Wikiposts

HELP..........LONDON

Old May 3rd 2002, 4:10 am
Rogerpenycate

Default HELP..........LONDON

I'm probably being impatient, however. My petition went into London abour 6 weeks ago
and since then nothing. I phoned their help desk on Monday and was told I would
receive more info in a couple of days by post or email....still nothing. I phoned
today and was told I haven't even been assigned a case number. Everyhing else is in
place, police reports, I-864 and even had the "jabs" today. Anyone got any advice,
I'm frightened to pester them in case they get fed up of me and I go to the bottom of
the pile. OR....as I said am I being impatient ?

Old May 3rd 2002, 4:38 am
BE Enthusiast

Ameriscot is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: HELP..........LONDON

The INS in London does not give out status reports on petitions - not even receipts. I imagine that the information you got from the visa branch helpline was general information on typical processing times. Typically, you get notification of the petition approval around 6 - 8 weeks after sending it in. The visa branch doesn't get this information before you.

You are still within the normal time frame for processing. If it does appear that your petition is delayed, the only way you can sort this out is to get the US citizen petitioner to write to the INS office in London. They don't have a phone or email service, and they don't talk to beneficiaries.

The case number is the result of your sending in the visa application form, OF-230 part 1, or the result of receiving the petition approval from the INS. If neither of these things have happened yet, then no one at the visa branch will be working on your case. If you have sent in OF-230 part 1, it takes many weeks for the case number to appear (you can see the timeline on my site to see how long it took for mine).

If you haven't already done so, send in OF-230 part 1 ASAP. Other than that, there's not much you can do until the petition is approved. You could send in OF-169 (document check list), but without a case number, this may not make it to your file (although you could always send in a duplicate OF-169 once you do receive your case number).

As soon as the visa branch has your petition approval, OF-230 part 1 and OF-169, they will schedule your visa interview. It can take them a week or two to do this, and they try to give you two weeks' notice (although this is highly dependent on the travel date you indicate in OF-169).
Old May 3rd 2002, 5:10 am
Jb

ROGERPENYCATE wrote:
    >
    > I'm probably being impatient, however. My petition went into London abour 6 weeks
    > ago and since then nothing. I phoned their help desk on Monday and was told I would
    > receive more info in a couple of days by post or email....still nothing. I phoned
    > today and was told I haven't even been assigned a case number. Everyhing else is in
    > place, police reports, I-864 and even had the "jabs" today. Anyone got any advice,
    > I'm frightened to pester them in case they get fed up of me and I go to the bottom
    > of the pile. OR....as I said am I being impatient ?

I think you're being impatient. I also wouldn't bother them with repeated requests
for status. After all, what can you do to make things go faster? You've done
everything you possibly can as far as I can tell.

Old May 3rd 2002, 11:10 am
Rogerpenycate

Thank you very much for your well informed advice, I'll stop panicking now (ish)

Ameriscot <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
    > The INS in London does not give out status reports on petitions - not even
    > receipts. I imagine that the information you got from the visa branch helpline was
    > general information on typical processing times. Typically, you get notification of
    > the petition approval around 6 - 8 weeks after sending it in. The visa branch
    > doesn't get this information before you.
    >
    > You are still within the normal time frame for processing. If it does appear that
    > your petition is delayed, the only way you can sort this out is to get the US
    > citizen petitioner to write to the INS office in London. They don't have a phone or
    > email service, and they don't talk to beneficiaries.
    >
    > The case number is the result of your sending in the visa application form,
    > OF-230 part 1, or the result of receiving the petition approval from the INS. If
    > neither of these things have happened yet, then no one at the visa branch will be
    > working on your case. If you have sent in OF-230 part 1, it takes many weeks for
    > the case number to appear (you can see the timeline on my site to see how long it
    > took for mine).
    >
    > If you haven't already done so, send in OF-230 part 1 ASAP. Other than that,
    > there's not much you can do until the petition is approved. You could send in
    > OF-169 (document check list), but without a case number, this may not make it to
    > your file (although you could always send in a duplicate OF-169 once you do receive
    > your case number).
    >
    > As soon as the visa branch has your petition approval, OF-230 part 1 and OF-169,
    > they will schedule your visa interview. It can take them a week or two to do this,
    > and they try to give you two weeks' notice (although this is highly dependent on
    > the travel date you indicate in OF-169).