Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

Help with our best way to go here plz!!

Help with our best way to go here plz!!

Old Mar 6th 2009, 9:22 pm
Just Joined

zammo567 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Help with our best way to go here plz!!

Hi I hope somebody can help us.I have been talking and chatting to a woman in the u.s for 5 months now up to 14 hrs a day via webcam,phone e-mail.We are both seperated and her divorce will be finalised in the next 6 weeks,mine however being in the u.k is going to take longer.I am going to the u.s in April to finally meet her in person and she is hoping to fly back to the u.k with me.
Can anybody help us with what do do regarding visa's etc as we plan to marry as soon as my divorce is finalised.And how long she can stay here with me we are worried that she will get thrown out of the u.k if we go ahead and get married if she comes on a visitor visa.

I hope this makes sense it all seems like a minefield to us.
Thanks in advance for any help given.
Old Mar 6th 2009, 9:49 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Help with our best way to go here plz!!

Originally Posted by zammo567
Hi I hope somebody can help us.I have been talking and chatting to a woman in the u.s for 5 months now up to 14 hrs a day via webcam,phone e-mail.We are both seperated and her divorce will be finalised in the next 6 weeks,mine however being in the u.k is going to take longer.I am going to the u.s in April to finally meet her in person and she is hoping to fly back to the u.k with me.
Can anybody help us with what do do regarding visa's etc as we plan to marry as soon as my divorce is finalised.And how long she can stay here with me we are worried that she will get thrown out of the u.k if we go ahead and get married if she comes on a visitor visa.

I hope this makes sense it all seems like a minefield to us.
You are trying to do much in too compressed a time.

She can't get married off a visitor's visa to the UK.

If your USC wants to marry in the UK, she needs a specific visa (visitor to marry visa) before she leaves the US. I would presume that you need to be free to marry before you can sponsor her for that visa.

All of us here (ok, 95%) have had long distance international relationships. There is nothing wrong with slowing this down and making a visit or two so you can immigrate properly (whichever of you immigrate).
Old Mar 6th 2009, 10:03 pm

jeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond repute

And make a proper marriage decision as well.

Regards, JEff

Originally Posted by meauxna
All of us here (ok, 95%) have had long distance international relationships. There is nothing wrong with slowing this down and making a visit or two so you can immigrate properly (whichever of you immigrate).
Old Mar 6th 2009, 10:19 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by zammo567
I don't have anything constructive to add... but, while it's none of my business (and you're free to do what you wish), I really question what you're doing. First, you've never actually met her and yet you're already thinking of marriage. Second, it seems that neither of you have a good track record with relationships! Third, the phrase "out of the frying pan into the fryer" comes to mind - as it always does when people jump out of one relationship and immediately dive into another without taking the time to make a few objective self-assessments!

At any rate, good luck to you.

Ian
Old Mar 6th 2009, 10:22 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jeffreyhy

Regards, JEff
Well, I didn't like to say.

(gaaa, side note, I seem to have caught your 'E' problem and am getting regular bizarre capitalization problems. Lazy fingers I guess.)
Old Mar 6th 2009, 10:23 pm

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
I don't have anything constructive to add...

And yet, that didn't stop you.

It doesn't hurt you at all to start out a little slowly you know (hey that's for the OP too!). If you offer him a solution, you might have him around to pontificate on for longer.
Old Mar 6th 2009, 10:23 pm
BE Enthusiast

notacrime has a reputation beyond reputenotacrime has a reputation beyond reputenotacrime has a reputation beyond reputenotacrime has a reputation beyond reputenotacrime has a reputation beyond reputenotacrime has a reputation beyond reputenotacrime has a reputation beyond reputenotacrime has a reputation beyond reputenotacrime has a reputation beyond reputenotacrime has a reputation beyond reputenotacrime has a reputation beyond repute

I don't have anything constructive to add... but, while it's none of my business (and you're free to do what you wish), I really question what you're doing. First, you've never actually met her and yet you're already thinking of marriage. Second, it seems that neither of you have a good track record with relationships! Third, the phrase "out of the frying pan into the fryer" comes to mind - as it always does when people jump out of one relationship and immediately dive into another without taking the time to make a few objective self-assessments!

At any rate, good luck to you.

Ian
Jeez Ian, enough with the moralizing!
Old Mar 6th 2009, 10:26 pm
BE Enthusiast

notacrime has a reputation beyond reputenotacrime has a reputation beyond reputenotacrime has a reputation beyond reputenotacrime has a reputation beyond reputenotacrime has a reputation beyond reputenotacrime has a reputation beyond reputenotacrime has a reputation beyond reputenotacrime has a reputation beyond reputenotacrime has a reputation beyond reputenotacrime has a reputation beyond reputenotacrime has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jeffreyhy

Regards, JEff
Oh leave them alone.

I feel like a character in a Capra movie. Am I the only one who believes in romance any more?
Old Mar 6th 2009, 10:31 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by notacrime
Since I'm not trying to impose my belief system, I'm not moralizing. What I am doing, is making an objective criticism based on what he's written.

Ian
Old Mar 6th 2009, 10:33 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by meauxna
And yet, that didn't stop you.
I call 'em like I see 'em!

Ian
Old Mar 6th 2009, 10:41 pm

jeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond repute

nac,

Am I the only one who believes in romance any more?
They haven't even met yet. You and I apparently have a different concept of what romance is.

I thought he was taking it easy on them.

Regards, JEff

Last edited by jeffreyhy; Mar 6th 2009 at 10:44 pm.
Old Mar 6th 2009, 10:47 pm
BE Forum Addict

Norri has a reputation beyond reputeNorri has a reputation beyond reputeNorri has a reputation beyond reputeNorri has a reputation beyond reputeNorri has a reputation beyond reputeNorri has a reputation beyond reputeNorri has a reputation beyond reputeNorri has a reputation beyond reputeNorri has a reputation beyond reputeNorri has a reputation beyond reputeNorri has a reputation beyond repute

I don't have anything constructive to add... but, while it's none of my business (and you're free to do what you wish),

Ian
I think this part of the post was important to take note of.
Old Mar 6th 2009, 10:52 pm
Forum Regular

olliewat has much to be proud ofolliewat has much to be proud ofolliewat has much to be proud ofolliewat has much to be proud ofolliewat has much to be proud ofolliewat has much to be proud ofolliewat has much to be proud ofolliewat has much to be proud ofolliewat has much to be proud ofolliewat has much to be proud ofolliewat has much to be proud of

Oh leave them alone.

I feel like a character in a Capra movie. Am I the only one who believes in romance any more?

Romance is all well and good, but with a 50/50 chance of a marriage surviving under NORMAL conditions, one would think a bit of practicality would be helpful in what might be considered a higher-stress marriage. I mean, who here didn't experience any stress in their marriage while dealing with BCIS, INS, whatever?
Old Mar 6th 2009, 10:57 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by olliewat
Romance is all well and good, but with a 50/50 chance of a marriage surviving under NORMAL conditions, one would think a bit of practicality would be helpful in what might be considered a higher-stress marriage. I mean, who here didn't experience any stress in their marriage while dealing with BCIS, INS, whatever?
Me.....

Sometimes the immigration journey was stressful, but never put any stress on the marriage. Well, on the engagement (we did a fiance visa).

Rene
Old Mar 6th 2009, 11:19 pm
BE Enthusiast

Since I'm not trying to impose my belief system, I'm not moralizing. What I am doing, is making an objective criticism based on what he's written.

Ian
Enough of that then.

OP - for your questions about the USC coming to UK you'd be better off asking at uk-yankee.com

The board you are currently on is focused on brits moving abroad (and then whining about it.)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.