Reload this Page >

Help!! I-864 Question - Urgent

Help!! I-864 Question - Urgent

Old Feb 5th 2004, 6:04 pm
Forum Regular

mickey79 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Help!! I-864 Question - Urgent

Folks,

Everyone's been tremendously helpful here in the entire procedure my wife and i have been dealing with. We're almost on the last mile as my interview date is on 19th February. I have every single document required for that prepared & ready with me.

I just had a major doubt that came to my mind today.
I am not exactly sure but somehow my memory tells me that i read about this somewhere quite a while back..
Is the entire Affidavit of Support Forms & Documents supposed to be sealed & sent by my wife.. which ONLY the Embassy is allowed to open??

My wife has already sent me all her papers, documents, supporting documents & the I-864 forms.. alongwith a copy of all her original documents for me to keep just in case. But she didn't send it sealed and i have opened them. Is that alright? Or like the Medican Examination Report packet, only the Embassy people are supposed to open it??

Secondly, she made 2 minor mistakes in the forms.. in numbers. I plan to white-out the number and correct the figure.. is that going to be a problem??

Please advise as soon as you can. My interview is on the 19th february.. i have just two weeks left and if things need to be changed my wife will have to send me the Form all over again from US.

Thanks a ton!

Mickey.
Old Feb 5th 2004, 8:38 pm
US resident at last :)

mstracy is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Help!! I-864 Question - Urgent

Congrats on the interveiw date.

I'm not 100% sure about the sealed Affidavit of Support but it's nothing I've come across yet.

My main comment is about the use of white-out. I know for most doccuments it is forbidden. I'd suggest that you just put a line through the old figures and enter new ones. This doccument is evidence so any changes or corrections should be noted clearly and not disguised in any way.

Good luck

Mark

Originally posted by mickey79
Folks,

Everyone's been tremendously helpful here in the entire procedure my wife and i have been dealing with. We're almost on the last mile as my interview date is on 19th February. I have every single document required for that prepared & ready with me.

I am not exactly sure but somehow my memory tells me that i read about this somewhere quite a while back..
Is the entire Affidavit of Support Forms & Documents supposed to be sealed & sent by my wife.. which ONLY the Embassy is allowed to open??

My wife has already sent me all her papers, documents, supporting documents & the I-864 forms.. alongwith a copy of all her original documents for me to keep just in case. But she didn't send it sealed and i have opened them. Is that alright? Or like the Medican Examination Report packet, only the Embassy people are supposed to open it??

Secondly, she made 2 minor mistakes in the forms.. in numbers. I plan to white-out the number and correct the figure.. is that going to be a problem??

Please advise as soon as you can. My interview is on the 19th february.. i have just two weeks left and if things need to be changed my wife will have to send me the Form all over again from US.

Thanks a ton!

Mickey.
Old Feb 5th 2004, 9:34 pm
Forum Regular

sunil is an unknown quantity at this point

Mickey,
No the affidavit does have to be sealed. I-864 should be filled out by your wife and notarized as well. You also need her tax returns for the last three years. If her income is 125% above the poverty line, then you don't need job letter or bank letter either, but having them would'nt hurt.
White out might create a problem. Just to be on the safe side, have her send you another form. I gave my wife three copies of completed, signed and notarized copies.
By the way, she also has her interview on the 19th. From the embassy website, it seems, all of us who went in on the 16th of dec for initial interview, will be meeting again on the 19 of this month!!!
Old Feb 5th 2004, 9:50 pm
Forum Regular

Originally posted by mstracy
Congrats on the interveiw date.

I'm not 100% sure about the sealed Affidavit of Support but it's nothing I've come across yet.

My main comment is about the use of white-out. I know for most doccuments it is forbidden. I'd suggest that you just put a line through the old figures and enter new ones. This doccument is evidence so any changes or corrections should be noted clearly and not disguised in any way.

Good luck

Mark
Mark,

Thanks a lot.
I'll be looking into information regarding the sealed thing, but as for the corrections, i think you're very right. I think it's better to cut out and re-write rather then white-out which can seem like concealing information.

Thanks again,
Mickey
Old Feb 6th 2004, 12:37 am
Forum Regular

Originally posted by sunil
Mickey,
No the affidavit does have to be sealed. I-864 should be filled out by your wife and notarized as well. You also need her tax returns for the last three years. If her income is 125% above the poverty line, then you don't need job letter or bank letter either, but having them would'nt hurt.
White out might create a problem. Just to be on the safe side, have her send you another form. I gave my wife three copies of completed, signed and notarized copies.
By the way, she also has her interview on the 19th. From the embassy website, it seems, all of us who went in on the 16th of dec for initial interview, will be meeting again on the 19 of this month!!!
Sunil!
Fantastic news about the 19th! We'll be meeting then.

Are you sure about the Affidavit needing to be sealed? I actually just found out on some websites that it doesn't have to be sealed. That it's an option, not a compulsion.. in case the Sponsor does not want his paperwork to be seen by the applicant, he can send the paperwork sealed to be opened only by the Embassy. Where did you find the information that it has to be sealed & cannot be opened?
And secondly, if sealing is required, only the I-864 has to be sealed or the photocopies of the accompanying documents (W2 Forms, Letters Etcetera) also need to be sealed?

Her income is definately above the 125% of the Poverty Guidlines for 2003, as mentioned in the note we got.. but i do have her bank statements and employment pay slips in any case.

I don't think i'll be taking the chance with the cutting it out either, i guess it's best she sends me another notarized copy of the I-864 Form.

One last important Question.
She files her Tax Returns electronicaly using the IRS's e-filing system. She has sent me the W2's for 2000, 2001 & 2002, and the accompanying papers that she had for her Tax Returns.. (Retrun Recap Document, Form 8453.. the Tax Declaration Form, Form 8879... signature Authorization Form & Form 9325... Acknowledgement & General Info for Tax payers filing electronically). Is this ok & enough.. or does she need to send me something else?

Please try and let me know what you can as soon as you can.. running short on time.

Stay great and will be hoping to see you soon.

Thank a ton,
Mickey79
Old Feb 6th 2004, 2:07 am
Forum Regular

speedyvespa is on a distinguished road

Folks,

Thanks a ton!

Mickey.
Mickey,

Don't know if the affidavit has to be sealed or not, but I do know that mine wasn't, and I handed it in personally at the local BCIS centre - nothing was said, the officer put my AOS package in an envelope and sealed it herself.

Good luck!

- Mark
Old Feb 6th 2004, 4:33 am
Forum Regular

oops.. a typo!!! I meant to write it does NOT have to be sealed!! Sorry about the typo.
Old Feb 6th 2004, 6:02 am
Forum Regular

oops.. a typo!!! I meant to write it does NOT have to be sealed!! Sorry about the typo.
Sunil,

Thanks again.
Do you have some info about that Tax Returns thingy i was asking up there? What i have will suffice?

One more little question came to my mind. It's basically just the language used on the Forms & Paper.
With the packet 4.. i got the Poverty Guidelines Sheet.. now that says for a Household size of 2 it is $15,150.
Now they keep saying "125 Percent of" .. this gets a bit confusing. The figures they have given in this Sheet we got in Packet 4 are the FINAL figures? Or you have to calculate 125 % of the figure? That is.. do i have to calculate 125 % of $15,150 or $15,150 is the total figure required?

Secondly, if you look at the I-864 Form.. Part 4. .. D.3 ...
"Minimum income requirement from the Poverty Guidelines chart for the year of ....... is $ ......... for this household size."

So if the household size is 2... the figure you would mention would be "is $15,150"? Or something else?

It's just a bit confusing whether there is a difference between "Percentage of" & "Minimum Income Requirement".

Help really appreciated.

Thanks a ton,
Mickey79
Old Feb 6th 2004, 7:14 am
BE Forum Addict

rogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud of

Sunil,

Thanks again.
Do you have some info about that Tax Returns thingy i was asking up there? What i have will suffice?

One more little question came to my mind. It's basically just the language used on the Forms & Paper.
With the packet 4.. i got the Poverty Guidelines Sheet.. now that says for a Household size of 2 it is $15,150.
Now they keep saying "125 Percent of" .. this gets a bit confusing. The figures they have given in this Sheet we got in Packet 4 are the FINAL figures? Or you have to calculate 125 % of the figure? That is.. do i have to calculate 125 % of $15,150 or $15,150 is the total figure required?

"Minimum income requirement from the Poverty Guidelines chart for the year of ....... is $ ......... for this household size."

So if the household size is 2... the figure you would mention would be "is $15,150"? Or something else?

It's just a bit confusing whether there is a difference between "Percentage of" & "Minimum Income Requirement".

Help really appreciated.

Thanks a ton,
Mickey79

The I-864 (notarized) and W2 tax returns do not have to be sealed. My wife sent them to me when i was in the Uk and I just took them along to the interview, already opened
Old Feb 6th 2004, 7:27 am
SUPER CRUNCHY BALCONY COW

Hypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond repute

Folks,

Thanks a ton!

Mickey.

Hi Mickey!

My lawyer sent me the I-134 (Affidavit of support) along with the original documentation, I opened it to put it with the rest of the stuff I was bringing to my interview and I didn't have any problems. My interview was for a K3, what's yours for? K1? K3?
Old Feb 6th 2004, 7:30 am
BE Forum Addict

rogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud of

Sunil,

Thanks again.

Help really appreciated.

Thanks a ton,
Mickey79
You have to calculate 125% of $15,150 so the total shown on the W2 needs to be approx $19,060
Old Feb 6th 2004, 11:52 am
Forum Regular

Sunil,

Thanks again.

Help really appreciated.

Thanks a ton,
Mickey79

1) 1-864 Does not have to be sealed.
2) Notary is for signature only, you may change the data on the form, but why take a chance?
3) Minimum income requirement from the Poverty Guidelines chart for the year of 2003 is $ 15,150 for this household size.
4) $15,150 is the final figure for a family of two.
5) Efile or Telefile, the taxpayer has to complete a worksheet which comes with the booklet every year. The taxpayer then signs, and notes the confirmation number on the worksheet. This worksheet is now your tax document, that embassy will accept.
Hope that helped. By the way, i am in the US. My wife is will be going for the interview by herself. US embassy in Delhi issues the VISA on the same day. Can't wait to see her again!!
Old Feb 6th 2004, 11:54 am
SUPER CRUNCHY BALCONY COW

Hypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond repute

2) Notary is for signature only, you may change the data on the form, but why take a chance?
3) Minimum income requirement from the Poverty Guidelines chart for the year of 2003 is $ 15,150 for this household size.
5) Efile or Telefile, the taxpayer has to complete a worksheet which comes with the booklet every year. The taxpayer then signs, and notes the confirmation number on the worksheet. This worksheet is now your tax document, that embassy will accept.
Hope that helped. By the way, i am in the US. My wife is will be going for the interview by herself. US embassy in Delhi issues the VISA on the same day. Can't wait to see her again!!
GOOD LUCK TO YOUR WIFE!!!!
Let us know how everything went, please!!
Old Feb 6th 2004, 5:32 pm
Forum Regular

Sunil!

Thanks a ton! My wife is sending me the corrected pages from the I-864. I'll bunch it up with the rest of it. Everything else is good.

I can't wait to get the visa and fly back to my wife.. can't wait to be with her again!

Stay great in US.. i'll keep you updated with what's happening here.

Cheers & thanks,
Mickey
Old Feb 6th 2004, 5:34 pm
Forum Regular

Originally posted by Hypertweeky
Hi Mickey!

My lawyer sent me the I-134 (Affidavit of support) along with the original documentation, I opened it to put it with the rest of the stuff I was bringing to my interview and I didn't have any problems. My interview was for a K3, what's yours for? K1? K3?
Hey Hypertweeky,

I took the DCF route in New Delhi, applying for the Spouse Visa. Have the interview on 19th... cant wait to be back in US with wife.

Stay great,
Mickey79

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.