Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

HELP!!! unwittingly illegal for 2years!

Wikiposts

HELP!!! unwittingly illegal for 2years!

Old Dec 2nd 2004, 12:04 am
BE Forum Addict

HunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: HELP!!! unwittingly illegal for 2years!

Originally Posted by badlydoneto
her natural father is in the UK as is the rest of her large family on my side...she just hasn't lived there for many years (we worked for years in the gulf, new zealand and asia) or even visited.
Apparently that matters more to you than to your daughter. She has her own choices to make, and you said before that she wants to stay in the US.

Re. that, please read the advice you've been given by Folinskyinla in the marriage based forum.

Elaine
Old Dec 2nd 2004, 3:00 pm
Just Joined

badlydoneto is an unknown quantity at this point

She has told my mother in the UK that she wants to come back to the UK yet she tells me she doesn't. If she does want this, hard as it is, I would bid her adieu for the present and plan to join her and the rest of my family in the UK as soon asI could. I could happily wave goodbye to this place as soon as possible. My predicament is she actually wants to be here so I am devastated because of her needs...not my own.
Old Dec 2nd 2004, 4:37 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by badlydoneto
her natural father is in the UK as is the rest of her large family on my side...she just hasn't lived there for many years (we worked for years in the gulf, new zealand and asia) or even visited.
Sorry I did not get my point over.

Mr F suggested in the other post that there may be a case for some of the overstay to be forgiven on the basis of a non frivelous status adjustment.

It sounds like even if this was the case there would be some overstay issue.

I am assuming the only way to clarify the overstay issue would be to apply for a Visa as the system will show a major overstay should they try and use the VWP.

So you go for a B2 at the US Embassy in London with a record of:

an overstay
a change of status application demonstrating immigrant intent
family connection in USA

and without

strong ties, job, property, etc in the UK.

I just do no think it likely that you would get a Visa, there have been postings here where people with much stronger UK ties have been unsuccesful.

And of course that is before you try and get past the officer at immigration.