Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

HELP PLEASE... waiver to meet...

Wikiposts

HELP PLEASE... waiver to meet...

Old Mar 10th 2004, 3:11 am
Just Joined

kvngwynth is an unknown quantity at this point
Default HELP PLEASE... waiver to meet...

Hi ya all, my fiance and I are working on the waiver to meet from the athorney general. Our case is already at the INS now, but we have not received the first NOA yet. You see I am from Indonesia (not Bali okay? heehee it seems most the world only knows Bali from Indonesia) and we are concerned about his safety if he needed to come here with all the threats and riots here and we know that we are madly in love with each other without even needing to meet first. We are both geeky types of persons so we make use of the technology that is available now, like telephone lines and the internet. We just believe that if we are soulmates that we would simply click when we were together so that traveling to meet each other beforehands (because I would have to better travel out of this country first too) would just be a waste of money that we could use more wisely when we were together already. We both are not rich people. We do miss each other like crazy and of course we would like to meet but we know the situation and condition is not allowing us to do so either. The problem is that there is almost no information about this subject at all on the net Does anyone know some more about this waiver, or maybe have tried it and succeded or failed getting it, if so for what reason and how long it took to find out? Please help with some feedback and information.
Thank you, sincerely, Gwyneth.
Old Mar 10th 2004, 4:30 am
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: HELP PLEASE... waiver to meet...

Originally posted by kvngwynth
Hi ya all, my fiance and I are working on the waiver to meet from the athorney general. Our case is already at the INS now, but we have not received the first NOA yet. You see I am from Indonesia (not Bali okay? heehee it seems most the world only knows Bali from Indonesia) and we are concerned about his safety if he needed to come here with all the threats and riots here and we know that we are madly in love with each other without even needing to meet first. We are both geeky types of persons so we make use of the technology that is available now, like telephone lines and the internet. We just believe that if we are soulmates that we would simply click when we were together so that traveling to meet each other beforehands (because I would have to better travel out of this country first too) would just be a waste of money that we could use more wisely when we were together already. We both are not rich people. We do miss each other like crazy and of course we would like to meet but we know the situation and condition is not allowing us to do so either. The problem is that there is almost no information about this subject at all on the net Does anyone know some more about this waiver, or maybe have tried it and succeded or failed getting it, if so for what reason and how long it took to find out? Please help with some feedback and information.
Without needing to meet....your both madly in love...You are both Loopy IMHO
Old Mar 10th 2004, 4:36 am
Forum Regular

nkem4ever is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi ya all, my fiance and I are working on the waiver to meet from the athorney general. Our case is already at the INS now, but we have not received the first NOA yet. You see I am from Indonesia (not Bali okay? heehee it seems most the world only knows Bali from Indonesia) and we are concerned about his safety if he needed to come here with all the threats and riots here and we know that we are madly in love with each other without even needing to meet first. We are both geeky types of persons so we make use of the technology that is available now, like telephone lines and the internet. We just believe that if we are soulmates that we would simply click when we were together so that traveling to meet each other beforehands (because I would have to better travel out of this country first too) would just be a waste of money that we could use more wisely when we were together already. We both are not rich people. We do miss each other like crazy and of course we would like to meet but we know the situation and condition is not allowing us to do so either. The problem is that there is almost no information about this subject at all on the net Does anyone know some more about thiwaiver, or maybe have tried it and succeded or failed getting it, if so for what reason and how long it took to find out? Please help with some feedback and information.

I haven't tried this but if you are trying to use a K1 visa to enter the US to marry then one of the requrements is that you have to meet within the past 2yrs. However, from what I understand they will waive if for religion or customary reasons. Like some arragned marriages one doesn't meet his/her fiancce until the week or few days b4 the marriage. in which case the requirement is waived, but i dont know how one would go about proving this to the INS.
You can go to the FAQ page at visajourney.com to see exactly what the protocol is. I dont think that 'danger in my country' is on the list or is considered an option of waiver.

sorry couln't be of mre assistance
Old Mar 10th 2004, 4:58 am
Scott and Nanette

ScottHenshaw is an unknown quantity at this point

From what I understand:

The waiver is for situations where traditions or relgion prevents from meeting, like in the case of Farhan and his fiancee in Pakistan where the marriage was pre-aranged per their families long standing traditon and religion. (Farhan sorry if I got that wrong).

If your, "Online Fiancee or partner" has already submited the I-129f, more than likely you will recieve an RFE asking for more evidence of meeting. The service centers are pretty backed up and thsi may be a long wait for nothing, as being that you wont be able to provide proof of meeting the petition, (I-129f) will be denied.

If you feel that it is unsafe for him to travel to your country, then meet somewhere else. Hong Kong is nice and not that far from you. You should do this shortly after cancleing your I-129f, so that you can re-apply after you have met the requirements. It may not be what you want to hear, but it is the bottom line.

In the eyes of the USCIS, and probably many people in this forum, you do not have a bonified finacee realtionship unitl you have at least met in person.

Scott
Old Mar 10th 2004, 5:22 am
I'm back!

Just Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond repute

You have made it pretty clear that you have chosen not to meet in person because you don't think it's necessary for your relationship. You have made no mention of a religious prohibition to meeting beforehand, nor of an arranged marriage. You feel that the phone calls, chatting and webcams are sufficient. Additionally, you've admitted that meeting in person would be a waste of money better spent on other things.

Unfortunately this is not sufficient for USCIS. You must have been together in person at least once in the last two years before filing the I-129F. So already you have wasted money on filing an application that will be rejected because you did not fulfill all the requirements.

I suggest that you cancel the I-129F petition and make arrangements to meet in person. If it is too dangerous for your fiance to come to Indonesia, then you can always meet somewhere else, in another country where it is safer. You will need to supply evidence that this meeting has taken place, such as photographs of you together, hotel receipts, boarding passes, etc.

In my opinion, it is obvious that you are simply looking for a way around this requirement, no matter what it takes. If your religion forbade meeting in person, or if this was an arranged marriage which prevents you from meeting, then you would've said so in your original post. But you didn't. You don't want to meet because of the expense, and because you don't think it's important. So using either one of those excuses (religion or arranged marriage) to try to obtain an exemption from this requirement would be presenting false evidence.

As you will find, many people on this NG met their loves online, myself included. So given that I have been in your shoes, please believe me when I say it is absolutely necessary to meet each other in person first. It is actually one of the requirements USCIS has that I truly believe is extremely important, no matter how expensive or inconvenient it might be to fulfill. I know from personal experience (not with Mark, but with someone else) that the person you know online can be very different from the person you meet face-to-face.

~ Jenney
Old Mar 10th 2004, 6:20 am
Valley of the Sun

souls canuck is a splendid one to beholdsouls canuck is a splendid one to beholdsouls canuck is a splendid one to beholdsouls canuck is a splendid one to beholdsouls canuck is a splendid one to beholdsouls canuck is a splendid one to beholdsouls canuck is a splendid one to beholdsouls canuck is a splendid one to beholdsouls canuck is a splendid one to beholdsouls canuck is a splendid one to beholdsouls canuck is a splendid one to behold

I'm not going to judge you, because who needs that anyway..

however an investment in your future is not a waste of money..

so get a plane ticket and meet this person you love.. face to face..

gather evidence of this meeting.. and you are on your way..

good luck
Old Mar 10th 2004, 6:35 am

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Please help with some feedback and information.
My biz partner just returned from her annual trip to Bali. Since Bali is acknowledged to be safe and it is reasonably nearby to you, why not meet there? The folks in the tourist industry there will surely appreciate your patronage in these difficult times.

I think Jenney's point about the money you've already spent on an invalid petition is excellent. You will likely spend more than the cost of meeting in person in order to get around that requirement.

What did your lawyer have to say about this and why did he file the petition for you when you have not met the criteria?
Old Mar 10th 2004, 6:35 am
I'm back!

Just Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by souls canuck
I'm not going to judge you, because who needs that anyway..

however an investment in your future is not a waste of money..

so get a plane ticket and meet this person you love.. face to face..

gather evidence of this meeting.. and you are on your way..

good luck
I agree -- but evidence they get from any in-person meeting they do NOW will not be applicable to the I-129F petition they've already submitted. They'll have to cancel their I-129F petition, meet in person, then reapply.

~ Jenney
Old Mar 10th 2004, 7:13 am
Mtravelkay

kvngwynth wrote:

> Hi ya all, my fiance and I are working on the waiver to meet from the
    > athorney general

I am curious about this, since USCIS is not part of the Dept of Justice
anymore, and the AG heads the DOJ. Is this still true, since DOJ doesn't
do immigration anymore.
It would make more sense for the waiver to go through the Dept of
Homeland Security

. Our case is already at the INS now, but we have not
    > received the first NOA yet. You see I am from Indonesia (not Bali okay?
    > heehee it seems most the world only knows Bali from Indonesia) and we
    > are concerned about his safety if he needed to come here with all the
    > threats and riots here and we know that we are madly in love with each
    > other without even needing to meet first.

Why do you have to met in Indonesia? You can travel to another country,
right?

We are both geeky types of
    > persons so we make use of the technology that is available now, like
    > telephone lines and the internet. We just believe that if we are
    > soulmates that we would simply click when we were together so that
    > traveling to meet each other beforehands (because I would have to better
    > travel out of this country first too) would just be a waste of money
    > that we could use more wisely when we were together already.

USCIS isn't going to accept this "waste of money" idea as a valid reason.

We both are
    > not rich people. We do miss each other like crazy and of course we would
    > like to meet but we know the situation and condition is not allowing us
    > to do so either. The problem is that there is almost no information
    > about this subject at all on the net Does anyone know some more about
    > this waiver, or maybe have tried it and succeded or failed getting it,
    > if so for what reason and how long it took to find out? Please help with
    > some feedback and information.

IMHO, you don't have a USCIS defined "hardship".
You don't state any religious/cultural issues about meeting in advance,
and you don't mention any medical conditions preventing travel.

Old Mar 10th 2004, 1:25 pm
Forum Regular

theangells is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi again,

we had similar situation with you, met my beloved one on internet, one of us also from Indo, so we think we can figure out more or less your condition.

First of all, you mentioned about your 'online fiance' safety if he travels to Indo. This certainly won't be a good reason for you to get that "waiver" that you pursue. Many US citizens come to Indo and they are doing just fine, my hubby did that too last year and he will this year, so this is a solid proof that you cannot use "safety" issue to avoid meeting each other before submitting K1.

I don't know what religion or tradition you have, but as far as I know there is no such "pre-arrange marriage" anymore in Indo that prohibit you from meeting your spouse before marriage (correct me if I'm wrong). So technically it would be very difficult for you to use this issue for "waiver"

And like other member of this NG has mentioned, you CAN ALWAYS meet in other country. So my suggestion is: save your money and make plan to meet !

Hope it helps and good luck !