Wikiposts

Hi everyone

Old Jul 16th 2007, 9:43 pm
Just Joined

tw1nkle_twinkle will become famous soon enoughtw1nkle_twinkle will become famous soon enough
Default Hi everyone

Hi everyone. I'm new here. Joined last week but never got around to saying much. Well I haven't gotten out to the States yet to live...but AM trying. My fiance is a U.S citizen and I was hoping to get out there in the new year..but the court wouldn't let me. It's so much harder when you have kids. I am planning to reapply in the new year and hope that the next application works. My fiance currently works in the Middle east but he is going to return to the States next year, probably the summer now that I can't get out there as hoped. It's so hard having to live like this with us so far apart and only getting to spend around 6 weeks a year together....something's gotta give soon so things get better...or at least I hope. I was reading other posts about people being homesick and I find it hard to imagine that I could feel that way...to me the house in the States feels way more like home that where I live now. But that's just me. Course I know there's things I'll miss about here...like some of the shops...and the biscuits and ENGLISH mustard oh and my PG tips tea bags lol but I can deal with it, and since I've been a bit of a gyspy (living in other countries before) I can cope with missing my Mom and family too. Anyways...that's enough about me....I'm hoping to make some new friends...and hopefully some in Idaho.
Old Jul 16th 2007, 11:35 pm
Unmitigated Gall

another bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Hi everyone

Hello and welcome! I hope your situation gets better. I do feel it's my duty to tell you that you will likely be the only Brit in the entire state of Idaho!
Old Jul 16th 2007, 11:56 pm
Just Joined

tw1nkle_twinkle will become famous soon enoughtw1nkle_twinkle will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by another bloody yank
Hello and welcome! I hope your situation gets better. I do feel it's my duty to tell you that you will likely be the only Brit in the entire state of Idaho!
Thanks!! I was just out there in Idaho in May/June and because there's an airbase nearby there's fellow Brits working on it One day we took my daughter to one of the local parks and this little girl..no more than around 3 years old came running over to play with my daughter's toys...closely followed by her Mom...who told her to leave them alone...in a British accent. I was pleasantly surprised... I am sure I'll feel better once I actually get the go ahead to move there....instead of just 'visiting'. But I love it there...the outdoors life is great, and I love small towns and that 'community' feel. I just don't feel that here, and I think the American people are way more polite and friendly than most Brits ( no disrespect to y'all on here)
Old Jul 17th 2007, 12:03 am
Unmitigated Gall

another bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tw1nkle_twinkle
Thanks!! I was just out there in Idaho in May/June and because there's an airbase nearby there's fellow Brits working on it One day we took my daughter to one of the local parks and this little girl..no more than around 3 years old came running over to play with my daughter's toys...closely followed by her Mom...who told her to leave them alone...in a British accent. I was pleasantly surprised... I am sure I'll feel better once I actually get the go ahead to move there....instead of just 'visiting'. But I love it there...the outdoors life is great, and I love small towns and that 'community' feel. I just don't feel that here, and I think the American people are way more polite and friendly than most Brits ( no disrespect to y'all on here)

I stand corrected! And if you like small towns and the outdoors (as I do) you're heading to the right place! Good luck!
Old Jul 17th 2007, 12:05 am
an mhaith leat cupán tae?

Tea Pot is a glorious beacon of lightTea Pot is a glorious beacon of lightTea Pot is a glorious beacon of lightTea Pot is a glorious beacon of lightTea Pot is a glorious beacon of lightTea Pot is a glorious beacon of lightTea Pot is a glorious beacon of lightTea Pot is a glorious beacon of lightTea Pot is a glorious beacon of lightTea Pot is a glorious beacon of lightTea Pot is a glorious beacon of light

Hi everyone. I'm new here. Joined last week but never got around to saying much. Well I haven't gotten out to the States yet to live...but AM trying. My fiance is a U.S citizen and I was hoping to get out there in the new year..but the court wouldn't let me. It's so much harder when you have kids. I am planning to reapply in the new year and hope that the next application works. My fiance currently works in the Middle east but he is going to return to the States next year, probably the summer now that I can't get out there as hoped. It's so hard having to live like this with us so far apart and only getting to spend around 6 weeks a year together....something's gotta give soon so things get better...or at least I hope. I was reading other posts about people being homesick and I find it hard to imagine that I could feel that way...to me the house in the States feels way more like home that where I live now. But that's just me. Course I know there's things I'll miss about here...like some of the shops...and the biscuits and ENGLISH mustard oh and my PG tips tea bags lol but I can deal with it, and since I've been a bit of a gyspy (living in other countries before) I can cope with missing my Mom and family too. Anyways...that's enough about me....I'm hoping to make some new friends...and hopefully some in Idaho.
Hi Twinkle,

A big welcome from a fellow newbie.

Did you mention PG Tips?

Tea Pot
Old Jul 17th 2007, 12:10 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Tea Pot
Hi Twinkle,

A big welcome from a fellow newbie.

Did you mention PG Tips?

Tea Pot

Thanks!! And yes I did...I always take a box with me when visiting the States I remember in Florida a few years ago the hotel staff saying that they had heard of 'US Brits and our tea' and to 'Anotherbloodyyank' yep I love the outdoors...can't wait to get into the mountains and breathe in all that clean air. Never been a fan of big towns...can visit to say I've been there..done it...but they're not for me.
Old Jul 17th 2007, 12:14 am
Re vera, potas bene.

krizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond repute

Its not that bad being the only Brit in an area for a while....I never knew how much I missed Brit company until I got a place in FL...

You also forget to miss English things over time...and replace them with American things...apart from curry that is...and gravy....
Old Jul 17th 2007, 12:22 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by krizzy
Its not that bad being the only Brit in an area for a while....I never knew how much I missed Brit company until I got a place in FL...

You also forget to miss English things over time...and replace them with American things...apart from curry that is...and gravy....
I know that the Americans love our accent...even if they do have trouble understanding it at first My Mother-In-Law to be told me that and I don't have a problem with being the only Brit on my block That's one thing I will miss... Bisto gravy granules...I'll be filling my case each trip back from here with it. and I love a good Indian. One thing that will be strange is that only takeaway food that you can get delivered is Pizza...where here we get Indian, Chinese, Pizza..etc etc..But I can cope with it all. I think life is what you make it...and I intend to adapt and make the most of it....life's all about risks and if you don't take them you never know.
Old Jul 17th 2007, 12:51 am

special ed is a name known to allspecial ed is a name known to allspecial ed is a name known to allspecial ed is a name known to allspecial ed is a name known to allspecial ed is a name known to allspecial ed is a name known to allspecial ed is a name known to allspecial ed is a name known to allspecial ed is a name known to allspecial ed is a name known to all

Welcome! I sympathise with your plight - it took me quite a while to get my fiance's visa before I was able to move out to the US and get married
Old Jul 17th 2007, 1:02 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by special ed
Welcome! I sympathise with your plight - it took me quite a while to get my fiance's visa before I was able to move out to the US and get married
Yes I have heard that they can take quite a bit of time. I did read that you could get a visa quicker if you were married and applied for a K3...but that is where I'd have problems since I am worried that if I am married BEFORE I get to go to the States my 'husband' even though he wouldn't be resident here (he'd wait in the States for me) would have to pay my rent and all my bills here, since I am not working right now and that would mean he'd be working for nothing ...since the $ is so weak against the pound. (no pound sign on my computer) I feel as if I'm in a NO win situation. Right now I could cope with the visa wait...if only my next application to relocate is successful....at least knowing that I don't have to go through it all again would be something. The laws here and the courts suck. Everything that involves kids is that much harder. So how long did it take to get your visa? And which visa were you advised to go on?
Old Jul 17th 2007, 1:12 am

special ed is a name known to allspecial ed is a name known to allspecial ed is a name known to allspecial ed is a name known to allspecial ed is a name known to allspecial ed is a name known to allspecial ed is a name known to allspecial ed is a name known to allspecial ed is a name known to allspecial ed is a name known to allspecial ed is a name known to all

Yes I have heard that they can take quite a bit of time. I did read that you could get a visa quicker if you were married and applied for a K3...but that is where I'd have problems since I am worried that if I am married BEFORE I get to go to the States my 'husband' even though he wouldn't be resident here (he'd wait in the States for me) would have to pay my rent and all my bills here, since I am not working right now and that would mean he'd be working for nothing ...since the $ is so weak against the pound. (no pound sign on my computer) I feel as if I'm in a NO win situation. Right now I could cope with the visa wait...if only my next application to relocate is successful....at least knowing that I don't have to go through it all again would be something. The laws here and the courts suck. Everything that involves kids is that much harder. So how long did it take to get your visa? And which visa were you advised to go on?
Did you apply for a K1? How come you were turned down? Was it because he's not currently living in the US?
Old Jul 17th 2007, 1:16 am
Just Joined

Did you apply for a K1? How come you were turned down? Was it because he's not currently living in the US?
NO we haven't applied for ANY visas yet...can't until the courts here give me leave to take my daughter with me. I feel like I live in 'limbo' right now...can't plan on anything because I have someone else making decisions for me. As soon as we get the go ahead from the courts (which won't be till maybe next summer now) IF we get it..then we'll have to apply for a visa for me and my daughter and wait ....and wait. My fiance will be back in the US by next summer so we shouldn't have a problem with any visas.
Old Jul 17th 2007, 1:22 am

NO we haven't applied for ANY visas yet...can't until the courts here give me leave to take my daughter with me. I feel like I live in 'limbo' right now...can't plan on anything because I have someone else making decisions for me. As soon as we get the go ahead from the courts (which won't be till maybe next summer now) IF we get it..then we'll have to apply for a visa for me and my daughter and wait ....and wait. My fiance will be back in the US by next summer so we shouldn't have a problem with any visas.
Oh right I see. Don't have any kids so that probably made things a little more straightforward for me.

good luck, hope things work out for you
Old Jul 17th 2007, 1:26 am
Just Joined

Oh right I see. Don't have any kids so that probably made things a little more straightforward for me.

good luck, hope things work out for you
Yep...situations where kids are involved are always fraught with more problems than necessary. So how have you found living in the States? How long have you been out there?
Old Jul 17th 2007, 1:32 am

Yep...situations where kids are involved are always fraught with more problems than necessary. So how have you found living in the States? How long have you been out there?
Its a little over three years since I got my K1 visa. I think I adjusted to living out here quicker than I expected. The only real difficulty I've had has been getting my english university credentials recognized which meant I couldn't initially work as teacher when I first got my work permit although that situation is now rectified. If you are planning on working in education or even going back to university in the US start researching this now as it can get a bit complicated!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.