Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

Help!: Fiance visiting, Need Info!

Help!: Fiance visiting, Need Info!

Old Mar 17th 2003, 7:05 pm
Just Joined

daveL is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Help!: Fiance visiting, Need Info!

I've posted along this line a week or two ago and didn't get too many responses. Myu fiance is visitting next week, a four week stay. I submitted I-129F November 16. Will this be a disaster at the border, denial at POE? Or is it reasonable? She will have a letter from employer back home (Australia), and landlord showing she has ties to home country. I may go over the edge if she comes all the way here and is denied entry! Over The Edge! -----Any relevant experiences or info much appreciated
Thanks, Dave
Old Mar 17th 2003, 7:19 pm
BE Forum Addict

DCMark is just really niceDCMark is just really niceDCMark is just really niceDCMark is just really niceDCMark is just really niceDCMark is just really niceDCMark is just really niceDCMark is just really niceDCMark is just really niceDCMark is just really niceDCMark is just really nice

Generally, from posts on this board, you should be ok. She needs proof that she is going back of course.

Good luck
Old Mar 17th 2003, 8:15 pm
BE Enthusiast

JeffB is an unknown quantity at this point

Generally this allowed entry with proof of ties is only valid if your Fiancee' is from countries that receive preferencial treatment. If you do some checking you will find quite a number of "horror" stories about Fiancee's being turned away. I really don't wish to add any discomfort in your plight to spend time with your Fiancee', I know that every second apart hurts like hell, but I think you should be aware of the risks. From what I understand the rule to be is that if the POE officers find out you have a boyfriend/girlfriend, Fiancee' or Spouse here in the US they are supposed to turn you away till you have the proper Visa, again like I said,unless you are from a country that receives preferential treatment. In my own situation I wouldn't feel the chances of my Fiancee' getting past the POE would be very good, she is from Nigeria and they get zero preferential anything from all I have seen so far.
This wasn't meant as a sarcastic post, hope it doesn't come out that way.
Old Mar 17th 2003, 9:15 pm
Forum Regular

hmiller is an unknown quantity at this point

My fiance' and I filed our K1 application in June and he came for a stay in the US in November and didn't have any problems getting through the POE.

When he came through he just said he was visiting family. He did bring evidence that he would be returning to his home country and they did ask him questions pertaining to his return and after looking in the computer they asked if he was planning on getting married this visit, so we assumed they were able to see we filed for a K1 visa.

Other than that, no problems at all. And we actually received our approval while he was visiting

Good luck!
Old Mar 17th 2003, 10:03 pm
BE Enthusiast

robclews is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Help!: Fiance visiting, Need Info!

Originally posted by daveL
I've posted along this line a week or two ago and didn't get too many responses. Myu fiance is visitting next week, a four week stay. I submitted I-129F November 16. Will this be a disaster at the border, denial at POE? Or is it reasonable? She will have a letter from employer back home (Australia), and landlord showing she has ties to home country. I may go over the edge if she comes all the way here and is denied entry! Over The Edge! -----Any relevant experiences or info much appreciated
Thanks, Dave
I visited twice during the fiance visa process from the UK, both times without issue. I was also self employed and had no way of getting employers references to say i would return, just had bank account, credit card info and utility bills on hand to prove my ties, as it happened i needed none of them,

Rob
Old Mar 17th 2003, 11:04 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by JeffB
<snip>From what I understand the rule to be is that if the POE officers find out you have a boyfriend/girlfriend, Fiancee' or Spouse here in the US they are supposed to turn you away till you have the proper Visa, again like I said,unless you are from a country that receives preferential treatment. <snip>
I'll highlight it for you in case you were wondering about being called out for 'talking out your ass'.

That statement about the POE is not correct.

The part about 'preferential treatment' is highly subjective, and not what I'd call correct.
Old Mar 18th 2003, 2:24 am
BE Enthusiast

JeffB is an unknown quantity at this point

If you dissagree with me warning people about being turned away at the POE, I suggest you do as I reccomended and look up the numerous people who have been sent back to their home country in tears with shattered dreams of being able to spend Christmas with their future families here in the US. It happens to people from 3rd world countries very frequently. And contrary to the beleif of some, I don't wish to see people in tears and misfortune. But I sure know some very sad people taking a very long, lonely, tearful planeride back home, it makes me cringe thinking how awful that must have been. I am going to remind everyone how fortunate some of us are because of where we live or where we were born, everyone is not treated equally in the world. And yes, some countries do get preferential treatment, how could anyone even dispute that?
And what is wrong with that post? If you are from the UK or some of the other European countries, travel to the US is very common while family visa's are in process. But visa's are not easy in every country, most countries if they even suspect a traveler has a relationship with someone in the US they will just deny the Visa immediatly. A family visa in process in most countries can all but guarantee a denial of a tourist visa and if a visa is given, the traveler is at risk of being turned right around at the POE and sent home.
I missed the part about being called out, the ignore feature is working I guess.
Old Mar 18th 2003, 3:27 am
Forum Regular

surfsbabe will become famous soon enough

Jeff, you dont even have to be from a third world country to be refused entry at POE or a visa in the first place. I am Australian and I DO have a life here. However, before my fiance and I were engaged we wanted for me to spend some time in the U.S., see if I liked it etc. I applied for a tourist visa so I could have longer there if I wanted than the 90 days on visa waiver. The visa was denied because being female and single I was deemed to have immigrant intent. The consequence of that is that once you are denied a visa you can never travel on visa waiver again. I have seen here and on other sites stories of other Aussies who have been sent back at POE also, so I think it comes down to luck of the draw as to who interviews you at the Consulate or at the POE and that person's mood at the time.