Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

HELP PLEASE - My petition was cabled to Moscow, but Moscow embassy says they don't have it

Wikiposts

HELP PLEASE - My petition was cabled to Moscow, but Moscow embassy says they don't have it

Old Jul 29th 2002, 5:20 am
Robert

Default HELP PLEASE - My petition was cabled to Moscow, but Moscow embassy says they don't have it

Dear group,

I just got an email from Moscow embassy saying that they still do not have my
petition. My automatic message at CSC says that it has been cabled, phoned, or faxed
to the appropriate consulate or port of entry on July 23rd. And today is July 29th. I
called the CSC and spoke to a lady, and was told that, it's true, the petition has
been cabled to Moscow.

What should I do now, please help me.

Robert

Old Jul 29th 2002, 6:21 am
Marc Sil

Default Re: HELP PLEASE - My petition was cabled to Moscow, but Moscow embassy says they don't have it

Robert, I had a similar situation last year with my K-1 petition. The center said
they sent the cable and the Interest Section in Havana said they did not receive it.
After a couple of weeks the VSC sent a second cable. The interest section still did
not react until they got the actual file through diplomatic post.

Old Jul 29th 2002, 6:21 am
Russ

Default Re: HELP PLEASE - My petition was cabled to Moscow, but Moscow embassy says they don't have it

I get a different answer from Califonia every time I contact them. We had a similar
message saying the consulate had been cabled but when my Fiance called Laguna the guy
says it would take 4 MONTHS to reach London. I can only assume they still use the
Pony Express.

"Marc Sil" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
    > Robert, I had a similar situation last year with my K-1 petition. The center said
they
    > sent the cable and the Interest Section in Havana said they did not
receive it.
    > After a couple of weeks the VSC sent a second cable. The interest
section
    > still did not react until they got the actual file through diplomatic
post.

Old Jul 29th 2002, 12:20 pm
Mdudall

> My automatic message at CSC says that it has been cabled, phoned, or faxed to the
    > appropriate consulate or port of entry on July 23rd. And today is July 29th. I
    > called the CSC and spoke to a lady, and was told that, it's true, the petition has
    > been cabled to Moscow.

Even though your approval notice might say they cabled it, even if the recording says
they have cabled it, and even if a low ranking CSC employee who answers the phone
says they cabled it, they still might not have cabled it yet.

The approval notice is a template notice, and it will say its been cabled even if it
has not been cabled yet. The same goes for the automated message system. I take the
language on the notice and on the message system to really mean, "We have sent cable
to the Consulate, or if we have not done that yet, we will do so soon".

The service center directors have always clearly told me (and the other AILA
attorneys that go to the conferences to meet with them) that they can actually take
up to 30 days to do the work of actually sending the cable (but of course, the INS
computer will up date their "canned" message system saying your case was approved,
and print out the template approval notice to get that to you even though they might
not have sent the cable yet. This is a software and hardware limitation, and it's
not perfect).

Geoff V., who was the former Ombudsman of the CSC, conducted my last tour of the CSC.
There was Geoff, the head of division 2, myself and one other attorney. Since Geoff
knows me and knows I submit many fiancée petitions to the CSC (and since it was just
me and another attorney... usually the tours have 50 or more AILA attorneys in
attendance), he geared my tour towards the fiancée visa process and showed me a few
things I had not been shown before on prior tours of the facility.

He took me into a rather large room where they have a special shelf set up for the
placement of approved I-129f petitions (and ONLY I-129f petitions) where "cable is to
be sent". On that shelf there are three places the contract worker can place the case
file. One is labeled, "Moscow", one is labeled, "Warsaw" and one is labeled, "All
other consulates".

So when an INS officer approves your case, that information is fed into the INS
computer at data entry and your approval notice is automatically generated and mailed
to you (off topic, but those notices are stuffed into the envelopes by a machine, and
sometimes the machine malfunctions and more than one notice gets stuffed into an
envelope... thus one poor individual never receives his or her approval notice) and
the automated phone system is also updated by the computer.

Then the "cable" is generated and placed on the top of the particular file (The Cable
is a one-page piece of paper with relevant data about the beneficiary printed on it).
A contract worker then takes that file to the special shelf that I mentioned above.
Once enough of these cases pile up to justify assigning a contract worker to go fax
the cables for that group of cases to their respective consulates, a contract worker
does just that (more efficient use of their staff time to have a worker do a bunch of
them instead of assigning a contract employee to send the cable the moment each and
every case is approved).

So the bottom line is even though your receipt notice and the automated system
might both say they have sent the cable, that does not mean that they really have
sent it yet.

Oh, and unless the person you spoke with at the CSC actually put you on hold for
quite a few minutes for him or her to go find and look at your file, look at the
shelf where cables are waiting to be sent, he or she was just probably seeing that
same "template" information that would be reflected on his or computer screen. All
that person could tell you is what they see on the screen, and as I've stated above
the system might indicate that cable is sent when its really waiting to be sent soon.

Good luck with your case.

Regards, Matthew Udall Attorney http://members.aol.com/MDUdall/fiancee.htm