Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

Help! I need your advice!! urgent!

Wikiposts

Help! I need your advice!! urgent!

Old May 13th 2008, 7:41 am
Just Joined

seejune is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Help! I need your advice!! urgent!

hello! I was born in UK but I want to marry my american boyfriend. We have set a date to get married, 1 november 2008 but I need to know how do I go about applying for a citizenship in america. I really dont want to leave my boyfriend. I have already traveled to america, from UK, 3 times over the last 6 months and I really dont want to leave him again. Please help! thanks.
Old May 13th 2008, 8:05 am

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Help! I need your advice!! urgent!

Originally Posted by seejune
hello! I was born in UK but I want to marry my american boyfriend. We have set a date to get married, 1 november 2008 but I need to know how do I go about applying for a citizenship in america. I really dont want to leave my boyfriend. I have already traveled to america, from UK, 3 times over the last 6 months and I really dont want to leave him again. Please help! thanks.
You are outside the US today?

You have a long way to go before citizenship; please see the wiki for US immigration info basics and come back with your questions.
Old May 13th 2008, 8:17 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Where are you right at this moment? The UK or the USA? That will help us determine the paths you have available to become a US Permanent Resident.

As meauxna says, you have a long way to go towards citizenship. You will first need to become a US PR.

Rene
Old May 13th 2008, 8:20 am
Just Joined

I am currently out of the US as i work in UK. I do plan to return to the states in july 2008.

thanks for your advice, i will take it on board.
Old May 13th 2008, 8:22 am
Just Joined

Thanks Rene. Im currently in UK. What is US PR? shall i get my boyfriend to complete a I-129F first?
Old May 13th 2008, 8:23 am
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

You have a lot of studying to do.
Old May 13th 2008, 8:25 am
Just Joined

I just re-read the above messages, US PR stands for US Permanent Residency. I see. Yes I have just started researching on how to obtain a US PR. Im quite lost to tell you the truth. i dont know where to start.
Old May 13th 2008, 8:26 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks Rene. Im currently in UK. What is US PR? shall i get my boyfriend to complete a I-129F first?
US PR = United States Permanent Resident.

If you want to do the K-1 fiance visa route, then yes, your boyfriend should submit the I-129F petition ASAP (as soon as possible). But you won't make a November 2008 wedding, you'll have to plan a later date. It takes about 8 to 10 months to process the fiance visa.

Your other option is to get married now, either in the USA or in the UK, and have your husband file an I-130 towards a spouse Immigrant Visa.

Rene
Old May 13th 2008, 8:27 am

I just re-read the above messages, US PR stands for US Permanent Residency. I see. Yes I have just started researching on how to obtain a US PR. Im quite lost to tell you the truth. i dont know where to start.
It might be worthwhile to contact a US-based immigration attorney (both you and your boyfriend), who can spell out the paths you have open to you. There is a LOT of paperwork and time involved in it all. It not a 1-step process.

Rene
Old May 13th 2008, 8:28 am

Start here to read about the K-1 fiance visa process:

http://britishexpats.com/wiki/K1

Rene
Old May 13th 2008, 8:30 am

I just thought I might add that it's illegal to use the VWP or a visitor's visa with the intent to come to the USA, marry, and remain to adjust your status to permanent resident.

It's OK to come to the USA to get married, but you then must return to the UK for your visa processing. That process also takes about 8 to 10 months.

Rene
Old May 13th 2008, 8:32 am
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Noorah101
I just thought I might add that it's illegal to use the VWP or a visitor's visa with the intent to come to the USA, marry, and remain to adjust your status to permanent resident.

It's OK to come to the USA to get married, but you then must return to the UK for your visa processing. That process also takes about 8 to 10 months.

Rene
And yet....

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=536335
Old May 13th 2008, 8:35 am

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fatbrit
Well, he's not finished yet. Hardly your best example.
Old May 13th 2008, 8:36 am
Just Joined

Thanks Rene and everyone who contributed. This is really useful. yes I could get married sooner and get my husband to be to file an I-130. I didnt think it would take this long. so after the wedding I need to return to UK and process the visa, right? my heart has just sank, why is it so hard? is there any other easier way, legal way, of course?
Old May 13th 2008, 8:40 am
Septicity

Originally Posted by meauxna
Well, he's not finished yet. Hardly your best example.
It was current. He was also married before taking the express route. But he's in good company.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.