33 am
WTF?

Leslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond repute

Yikes Cindy!! How did you overcome that? This whole thread is pretty scary. What if Dave hadn't been able to get them to correct it there? How could he have fixed it?

Leslie

Originally posted by cindyabs
Obviously the guy at the POE thinks a K3 is the same as the K1 since what he said would indeed be correct for the K1. We had a bit of a fright when my husband realized that they had dated his K3 when he went through Newark to expire June 3, 2003 NOT June 3, 2005. Overide or not, misdated or whatever attention to detail is something lacking.
As to what he thinks that the Consulates do or do not know about immigration, the same places are the ones that issue the visas for heaven's sake.
Jeesh!!

Anyway, welcome to the US Dave-have a good holiday!
Old Dec 22nd 2003, 9:39 am
Sursum corda

cindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Leslie66
Yikes Cindy!! How did you overcome that? This whole thread is pretty scary. What if Dave hadn't been able to get them to correct it there? How could he have fixed it?

Leslie

My husband got his corrected by hand. What saves us is that there is no way that my husband could have had a K3 that expires June 3, 2003 since the K3 visas weren't even in play until August 2001..............
Old Dec 22nd 2003, 9:45 am
WTF?

Leslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond repute

My husband got his corrected by hand. What saves us is that there is no way that my husband could have had a K3 that expires June 3, 2003 since the K3 visas weren't even in play until August 2001..............

Where did he take it to have it corrected?
Old Dec 22nd 2003, 9:47 am
Sursum corda

Originally posted by Leslie66
Where did he take it to have it corrected?
Right there at the POE in Newark.
Old Dec 22nd 2003, 9:52 am
SUPER CRUNCHY BALCONY COW

Hypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by davewilliams

Dave

Hey CONGRATS!!!! woooooohhhhhh !!!

I am sorry the POE officer was rude
MERRY CHRISTMAS!!
Old Dec 22nd 2003, 9:52 am
SUPER CRUNCHY BALCONY COW

Hypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond repute

Right there at the POE in Newark.
What if you dont notice??
Old Dec 22nd 2003, 2:05 pm
Overworked and exhausted

Hebapotamus42 has much to be proud ofHebapotamus42 has much to be proud ofHebapotamus42 has much to be proud ofHebapotamus42 has much to be proud ofHebapotamus42 has much to be proud ofHebapotamus42 has much to be proud ofHebapotamus42 has much to be proud ofHebapotamus42 has much to be proud ofHebapotamus42 has much to be proud ofHebapotamus42 has much to be proud ofHebapotamus42 has much to be proud of

Dave, sorry about the rude welcome at POE, but hey, WELCOME BACK & CONGRATS on finally making it.
Old Dec 22nd 2003, 3:18 pm
Sursum corda

Originally posted by Hypertweeky
What if you dont notice??

Well exactly....but it just underscores the need to check and recheck all of those ducks are in a row for however long it takes
Old Dec 22nd 2003, 9:56 pm
BE Forum Addict

dutchman2001nl has a reputation beyond reputedutchman2001nl has a reputation beyond reputedutchman2001nl has a reputation beyond reputedutchman2001nl has a reputation beyond reputedutchman2001nl has a reputation beyond reputedutchman2001nl has a reputation beyond reputedutchman2001nl has a reputation beyond reputedutchman2001nl has a reputation beyond reputedutchman2001nl has a reputation beyond reputedutchman2001nl has a reputation beyond reputedutchman2001nl has a reputation beyond repute

Congrats !!
Old Dec 23rd 2003, 2:20 am
BE Enthusiast

Pallyn has a spectacular aura aboutPallyn has a spectacular aura aboutPallyn has a spectacular aura about

Congratulations!
My husband was run through a mini-interview at POE when entering on a K-1, questions similar to his consular interview like how did we meet, where did I work, where he was going to be living. My impression is that yes, they can deny entry despite the visa.