Wikiposts

Helping a Friend

Old Jan 31st 2004, 7:05 am
BE Enthusiast

Susanna is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Helping a Friend

A lady at my local Gas Station has asked me as she knows I am British Married to and American if, her neice who is in the UK can marry her British boyfriend?

"Well of course "I said but...... I know they can K1 and K3 is it the same senario as the US if they marry and she applies for AOS whilst there?
Yes I explained pre planed is not good and could have bad consequences I went threw all that.

Can she stay in the UK and applie for aos once married please?
Old Jan 31st 2004, 7:07 am
BE Enthusiast

whistlestop01 has a spectacular aura aboutwhistlestop01 has a spectacular aura aboutwhistlestop01 has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Helping a Friend

Originally posted by Susanna
A lady at my local Gas Station has asked me as she knows I am British Married to and American if, her neice who is in the UK can marry her British boyfriend?

"Well of course "I said but...... I know they can K1 and K3 is it the same senario as the US if they marry and she applies for AOS whilst there?
Yes I explained pre planed is not good and could have bad consequences I went threw all that.

I can't help you sorry but is there a UK immigration forum that can help????? I haven't checked.
Old Jan 31st 2004, 7:13 am
BE Enthusiast

207lonsdale is on a distinguished road

According to one web site the UK closed this loophole last year.

www.americanexpats.co.uk

Last edited by 207lonsdale; Jan 31st 2004 at 7:15 am.
Old Jan 31st 2004, 7:37 am
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Yes and no. If the USC had UK right to remain in the UK then they could direct consular file for her adjustment there.

If the USC does not, then no. She and he marry. She remains in the UK and he applies in the US for her K-3. In six months or so, she will interview at the US Consulate and if approved comes to the US with a K-3 and then when the I-130 is approved applies for adjustment of status.

Rete
Old Jan 31st 2004, 7:45 am
BE Enthusiast

Thankyou thats interesting will let her know.
A bit surprised that not the same as the US.
susanna
Old Jan 31st 2004, 8:03 am
BE Enthusiast

anyone4tea is just really niceanyone4tea is just really niceanyone4tea is just really niceanyone4tea is just really niceanyone4tea is just really niceanyone4tea is just really niceanyone4tea is just really niceanyone4tea is just really nice

Thankyou thats interesting will let her know.
A bit surprised that not the same as the US.
susanna
It's amazingly lucky that it's not the same as in the US.

For a UK fiance visa, she must apply in the US BEFORE she marries in the UK. People generally receive the VISA if they apply by mail between 5-21 days (notice days, not months). Applying in person, generally the visa is issued the *same day*.

To adjust status, again if you go in person to the centre in England (after marrying), you generally get the spousal visa the *same day*.

The USCIS has much to learn from us Brits...

Kath

Last edited by anyone4tea; Jan 31st 2004 at 8:06 am.
Old Jan 31st 2004, 8:25 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally posted by anyone4tea

For a UK fiance visa, she must apply in the US BEFORE she marries in the UK. People generally receive the VISA if they apply by mail between 5-21 days (notice days, not months). Applying in person, generally the visa is issued the *same day*.

To adjust status, again if you go in person to the centre in England (after marrying), you generally get the spousal visa the *same day*.

Kath
Woooooow Kath
Thats amazing I never knew that ,pleased I asked.
My God the US needs to get its act together.
Old Jan 31st 2004, 2:16 pm
BE Enthusiast

My God the US needs to get its act together.

With respect to immigration, I totally agree!
Old Jan 31st 2004, 2:20 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally posted by Rete
Yes and no. If the USC had UK right to remain in the UK then they could direct consular file for her adjustment there.

If the USC does not, then no. She and he marry. She remains in the UK and he applies in the US for her K-3. In six months or so, she will interview at the US Consulate and if approved comes to the US with a K-3 and then when the I-130 is approved applies for adjustment of status.

Rete

Have I mis-understood the question, I thought the couple wanted to stay in the UK?
Old Jan 31st 2004, 2:49 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by 207lonsdale
Have I mis-understood the question, I thought the couple wanted to stay in the UK?

No ;-) I did!
Old Feb 1st 2004, 6:44 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally posted by Rete
No ;-) I did!

yes they do wish to marry and live in the UK.
Old Feb 1st 2004, 7:08 am
SUPER CRUNCHY BALCONY COW

Hypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by anyone4tea

Kath
The UK doesnt get as many immigrants as the US though
Old Feb 1st 2004, 10:36 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally posted by Hypertweeky
The UK doesnt get as many immigrants as the US though
But the UK is tiny in comparison to the US.

The US has a population of approx 290 million with approx 1 million immigrants each year, whilst the UK has a populaton of approx 60 million with approx 200,000 immigrants each year.

I read somewhere that in addition to the above 100,000 illegal immigrants enter the UK each year, whilst the US has 300,000 each year.

If these figures are correct, then it would seem that the UK has a bigger problem than the US when all immigrants are taken into account. Perhaps someone else has more accurate figures?

Old Feb 1st 2004, 10:51 am
Howling at the Moon

lairdside will become famous soon enoughlairdside will become famous soon enough

Originally posted by 207lonsdale
But the UK is tiny in comparison to the US.

The US has a population of approx 290 million with approx 1 million immigrants each year, whilst the UK has a populaton of approx 60 million with approx 200,000 immigrants each year.

I read somewhere that in addition to the above 100,000 illegal immigrants enter the UK each year, whilst the US has 300,000 each year.

If these figures are correct, then it would seem that the UK has a bigger problem than the US when all immigrants are taken into account. Perhaps someone else has more accurate figures?

I pulled all these figures sometime last year for roughly a 4/5 year period from US and UK govenment sources. I'd have to dig them out again to present them accurately now but those appear to be in the right ball park from my memory.

The asylee/refugee figures are also interesting. The UK has in each of the last several years taken more refugees/asylees than the whole of the US and the approval rates on applications run at 60/70% in the UK compared with roughly 30% in the US.

My figures are not exact but I'm reasonably confident that they are roughly correct from memory.