Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

Help - We filed for Fiance visa but now we want to marry in Phil - What do we do now?

Wikiposts

Help - We filed for Fiance visa but now we want to marry in Phil - What do we do now?

Old Dec 19th 2006, 12:53 pm
Jim

Default Help - We filed for Fiance visa but now we want to marry in Phil - What do we do now?

I just filed the I-129F last month to bring her over on fiance visa.
But we have decided to get a civil wedding in Phil first. Can I just
change the application?
Jim

Old Dec 19th 2006, 1:09 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Help - We filed for Fiance visa but now we want to marry in Phil - What do we do now?

Originally Posted by Jim
change the application?
Jim
Hi Jim,

No. After you get married in the Phil and return to the USA, you need to complete a new set of paperwork...the I-130 and supporting docs. Let USCIS know that you have an I-129F in the works for fiance visa which is no longer valid because you are now married.

Best Wishes,
Rene
Old Dec 19th 2006, 1:13 pm
BE Enthusiast

hcj1440 has a reputation beyond reputehcj1440 has a reputation beyond reputehcj1440 has a reputation beyond reputehcj1440 has a reputation beyond reputehcj1440 has a reputation beyond reputehcj1440 has a reputation beyond reputehcj1440 has a reputation beyond reputehcj1440 has a reputation beyond reputehcj1440 has a reputation beyond reputehcj1440 has a reputation beyond reputehcj1440 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Help - We filed for Fiance visa but now we want to marry in Phil - What do we do

Originally Posted by Jim
change the application?
Jim
Why would you want to do that? Makes everything so much more complicated.
Old Dec 19th 2006, 1:47 pm
David L. Beem

Default Re: Help - We filed for Fiance visa but now we want to marry in Phil - What do we do now?

Hi Jim,
    >I just filed the I-129F last month to bring her over on fiance
    > visa. But we have decided to get a civil wedding in Phil first.
    > Can I just change the application?
No. The I-129F was filed for a K-1 visa. Now you need to submit an
I-130, and possibly follow it up with another I-129F (once you get the
receipt for the I-130) if you want a K-3 (and K-4s for any of her minor
children) visa. But the I-130s appear to be processing just as quickly as
I-129Fs.
David
[email protected]

P.S. I did the same thing...

Old Dec 20th 2006, 12:08 am
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jim
I just filed the I-129F last month to bring her over on fiance visa. But we have decided to get a civil wedding in Phil first.
As others have mentioned, if you get married in the Phillipines, the I-129F that you filed becomes immediately invalid. Once you're married, you'll need a whole new set of paperwork to apply for her as the spouse of a US citizen. What hasn't yet been mentioned, is that while this paperwork is being processed, she can *not* move to the US to live with you. She can visit *if* she can get a visa and she *must* leave by the expiration date of the visa. If you decide to marry in the PI, be prepared to be apart for a year or more before she gets a spousal visa.

Ian
Old Dec 20th 2006, 12:31 pm
Jim

> As others have mentioned, if you get married in the Phillipines, the I-
    > 129F that you filed becomes immediately invalid. Once you're married,
    > you'll need a whole new set of paperwork to apply for her as the spouse
    > of a US citizen. What hasn't yet been mentioned, is that while this
    > paperwork is being processed, she can *not* move to the US to live with
    > you. She can visit *if* she can get a visa and she *must* leave by the
    > expiration date of the visa. If you decide to marry in the PI, be
    > prepared to be apart for a year or more before she gets a spousal visa.
    > Ian

OK thanks everyone.
Are you sure the spousal visa takes that long? I heard it was about the
same as fiance visa. On ths USCIS website it list the same date under
"processing dates" for both spousal and fiance visa.

Jim

Old Dec 20th 2006, 1:39 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jim
OK thanks everyone.
Are you sure the spousal visa takes that long? I heard it was about the
same as fiance visa. On ths USCIS website it list the same date under
"processing dates" for both spousal and fiance visa.

Jim
The USCIS website only shows the processing time for the petition to get approved. You are right, that is probably about the same for either a spouse or a fiancee. However, after the petition is approved in the USA, there is more paperwork to be done by the alien wishing to immigrate, and then there is a visa interview. This is the portion that can take a long time, and in fact PI is one of the slowest that I know of in this regard. I would say a year or more is true for the PI. They are also one of the most picky, so make sure everything is in extra good order, with no mistakes.

Best Wishes,
Rene
Old Dec 20th 2006, 4:13 pm
Nilda

try to search for this FORUM you might find some info from this site.... http://www.pinoyinfo.net/forum/

Goodluck!.

---
posted via:
http://www.visaforyou.org/eng/