Help me please!!

Old Jul 17th 2010, 3:13 am
Just Joined

bashy is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Help me please!!

Hello people, Ok So I really need help. I moved to america on my own to live with my friend (whos american met her back in England, Im British) I am young and didnt really know any preceedures. I got myself a holiday visa which allows me to be here for 3 months I have until the end of Sept. However I want to stay here Im a hairdresser and I have found a salon to work in and I am working there currently, although my boss cant give me a work visa because hes hired me to work for him which is dodgy enough as it is, I got my certification in England but I havnt transfered my work here but he knows Im good enough and said you can work for me under the table Il pay you just cash. Ok so I love it here and dont want to go back, does anybody know of any options for me as I dont want to go home!!! Please help
Old Jul 17th 2010, 3:24 am
BE Enthusiast

Moonshadow_Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMoonshadow_Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMoonshadow_Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMoonshadow_Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMoonshadow_Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMoonshadow_Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMoonshadow_Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMoonshadow_Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMoonshadow_Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMoonshadow_Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMoonshadow_Girl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Help me please!!

Stop working, go home in a timely manner, save some money, read this: Pulaski's Ways...

Now, pardon me while I grab some popcorn.
Old Jul 17th 2010, 11:23 am
BE Forum Addict

SarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond repute

What makes you think it is someone who has posted before?

This is a train wreck just waiting to happen.
Old Jul 17th 2010, 12:29 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Unless you fit into any of the categories that are listed in Pulaski's Way, then the only other option for you is to marry your US Citizen "friend" if they are of the opposite sex, of course, and apply for adjustment of status.

Working under the table is not a good thing and is cause for you to be deported immediately from the US if discovered, the employer fined, and you might be banned from returning to the US for a period of time, if not permanently.

While you might be young, that is not an excuse not to follow the immigration laws. I'm pleased to see that you are now looking into the matter. Let's see if it is possible for you to emigrate to the US legally.
Old Jul 17th 2010, 2:08 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bashy
I love it here and dont want to go back
With respect, what you want doesn't enter into the equation. You entered the US as a visitor with, it seems, the intent to stay - clearly an abuse of the system, and illegal to boot. Further, you are working illegally.

... does anybody know of any options for me as I dont want to go home!
Again, with respect, what you want doesn't matter. Go home and seek a proper visa. Do it... before you complicate things more than they already are - perhaps beyond the point of being fixable.

Ian
Old Jul 17th 2010, 2:40 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Marriage
Old Jul 17th 2010, 3:11 pm
BE Enthusiast

Awesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond repute

Your'e not going to get much in the way of support/sympathy from a forum of folks who have emigrated "the right way" - i.e. lawfully and usually costly (financially, emotionally and logistically).
Other than by means already suggested, you will not be able to stay here without spending all of your time looking over your shoulder. Nor will you be able to drive, have health coverage, rent somewhere to live, obtain any form of credit or utility service that requires an I.D.
You can't even cut peoples hair without being licensed. What's going to happen when a punter sits in front of you and says, "Where are your credentials?" The owner of the business you refer to is clearly a moron and faces prosecution because of you. I guarantee you will be paid chicken shit, below minimums too.

That said, lots of people do what you are planning. I suspect most of them get pissed-off with the miserable and restricted life that they are forced to live here and either marry a USC or slope off back home - barred from re-entry.
It might all look shiny and exciting right now - but imagine how it's going to be if you were hospitalized because of an accident.
Old Jul 17th 2010, 3:47 pm
BE Enthusiast

discoviking has a reputation beyond reputediscoviking has a reputation beyond reputediscoviking has a reputation beyond reputediscoviking has a reputation beyond reputediscoviking has a reputation beyond reputediscoviking has a reputation beyond reputediscoviking has a reputation beyond reputediscoviking has a reputation beyond reputediscoviking has a reputation beyond reputediscoviking has a reputation beyond reputediscoviking has a reputation beyond repute

I got myself a holiday visa which allows me to be here for 3 months I have until the end of Sept
I assume you are talking about the Visa Waiver Program, which isn't a visa. It allows you to enter as a vistior without a visa for 90 days. You are not permitted to work when you are in visitor status. If caught, you are clearly deportable, and would face a ban from re-entering the US as a result.

Assuming you did enter under the VWP, working is a violation of the terms of the Visa Waiver Program. Violating the terms of a VWP entry makes you ineligible to use the VWP in the future.

Putting aside the complication of already working illegally for a moment, you also need to understand the ramifications if you now choose to stay beyond the expiration date of your I-94W (Or I-94 if you entered on a B2). Once the expiration date in september has passed, you are out of status and begin to accumulate unlawful presence. (Assuming you are over 18). Unlawful presence of more than 6 months but less than a year, carries a 3 year ban on reentering the US. Unlawful presence of a year or more carries a ban of 10 years on reentering the US. The ban starts the day you leave US soil. If you are deported rather than leaving voluntarily, there would be additional bans.

Once the ban is in effect, the only way to overcome it if you wish to legally emigrate to the US, would be to have a qualifying relative submit an hardship waiver on your behalf. The qualifying relative must be a US citizen or lawful Permanent Resident (green card holder) spouse or parent. The qualifying relative must be able to demonstrate why it would be an extreme hardship if you were not permitted to enter the US and live with them *AND* why it would be an extreme hardship for the qualifying relative to be forced to live with you in the UK for the duration of the ban.

As you can see, not an easy proposition.

If you only wanted to visit the US, you would need a B2 visitor visa and a non-immigrant waiver to overcome a ban. These are discretionary, and are not handed out like candy, either.

So the point I am making to you, is that staying beyond the expiration day of your I-94 is a very BAD idea, with serious consequences.

Also, keep in mind that if you entered on the VWP, overstaying the expiration date on your I-94W by even *one* day will prevent you from being able to enter on the VWP again, ever. You will then need a B2 visitor visa if you wish to visit the US ever again as a tourist. This may be a moot point though, since you have already violated the terms of your current entry by working illegally, and most likely have already made yourself ineligible from making any future VWP entries.

does anybody know of any options for me as I dont want to go home!!! Please help
Unfortunately, and with all due respect - what you want is irrelevant. US immigration is not Burger King, you can't have it your way. There is no 'I want to hang out with my friend in the US' visa.

As has been pointed out, if your friend is of the opposite sex, a US citizen *and* marriage is a realistic option, adjusting status based on marriage to your friend is one option. It is not without risk, as marriage for the sole purpose of obtaining an immigration benefit is illegal, with severe penalties such as a lifetime ban from the US. The marriage has to be a bona-fide marriage. If marriage is a realistic option, it would also be in your best interest to get married and submit your AOS application BEFORE the expiration date of your I-94W (Or I-94).

If marriage is not an option, you should stop working immediately, return to the UK before the expiration date on your I-94W (or I-94) and begin researching legal options for how to get to the the US. Begin with the link given to you in post #2. You may very well find that there are no legal options for you at this time, but that does not mean there won't be any at some point in the future if your situation changes. So, complying with the rules now so that you don't jeopardize any future opportunities would be in your best interest.

I know this may all sound harsh and probably not what you wanted to hear, and I am not trying to crush your dreams here. But sometimes a dose of reality is required to try and prevent someone from getting themselves into a worse situation than the one they are already in.

Of course it is your life and your decision to do whatever you wish with the information given. Just remember that if you are playing with fire, you are likely to get burned.

Good luck to you.

Last edited by discoviking; Jul 17th 2010 at 5:43 pm.
Old Jul 17th 2010, 3:56 pm
BE Enthusiast

discoviking has a reputation beyond reputediscoviking has a reputation beyond reputediscoviking has a reputation beyond reputediscoviking has a reputation beyond reputediscoviking has a reputation beyond reputediscoviking has a reputation beyond reputediscoviking has a reputation beyond reputediscoviking has a reputation beyond reputediscoviking has a reputation beyond reputediscoviking has a reputation beyond reputediscoviking has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Awesome Welles
You can't even cut peoples hair without being licensed.
That's a good point. Hair salons are supposed to undergo regular inspections.
Old Jul 17th 2010, 8:46 pm
Just Joined

Thank you for all your help I should really leave then...although A friend told me I can be a student at a college and get a student visa? Whats the preceedure with that could that be my last straw?
Old Jul 17th 2010, 8:48 pm
Just Joined

I am young and have loads too learn, I didnt know it would be this awkward. I am leaving the salon and will look into being a student here and try and transfer all my certificates in hairdressing to the states. You all have to realise I want to be here and would like to do this all as legally as I can thanks for all your help, like I said can I get a student visa can I have help with that lol
Old Jul 17th 2010, 9:07 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

A friend told me I can be a student at a college and get a student visa?
You may be able to get an F-1 student visa. School in the US is expensive, but it's certainly doable. Remember... Google is your friend, and we'll still be here to help you do things properly.

I am young and have loads too learn, I didnt know it would be this awkward.
That you are now reconsidering your choices, speaks well of your character. Best of luck to you. Here's a thought to consider... the US is one of the most difficult places to get to, so this may take a while. Don't be too discouraged... keep focussed on the long-term goal.

Ian
Old Jul 17th 2010, 9:20 pm
Just Joined

Ian I appreciat your help so much thanks. Now Im looking into a student visa, So theres a college 5 mins away from me could I get a student loan as you said its expensive?
Old Jul 17th 2010, 9:22 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Old Jul 17th 2010, 9:36 pm
BE Forum Addict

Bill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond repute

Ian I appreciat your help so much thanks. Now Im looking into a student visa, So theres a college 5 mins away from me could I get a student loan as you said its expensive?
Student visa FAQ

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.