Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

Help! just a quick question :)

Wikiposts

Help! just a quick question :)

Old Jan 8th 2006, 10:58 am
Just Joined

RIVER1 is a name known to allRIVER1 is a name known to allRIVER1 is a name known to allRIVER1 is a name known to allRIVER1 is a name known to allRIVER1 is a name known to allRIVER1 is a name known to allRIVER1 is a name known to allRIVER1 is a name known to allRIVER1 is a name known to allRIVER1 is a name known to all
Default Help! just a quick question :)

Hello Happy new year for everyone.

I have a question for those who have an idea of how this goes.

Is it legal to enter the US with a tourist visa when my K3 and I-130 are in process at the consulate in Cd Juarez, Mex? We are just waiting for the packet.

Would I be breaking any law?

Is it risky to try?

Just wondering, it would be great to be able to go visit.

I hope u can help me!
river
Old Jan 8th 2006, 11:14 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Help! just a quick question :)

Originally Posted by RIVER

Is it legal to enter the US with a tourist visa when my K3 and I-130 are in process at the consulate in Cd Juarez, Mex? We are just waiting for the packet.

Is it risky to try?

I hope u can help me!
river
Hi River,

It is not illegal, and you wouldn't be breaking any law. Just bring plenty of proof of your ties to Mexico, and your intent to return there when your visit it up. Be prepared to be turned away at the border, in case the Officer is not convinced.

Best Wishes,
Rene
Old Jan 8th 2006, 11:25 am
SUPER CRUNCHY BALCONY COW

Hypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond repute

Is it risky to try?

I hope u can help me!
river
Hey there

It is doable but make sure you bring plenty evidence to prove that you will be coming back after your visit is over, you could bring: Mortgage or lease stating your residence in Mexico, utility bills, car insurance.. kitchen sink, you might not need it but it is better to be safe than sorry!
Good Luck!
Old Jan 9th 2006, 3:48 am
Capt. Tuttle

RIVER wrote:
    > Hello :) Happy new year for everyone.
    >
    > I have a question for those who have an idea of how this goes.
    >
    > Is it legal to enter the US with a tourist visa when my K3 and I-130 are
    > in process at the consulate in Cd Juarez, Mex? We are just waiting for
    > the packet.
    >
    > Would I be breaking any law?
    >
    > Is it risky to try?
    >
    > Just wondering, it would be great to be able to go visit.
    >
    > I hope u can help me!
    > river
    >

From the stories I hear from my Mexican wife, who came here on a K1
from Paris, and her family, who live in Mexico, there isn't much of a
chance of you getting a tourist visa at all.
We have a related problem with her son who is here on a J1 getting his
Mexican wife and child a J2 visa.
I would be very interested to hear if you are able to get a tourist visa
in Mexico and the progress of your K3 visa.
To hear my wife and her family tell it the U.S. makes it difficult or
impossible for Mexicans to enter the U.S. legally. Perhaps that is
another reason we have such a problem with illegal immigrants.
I hope everything works out well for you and that you are able to do
what you want to do. The wait is almost too much to bear. I know.

Old Jan 9th 2006, 5:07 am
Just Joined

RIVER1 is a name known to allRIVER1 is a name known to allRIVER1 is a name known to allRIVER1 is a name known to allRIVER1 is a name known to allRIVER1 is a name known to allRIVER1 is a name known to allRIVER1 is a name known to allRIVER1 is a name known to allRIVER1 is a name known to allRIVER1 is a name known to all

Thanks all for your responses.

Tuttle, I have had a tourist visa since I was a child and I have entered several times the US with it, also last year just after getting married I flew there with no problems at all, but now that both my cases, K3 and I-130 are in Cd Juarez, I thought there could be a problem or inconvenience in trying to fly in.

Getting a tourist visa is always difficult or even impossible for people who most likely will go to the US to stay working, those who do not have a job, a bank account or even a credit card, have almost no chances to get a visa, the rest of the people, has no problems at all to get it.

As for my K3 visa, just to think of it makes me a little crazy, it has been a long journey since we started the paperwork back in October 2004.

My husband filed it and he received the confirmation that whoever it was, received the papers and they were working on it. Later on, in june, he calls to check the status and he finds out that it was incomplete. They sent him a letter stating that a document was missing and he had to start over the whole paperwork. He did so. We were informed in july 22nd that it had been approved and received in Cd Juarez and told us to wait for 3 weeks while Cd Juarez received it and loaded our case in the sistem. We waited one month, in august 22nd we called and they said it would take them 2 months to process it and then contact me or send me the packet.

We waited 2 more months, we called on oct 22nd and they said they were sorry but since they are far behind and have tons of cases, and I had 2, (K3 and I-130) mine (k3) had been declared as abbandoned, and it was about to be deleted from their sistem. If you think you can imagine what I felt when I heared that, you are wrong, I never thought I could feel that sad ungry and frustrated at once.

My husband called, and they reinstalled the case. It started over. We called 4 days ago and they said that it wont be january nor february when they send the packet to me, and also said to consider march, april or even may as a probable time to receive the packet.

That is crazy! who has the liver to wait that long?
I don´t

and you are right, waiting away from my husband has been almost hell.
Old Jan 9th 2006, 7:23 am
Banned

Matthew Udall has a reputation beyond reputeMatthew Udall has a reputation beyond reputeMatthew Udall has a reputation beyond reputeMatthew Udall has a reputation beyond reputeMatthew Udall has a reputation beyond reputeMatthew Udall has a reputation beyond reputeMatthew Udall has a reputation beyond reputeMatthew Udall has a reputation beyond reputeMatthew Udall has a reputation beyond reputeMatthew Udall has a reputation beyond reputeMatthew Udall has a reputation beyond repute

Is it risky to try?

I hope u can help me!
river
One “potential” problem I see is this: Lets say the Consulate is doing (or has done) your security check. Lets say they do it and the results come back. You won’t know when they do this.

Now lets say you enter the U.S. after this has been completed. The Consulate probably would not know about this new trip to the U.S. until the day you are sitting in their office on the day of your interview (hoping they will issue your immigrant visa).

If you entered the U.S. “after” they did the security check, they might feel they must do another security check, just to make sure you didn’t get into any trouble during the most recent visit (as that trouble could not have shown up on the first security check).

This has never happened in one of my own cases. Yesterday in a thread, I responded to someone who asked why I participate in groups like this. One reason is that occasionally I learn something useful from another member. This warning I’m giving above is based on a member’s experience that I read about a number of years ago. I’d give proper credit with this members name if I could remember it for sure (think her name was Lisa).