Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

HELP PLEASE!!!! Divorce papers???

Wikiposts

HELP PLEASE!!!! Divorce papers???

Old Mar 5th 2003, 2:30 am
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by sal_whit
We spoke with the town clerk first and she said she had never seen a Divorce paper like this,So wanted to check it out with the Judge before excepting it!!!!!!!!.. LOL
Go back and tell that lady and the Judge that the Divorce Absolute was good enough for the US Consulate in London to accept for your K-1 Fiancee Visa as you need to prove to them your freedom to marry.

Now is the time for you be creative and firm with those local yokels whose knowledge of the world does not extend pass the county line.

Rete
Old Mar 5th 2003, 2:32 am
BE Enthusiast

sal_whit will become famous soon enoughsal_whit will become famous soon enough

Originally posted by abba48uk
Cor blimey Sal, as if there werent enough problems in this process! Of course your papers are valid and the local bloke is a numbnut......not that this helps much. Why couldnt the Embassy or Consulate send you a letter confirming the form that British divorce decrees take? They need to be reminded from time to time that they are there to help!

I asked them if they could do that?????? They told me we are only guests in this country and cannot tell a Judge or any other law inforcement officer,What he can or cannot do!!!!!
So that was their help,GO TO ANOTHER COUNTY!!!!!!
We are going back to the court house today,I am going to try and explain that I have contacted the Embassy etc.
See if I can change his mind.

Sal
Old Mar 5th 2003, 2:36 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally posted by Rete
Go back and tell that lady and the Judge that the Divorce Absolute was good enough for the US Consulate in London to accept for your K-1 Fiancee Visa as you need to prove to them your freedom to marry.

Now is the time for you be creative and firm with those local yokels whose knowledge of the world does not extend pass the county line.

Rete

ROFL...Well thats the first time I have laughed since yesterday afternoon!!!! local yokels haven't heard that saying in a while...LOL.
Well as I said to abba we are going back today,Just hope I can keep my cool.Don't want them thinking I'm a mad British local yokel...LMAO....

Sal
Old Mar 5th 2003, 2:36 am
BE Enthusiast

abba48uk is an unknown quantity at this point

That response from the Embassy would sent me ballistic. You werent asking them to tell the numbskull what to do, but merely to confirm British divorce procedure and documentation. It just proves that bureaucrats are bureaucrats, no matter who they are working for. As a last resort, in your situation, I would go back to the Embassy, explain politely but firmly EXACTLY what I was asking for, and blow the roof off if it didnt happen. It is a perfectly reasonable request and dont let some jobsworth stand in the way.
Old Mar 5th 2003, 2:38 am
Just around the next bend

dbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond repute

ROFL...Well thats the first time I have laughed since yesterday afternoon!!!! local yokels haven't heard that saying in a while...LOL.
Well as I said to abba we are going back today,Just hope I can keep my cool.Don't want them thinking I'm a mad British local yokel...LMAO....

Sal
Awwwwwwww Sal,

So sorry to hear you are having these problems. Surely the clerk must have seen other countries' divorce papers before.....it is unbelievable that the decree absolute was good enough for the INS but not for the local office. Hmmmmmm .. and I thought getting the K1 visa was the hard part .....

Good luck,

Debbie
Old Mar 5th 2003, 2:42 am
Son 5 & Daughter 2 1/2

Pete F is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: HELP PLEASE!!!! Divorce papers???

Ok we just went to the court house to set a date for our wedding,I was told my Divorce papers were NO good as they are not signed?????? The British Divorce papers has a seal stamp on it but no signature...... The court house is saying we need it signed before we can even think of getting married.
Have any of you,That have already got married and was divorced before had this proplem?????

Sal

Sal.. if you want to pursue this and want further evidence, I am more than happy to scan and send you copies of my divorce papers .. Both of them .. You can then print out if you want..

Pete
Old Mar 5th 2003, 2:46 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally posted by dbark
Awwwwwwww Sal,

So sorry to hear you are having these problems. Surely the clerk must have seen other countries' divorce papers before.....it is unbelievable that the decree absolute was good enough for the INS but not for the local office. Hmmmmmm .. and I thought getting the K1 visa was the hard part .....

Good luck,

Debbie
Unbelievable alright you can imagine the shock I had when I was told.
Now I know it is legal I can go back there and hopefully explain the situation.... Fingers crossed..

Sal
Old Mar 5th 2003, 2:48 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally posted by Pete F
Sal.. if you want to pursue this and want further evidence, I am more than happy to scan and send you copies of my divorce papers .. Both of them .. You can then print out if you want..

Pete

Thank you Pete I'll send you my email addy....
Oh and CONGRATULATIONS by the way!!!!

Sal
Old Mar 5th 2003, 2:57 am
Op

"Rete" wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
    > Now is the time for you be creative and firm with those local yokels
    > whose knowledge of the world does not extend pass the county line.

I can recommend deepest Arkansas, they ain't got no problems with no furrin
papers. Instead be prepared to be treated like an exotic animal and take a
translator (to translate YOU not them). (Really it was a very nice place,
with very nice people, and the lady at the gas station told us that to find
the courthouse just go right along to the last set of lights and turn left.
Ahah. The last set, okie dokie, let's see, how do we know ..?)

I have to admit I would try another county unless it's a big hassle. Always
a good idea to call them first too to see what they think they want.

Old Mar 5th 2003, 3:39 am
BE Enthusiast

robclews is an unknown quantity at this point

Ok we just went to the court house to set a date for our wedding,I was told my Divorce papers were NO good as they are not signed?????? The British Divorce papers has a seal stamp on it but no signature...... The court house is saying we need it signed before we can even think of getting married.
Have any of you,That have already got married and was divorced before had this proplem?????

Sal
Sal,
I went to Baltimore County for our Marriage Licence and didn't even have to show my divorce certificate. UK Absolutes are not signed, they just carry an official stamp for the court district that carried out the divorce.

Rob.

PS. I will post that disc in the next couple of days, found it under some paperwork today.
Old Mar 5th 2003, 3:49 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally posted by robclews
Sal,
I went to Baltimore County for our Marriage Licence and didn't even have to show my divorce certificate. UK Absolutes are not signed, they just carry an official stamp for the court district that carried out the divorce.

Rob.

PS. I will post that disc in the next couple of days, found it under some paperwork today.
Hey Rob

Wondered what happened to the Disc??? LOL
Thanks for that info,At least we know Baltimore is a go..lol
Oh well at this rate we could be getting married in Baltimore,If thats the case we will have to meet up some place!!!

Sal
Old Mar 5th 2003, 3:50 am
BE Enthusiast

simon bland is a jewel in the roughsimon bland is a jewel in the roughsimon bland is a jewel in the roughsimon bland is a jewel in the roughsimon bland is a jewel in the rough

We got married in Florida, my Divorce papers are just like yours sound, with a red court seal at the bottom, had no problem.

I would try again, or try at another local court house

Good Luck
Old Mar 5th 2003, 3:58 am
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by simon bland
We got married in Florida, my Divorce papers are just like yours sound, with a red court seal at the bottom, had no problem.

I would try again, or try at another local court house

Good Luck

And us in New York and Canada's Absolute is the same as the UK's

Rete
Old Mar 5th 2003, 4:32 am
Forum Regular

pondhopper is an unknown quantity at this point
Default From the Nottigham court office today

Hi

I spoke to the court office manager this afternoon and she states that the Divorce absolute WITH the red stamp is legal in ANY country and can be backed up with the Decree Nisi if required which is your emtitlement for a divorce.

They have had problems with certain states in the US and will if you request it in writing supply a copy of the Decree Absolute with a judges signature to an adress in the US if you pay the postage and a small fee.

Good luck , Im just going to get me a copy with a signature.
Old Mar 5th 2003, 4:42 am
Sursum corda

cindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond repute

The irony of this is that I believe Maryland used to be one of the "easy" states to get married in. People from neighboring states used to go there to elope, for crying out loud. Same thing, here in Georgia people go to SC to get hitched because they don't require a blood test. I propose you just do an Eastern Seaboard tour after checking out state requirements and get married where it suits your fancy......Bless your hearts, all the best.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.