Wikiposts

Help please

Old Jul 13th 2008, 7:48 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Help please

Originally Posted by terrygo
Its ok, I didn't make it clear in my original post.

I confess this is a bit of a blow regarding the time I can be there because I was looking to do as you say, be there more than in the UK.
I've taken early retirement deliberately to be there, I am not as yet an OAP-feel like one sometimes .

It was always our intention to consult the immigration authorities in the US, looks like this is very much something I need to do.
More practical going the other way.

There is the Investment Visa if you have a spare $500,000 or so.

There are no Authorities to consult, there are Immigration Lawyers.
Old Jul 13th 2008, 7:51 am

Poppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond repute

Is it okay to say i'm a bit confused??

I realise I cannot go there under the fiancee optition.

What I didn't realise until reading here earlier that there might be an issue on the number or length of times I can go across there.
I did 4 times in a year it depends who you get at the POA and how long I was only here a few weeks each time.

Is there no provison in US Immigration like there is in Australia for same sex couples to be together!
Old Jul 13th 2008, 7:59 am
Just Joined

terrygo is an unknown quantity at this point

wish I did have a spare $500,000
And sorry, the way I spell my name does confuse people sometimes.

Thanks, I meant a lawyer, just getting the hang of this.

Boiler, can I just check what you mean by more practical the other way?

i've been over a few times myself, did Sept, December and April with no issues, but did only spend a couple of weeks there.So I have spent more time in the UK than the US, its the future thats bothering me.

I don't think there is a provision for same sex couples, something to check.

Thanks everyone for replying, i appreciate it.
Old Jul 13th 2008, 8:19 am

Poppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond repute

wish I did have a spare $500,000
And sorry, the way I spell my name does confuse people sometimes.

Thanks, I meant a lawyer, just getting the hang of this.

i've been over a few times myself, did Sept, December and April with no issues, but did only spend a couple of weeks there.So I have spent more time in the UK than the US, its the future thats bothering me.

I don't think there is a provision for same sex couples, something to check.

Thanks everyone for replying, i appreciate it.

What a sham if there isn't my friend married her partner in Aussie so was just wondering
Old Jul 13th 2008, 8:33 am

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

There is a possibility of a long-term partner visa for your USC to come live in the UK based on your relationship.
There's nothing like that coming into the US.

If you want a long term visa for living in the US, you'll have to do it based on other than your relationship, which leaves employment, education or a long-lost very close relative who happens to also be a US citizen.
Old Jul 13th 2008, 9:24 am
Just Joined

thanks for your advice everyone.

its a bit of a blow but at least we found out now and not later. Now we just need to look at the optitions we have available
Old Jul 13th 2008, 9:27 am
Forum Regular

ri_mischief is a glorious beacon of lightri_mischief is a glorious beacon of lightri_mischief is a glorious beacon of lightri_mischief is a glorious beacon of lightri_mischief is a glorious beacon of lightri_mischief is a glorious beacon of lightri_mischief is a glorious beacon of lightri_mischief is a glorious beacon of lightri_mischief is a glorious beacon of lightri_mischief is a glorious beacon of lightri_mischief is a glorious beacon of light

thanks for your advice everyone.

its a bit of a blow but at least we found out now and not later. Now we just need to look at the optitions we have available
Unfortunately marriage is the only relationship recognised by the US immigration authorities....

Same sex marriage is now legal in MA and CA - I don't know if that will affect this ruling or not.
Old Jul 13th 2008, 9:35 am
Just Joined

That is something we are checking-it always was something we were going to look into, maybe just need to do it sooner than we thought.

Thank you.
Old Jul 13th 2008, 9:54 am
Forum Regular

ri_mischief is a glorious beacon of lightri_mischief is a glorious beacon of lightri_mischief is a glorious beacon of lightri_mischief is a glorious beacon of lightri_mischief is a glorious beacon of lightri_mischief is a glorious beacon of lightri_mischief is a glorious beacon of lightri_mischief is a glorious beacon of lightri_mischief is a glorious beacon of lightri_mischief is a glorious beacon of lightri_mischief is a glorious beacon of light

That is something we are checking-it always was something we were going to look into, maybe just need to do it sooner than we thought.

Thank you.
I'm assuming that you were responding to my message....MA has allowed same sex marriage for some time, CA passed the law (again - they had it then rescinded it I believe) a few weeks ago.

Consult an immigration attorney in the US - they may be willing to take you on as a test case...as far as I know it hasn't been tried yet
Old Jul 13th 2008, 9:59 am
Just Joined

Yes, it was to your post,

Thank you , I will consult one over there to see what the possibilities are.
Old Jul 13th 2008, 10:05 am
Forum Regular

Yes, it was to your post,

Thank you , I will consult one over there to see what the possibilities are.
Good deal - let us know how you get on!
Old Jul 13th 2008, 10:18 am
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ri_mischief
I'm assuming that you were responding to my message....MA has allowed same sex marriage for some time, CA passed the law (again - they had it then rescinded it I believe) a few weeks ago.

Consult an immigration attorney in the US - they may be willing to take you on as a test case...as far as I know it hasn't been tried yet
No way, Jose!

Marriage is a state issue; immigration is a federal one. USICS do not accept same-sex marriages for immigration benefits -- they so state on their site.

Would be great to take it all the way up to USSC. However, the OP has already stated she doesn't even have a measly half million -- so I don't think that's very practical.
Old Jul 13th 2008, 10:20 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by fatbrit
No way, Jose!

Marriage is a state issue; immigration is a federal one. USICS do not accept same-sex marriages for immigration benefits -- they so state on their site.

Would be great to take it all the way up to USSC. However, the OP has already stated she doesn't even have a measly half million -- so I don't think that's very practical.
True - but hey - some lawyer out there might want to make it a test case. I heard the other day that people being asked to recycle was "unconstitutional", how long before this issue becomes the same...
Old Jul 13th 2008, 10:24 am
Just Joined

I appreciate every ones comments and advice here, whether good or bad,its kind of you to take the trouble to answer.

I'm glad I learned about the restrictions on going over there, that was helpful.i'm also glad to hear of the other issues, I always suspected there would be a visa issue.
I will be taking advice whilst across there this next time so maybe there's possibilities -who knows.
Old Jul 13th 2008, 10:33 am
Forum Regular

I appreciate every ones comments and advice here, whether good or bad,its kind of you to take the trouble to answer.

I'm glad I learned about the restrictions on going over there, that was helpful.i'm also glad to hear of the other issues, I always suspected there would be a visa issue.
I will be taking advice whilst across there this next time so maybe there's possibilities -who knows.
The thing is with this - it's untested because it's new over here. Fatbrit was right when he said that marriage status is a state issue - immigration is a federal one....

All I would say is that all sorts of things are being tested as "unconstitutional" at the moment...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.